Habs' off-season moves (all trades, proposals & free agent talk here) VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

prairie hab

Jul 4, 2007
SK
Yes to Lapierre and the dman.

6'2", playoff-performer, good on the draw, excellent on the PK, entertaining as hell, surprisingly soft hands. Lapierre's a Montrealer to boot. I want him to come home.

Your description is somewhat accurate.
How you describe Lapierre as a playoff performer however is comical. Go look at his career playoff stats.
I like to think Lappy has matured a bit, but one thing he cannot shake is reputation. Officials still have it out for him - this does not help a team.....

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
Your description is somewhat accurate.
How you describe Lapierre as a playoff performer however is comical. Go look at his career playoff stats.
I like to think Lappy has matured a bit, but one thing he cannot shake is reputation. Officials still have it out for him - this does not help a team.....

I'm not some big time Lapierre lover, but you don't actually really measure a 4th liner's contributions in the playoffs by point totals, do you?

Galchenyuk4habs

Nov 13, 2011
Montreal
The best part about signing Nystrom would be having both Eric Nystrom and Erik Nyström as part of the organization and proceed to confuse everyone.

Yeah it has already confused me before lol
Nystrom does fight a lot, but not particularly tough customers to be fairly honest...
http://www.hockeyfights.com/players/3062/fightcard/reg2013

He brings sand paper, but no intimidation factor whatsoever
We need a Heavy..

prairie hab

Jul 4, 2007
SK
I'm not some big time Lapierre lover, but you don't actually really measure a 4th liner's contributions in the playoffs by point totals, do you?

No you do not. And I was not the one who called him "playoff performer" in the first place, thus my mention.

Last edited by a moderator:

Galchenyuk4habs

Nov 13, 2011
Montreal
Plek is our most important forward. This is EXACTLY why other teams want him :laugh:
You can't trade our spare parts for good players, other GM's are not stupid, apperently they are smarter than MB at this point :laugh: :help:

Mike Mike Caron

Aug 29, 2010
Because it's true or because you don't agree? If you disagree, I'd love to hear you who think out of our roster is more important.

I Kind of agree, that's the depressing part. Patch could be the most valuable but he wasn't that good this season, Bourque was our best forward in the playoffs.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
I Kind of agree, that's the depressing part. Patch could be the most valuable but he wasn't that good this season, Bourque was our best forward in the playoffs.

I don't find it depressing. If people used the same excuse for pleks that they do for DD, well, I don't know, I've never seen it happen ;)

Flank pleks with two big powerforwards that everyone wants to do with DD and you get the best first line we've had since before koivu. He's not an elite #1, but he does everything well. I'm a big eller fan but he's not there yet, imo, and we won't have a center that can take over for pleks for at least another year, probably more.

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York

Well, Pacioretty was our best forward two years ago (too bad the team was ****) and guys like Galchenyuk and even Eller can make their case soon enough, but for now I'd still be more afraid of losing Plekanec than another forward on this team, unless the return is ridiculous.

I don't understand why some Habs fans seemed ashamed of Plekanec, a player the organization drafted and developed. I get not liking his perimeter game or finding his play style more boring than some others, but he's a well above average center even if he's not elite.

Galchenyuk4habs

Nov 13, 2011
Montreal
I don't find it depressing. If people used the same excuse for pleks that they do for DD, well, I don't know, I've never seen it happen ;)

Flank pleks with two big powerforwards that everyone wants to do with DD and you get the best first line we've had since before koivu. He's not an elite #1, but he does everything well. I'm a big eller fan but he's not there yet, imo, and we won't have a center that can take over for pleks for at least another year, probably more.

Having zero team toughness is a bigger issue than Eller being our #1 center going into next season. I'm sure he would not be as good as Pleky, but Toronto had Bozak all year long as their #1 center.

Banjo Cat

May 31, 2007
I don't understand why some Habs fans seemed ashamed of Plekanec, a player the organization drafted and developed. I get not liking his perimeter game or finding his play style more boring than some others, but he's a well above average center even if he's not elite.

I like Plekanec. He is a unique player. But I think we should be open to trading him. Doesn't mean we have to. But I have no problem with Bergevin sniffing or snuffing or whatever he was supposedly doing.

Lions999

Jun 28, 2011
I would like to see the Habs go after Matt Martin and Travis Hamonic for DD and Travis Moen. Hamonic is a young D with good size and played all 48 games and averaged over 20 min. a game and shoots R.

prairie hab

Jul 4, 2007
SK
Then what stats are you suggesting we look at? I was assuming you weren't talking about sabremetrics, but I could have been wrong.

Recall a time when you ever heard "playoff performer" and Lapierre in the same sentence.

Maybe that is why his playoff "production" is below his average season point and hit totals.

Again I was not the one who brought it up. I felt the need to challenge him being acclaimed as some sort of "playoff performer".

FinnHab

May 24, 2006
overseas...
http://www.habsaddict.com/2013/07/habs-sign-daniel-briere-to-two-year.html

With the Free Agency period slated to open at noon on Friday, the Canadiens will be looking to get meaner and tougher up front whether they manager to sign a big UFA or acquire a tough and gritty forward via trade.

Bergevin is currently working the phones to address the Habs' glaring size problem and the names currently mentioned as trade baits are Gionta, Desharnais and Plekanec. A team that is rumored to be talking with the Canadiens are the St. Louis Blues who are looking to add quality center after pivot Andy McDonald announced his retirement earlier this summer.

Playmaker David Perron and power forward Chris Stewart are currently on the market and would interest the Canadiens. Perron, 25, recorded 25 points in 48 contests last season after missing parts of the previous two seasons with concussion symptoms. Stewart, a 25-yeard-old RFA, had a solid season in 2012-13, notching 18 goals and 18 assists for 36 points in 48 games.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
Recall a time when you ever heard "playoff performer" and Lapierre in the same sentence.

Maybe that is why his playoff "production" is below his average season point and hit totals.

Again I was not the one who brought it up. I felt the need to challenge him being acclaimed as some sort of "playoff performer".

I never said he was a playoff performer. I think he played well for vancouver in their run, but I can't quite recall. Wasn't saying you were wrong, just that I didn't understand what stats you were talking about.

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York
I like Plekanec. He is a unique player. But I think we should be open to trading him. Doesn't mean we have to. But I have no problem with Bergevin sniffing or snuffing or whatever he was supposedly doing.

Yeah, there's absolutely no problem with that. Same with everyone on this team really. The problem is moving Plekanec for Perron or Stewart and going into next season with probably the worst center tandem in the league, all to get a 2nd line winger.

Having crummy center depth sinks a team far more often than a lack of toughness.

Apparently we should follow the Toronto model. Which means trade what we can for a player as ridiculously good as Kessel and pair him with another winger shooting 30% so they can carry a 3rd line center.

Banjo Cat

May 31, 2007
Yeah, there's absolutely no problem with that. Same with everyone on this team really. The problem is moving Plekanec for Perron or Stewart and going into next season with probably the worst center tandem in the league, all to get a 2nd line winger.

I wonder if that's the only option though. I mean Plekanec should attract a few teams' interest.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
I wonder if that's the only option though. I mean Plekanec should attract a few teams' interest.

The only good idea with regards to pleks is either waiting until someone can truly fill in for him and having someone behind THAT guy who can fill in for HIM, say when Eller and galchenyuk are ready

OR

You make a trade for a superior center. Not many teams are trading top 6 two way centers, because it's generally a bad idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad