Habs' off-season moves (all trades, proposals & free agent talk here) VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marc-E-

Sep 19, 2004
Montréal, Québec
We already knew that we gonna build this hockey club by drafts. Due to the poor free agency (there's non frenzy this year in the pool) Would rather take a cool off by not bringing anyone from the free market and wait for opportunities via trades?

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
I hijacked your thread since the other off-season moves thread was at the limit...figured this would accomplish about the same thing.

That Habs Fan

Nov 29, 2008
Toronto
The more I think about it, the more I hope we target Nathan Horton, who has made it clear he's not going back to Boston (thank god, not that he's their best player or anything, but, anything that makes them worse is a-ok by me!)

Pacioretty-Desharnais-Horton
Galchenyuk-Eller-Gallagher
Bourque-Plekanec-Gionta
Prust-White-Moen/Dumont

:yo:

blarneylad

Feb 1, 2009
We already knew that we gonna build this hockey club by drafts. Due to the poor free agency (there's non frenzy this year in the pool) Would rather take a cool off by not bringing anyone from the free market and wait for opportunities via trades?

Let other teams strap themselves against the cap with players like Lecavalier, Iginla, Clarkson and Horton.

Though I would be all for a 5 year 25M deal for Clarkson.

grab a guy like briere for one year and trade him at deadline should habs be out of race. continue the rebuild. Let the youngsters learn from a Pro like Briere for the season.

WG

Sep 9, 2008
The more I think about it, the more I hope we target Nathan Horton, who has made it clear he's not going back to Boston (thank god, not that he's their best player or anything, but, anything that makes them worse is a-ok by me!)

Pacioretty-Desharnais-Horton
Galchenyuk-Eller-Gallagher
Bourque-Plekanec-Gionta
Prust-White-Moen/Dumont

:yo:

Horton apparently looking for $6M per on a long term deal. Big pass for a guy who is one hit away from being turned into a pumpkin. At the risk of being overly pessimistic the UFA crop is pretty terrible and any of the "big" names are going to go for way too much. Clarkson is going to get $5M as a 40-point guy; Clowe is a shell of what he was but he'll still get 3-4 years; hell, we're talking about going 4 years, $16M plus for Pascal friggin' Dupuis.

The only sensible moves on forwards will be guys like Jagr who will only get 1-2 years. Michael Ryder's last deal was just 2 years and frankly if he'd take 2 years at $4 per that would be a lot more sensible than going long term on the so-called top tier.

If the team is looking to add extra depth on D then I'd look at Tyson Strachan and possibly Jon Blum, who was not qualified by Nashville but is just 24.

prairie hab

Jul 4, 2007
SK
And try to find a top 6 with size via trade also?

Philly will need to move salaries.

Hartnell, Talbot, even Couturier can likely be had. On defense there are tons of rumours around Coburn and Mezsaros.

I doubt Philly trades in conference but you never know. I would not mind either of the d-men. Couturier would come at a steep price however in terms of picks or prospects. Talbot might be ok, but Hartnell has an atrocious contract.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
I'll predict the next rumors : Daniel Briere, Mike Ribeiro, P.M. Bouchard, Simon Gagne, Guillaume Latendresse, Matt Lombardi, Benoit Pouliot, Jose Theodore, and a few others... they're ALL interested in playing for the Habs, every single one of them.

GoHabsGo76

Fire Bergevin
Apr 16, 2009
Hawthorne, NJ
My expectations for this offseason are currently in a nosedive that gets worse every day. At this point I'd be happy with Clarkson being our main signing. Wouldn't mind bringing Lapierre back either.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Vancouver is another team in cap hell. 16 players signed and $3m in space.

Sestito could be had cheap - didn't we try to get him on waivers? Malhotra would add depth at centre and assuming his eye issue is okay, is a great competitor. Always loved his play.

Could angle for Kessler, but Gillis is a moron and would want Subban.

Feb 20, 2012
Calgary
Most of the names being thrown around are horrible. Bottom line is we need some size on the wings and a dman. I would go after Edler and then add some toughness like McGrattan and see if we can get Kyle Clifford from LA. No Briere ever!!!!

Banjo Cat

May 31, 2007
Horton apparently looking for $6M per on a long term deal. Big pass for a guy who is one hit away from being turned into a pumpkin.

I do think Horton will want big bucks and someone will probably dish it out. That's free agency for ya. But I'd still hope we were interested. No harm.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Let's face it, it's a weak UFA market this year. We're better continuing the rebuild, add some grit on the D and on the fourth line and that's it.

Dominator13

Feb 20, 2003
hockey city
Dominator13
Most of the names being thrown around are horrible. Bottom line is we need some size on the wings and a dman. I would go after Edler and then add some toughness like McGrattan and see if we can get Kyle Clifford from LA. No Briere ever!!!!
We need a D-man? Really? Markov, Subban, Gorges, Emelin, Diaz, Bouillon, Beaulieu, Tinordi and Dreweski think otherwise...

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
Ribeiro would do wonders for our team in the short term. We never really replaced him since Gainey huffed that can of paint and traded him. He's a legitimate #1 centre in the league and he's better than Pleks as a point producer.

Anyway, he's not coming here so there's no point talking about it and Eller/Galchenyuk and grow into the role.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad