Rumor: Habs made an offer to Gardiner, a multi-year offer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
44pts in 50 games in his D+1 season?

We're not talking a huge offensive output here.

Doesn't scream defensive d-men either.
Come on here, Mete's offensive number are not there yet and with his size, he'll have to put some numbers on the board in order to be consider a good top 4 D. I don't expect him to put 40-50 points season either, something around 25-30 would be fine.

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal
With Brook knocking at the door , Romanov coming probably next season , not sure if i want him . I think and hope that the d-squad will surprise us this year and that Brook will be our new Markov

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
He’s old enough and unhealthy enough he could have a sharp drop. Getting 50 points with TO’s forwards is easier than with our group. He’ll probably look markedly worse wherever he goes. 2 years max.

If he doesn’t want to play here he’s saving Bergevin from himself.

Last edited:

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Well we'd need to trade Weber and Price if we wanted to do that. As long as theyre on the team we have to be competitive.

And anyways we already have a ton of good prospects and a bunch of picks in next years draft. On top of that we already have 1 of the youngest NHL rosters. Adding a 28 year old w/ relatively high upside/low downside would be a win for us (assuming the term is good).

No one thought STL would win the cup or that Tampa would get swept in the first round. Our roster is solid, we can definitely cause a surprise. Once we're in the playoffs it becomes a battle of will and stamina.

With the smallest set of wingers league wide... And left side on D made up of bargain bin journeymen and a scoreless 20 y/old...

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Doesn't scream defensive d-men either.
Come on here, Mete's offensive number are not there yet and with his size, he'll have to put some numbers on the board in order to be consider a good top 4 D. I don't expect him to put 40-50 points season either, something around 25-30 would be fine.
I just don't think he's ever going to be a big point producer, I don't think that's where he'll provide the most value.

It's not because he's small and fast that he should be labelled an offensive Dman.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
I just don't think he's ever going to be a big point producer, I don't think that's where he'll provide the most value.

It's not because he's small and fast that he should be labelled an offensive Dman.

You may not like the "label", but that's exactly how he was described by various scouting publications (2 pre-draft, one post-nhl debut)

"Mete is among the best offensive defenders available in the draft"

"An undersized, offensive-minded, puck-moving defenceman."

"Mete will need some time to develop physically, but he's got potential as a smooth offensive defenseman at the NHL level."

Beendair Donedat

Punk in Drublic
Dec 29, 2010
Truth or Consequences, NM

It would be much harder to label him a defensive defenseman.

But that sums up the Habs perfectly. Our offensive guys can’t score, our small guys play big, and character trumps talent 180 percent of the time here with the dropout in charge.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
I got no problem signing Gardiner if terms are good. Weber should cover up his defensive liabilities. Making him look a lot better than he is. Which result in getting a high trade return for him a couple of years down the road. When the prospects are ready.

However,, can only protect so many d-men. Who are we going to protect? Kulak or Chariot?

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
I got no problem signing Gardiner if terms are good. Weber should cover up his defensive liabilities. Making him look a lot better than he is. Which result in getting a high trade return for him a couple of years down the road. When the prospects are ready.

However,, can only protect so many d-men. Who are we going to protect? Kulak or Chariot?

Either

Fazkovsky

Sep 4, 2013
29 is my age too

Should i apply for retirement?

Joking aside, gardiner would be okay with Webs. Chariot with Petry. Mete-kulak

Decent

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
I would do it for max 4 years. Salary amount is less important. I could see him succeed here but he has injuries. He can't be a long term gamble.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
By the way they have to get an LD anyway. They can't go into the season with this defense. NYR and Devils got better this summer among others.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
With the smallest set of wingers league wide... And left side on D made up of bargain bin journeymen and a scoreless 20 y/old...

Imo the recipe to building a strong team in the cap era is to allocate the biggest portion of ur cap into good centers and D. It's much easier to find cheap value wingers, look at guys like Tatar, hell even Weal was a really solid pickup (even tho hes actually a solid C as well).

Small wingers don't bother me much as long as they play like Byron/Domi (not a winger but u get it)/Gally etc. You can find a lot of high value players that way. You can compensate for having small wingers by having a big/strong center group (Poehling/KK, even Danault is very strong on his skates) and D-men.

That said it would obviously be nice to have a winger like Wilson or Josh Anderson. Having a big intimidating winger that can play up your line-up is a nice perk to have.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
You may not like the "label", but that's exactly how he was described by various scouting publications (2 pre-draft, one post-nhl debut)

"Mete is among the best offensive defenders available in the draft"

"An undersized, offensive-minded, puck-moving defenceman."

"Mete will need some time to develop physically, but he's got potential as a smooth offensive defenseman at the NHL level."
Scouting publications can be wrong or parrot commonalities based on a players size or profile of what he should be.

Again, offensive defensman is not how is describe Victor Mete. Which doesn't mean he can provide offense mind you.

But he never produced big points in London...when be played for Team Canada at the WJC's, it was in a shut down role on a pairing with Timmins (IIRC).

He's not an instinctual offensive player IMO...yes, he has certain attributes that lead you to believe he should be able to chip in offensively.

But I don't believe thats where he'll provide the most value in the NHL.

And since we're quoting scouting publications, here's a take on Victor Mete

A small two-way defenseman with excellent skating abilities and tremendous quickness. Victor Mete reads the play well and competes for the puck, but needs to get stronger in order to contain his men better along the boards. Has good vision and makes a good 1st pass out of his zone and can makes quick plays, although he tends to play too overhasty and more poise with the puck would suit his game well. He can rush with the puck, making good use of his speed and is not afraid to join the offense, as his offensive instincts are still developing. Mete is not known for his shot, but he is a smart shooter, using seeing-eye shots, which are ideal for his forwards to deflect. Has untapped offensive potential and can be used in all situations

This seems like more of an accurate picture of Mete's game...he still has room to grow offensively, but to call him an offensive Dman at this point of his career, would not be accurate IMO.

This is a player who put up 105pts in 175 OHL games...

Last edited:

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
itwould be much harder to label him a defensive defenseman.

But that sums up the Habs perfectly. Our offensive guys can’t score, our small guys play big, and character trumps talent 180 percent of the time here with the dropout in charge.
Why? Cause he's small?

Maybe he's just a 2 way player?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Hopefully we won't get reverse-Komisareked by the Leafs.

If we sign Gardner, we will get reversed-Komisareked IMO. Gardner playing on a less skilled team and a PP like ours will result in another Beaulieu type player who has a hard time putting up 25 pts and will makes critical mistakes in their own end.

Plus Gardner wants to be a Leafs. I'd be shocked if he signs with the Habs. Rather have a cheaper Chariot to be honest.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
If we sign Gardner, we will get reversed-Komisareked IMO. Gardner playing on a less skilled team and a PP like ours will result in another Beaulieu type player who has a hard time putting up 25 pts and will makes critical mistakes in their own end.

Plus Gardner wants to be a Leafs. I'd be shocked if he signs with the Habs. Rather have a cheaper Chariot to be honest.

Yeah, but his wife wants to be closer to home :sarcasm:

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad