Rumor: Habs made an offer to Gardiner, a multi-year offer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

habergeon

Apr 15, 2015
Gorges wasn't drafted.

But what is Mete...he's not shutdown D-men, lack size for that and can't clean the front of his net.
He's not an offensive D-men, at least not with this production…...

He's mobile, very good skater….good passing.
He's not use on the PP, not really use on the PK.

Still have hopes for him, still very young for a D, but right now, he's a 3rd pairing D producing less than Benn.

It's too early to label Mete anything right now. I too have high hopes for him.

In junior, he was a shut down defenseman and used against players like McDavid. The NHL game has changed drastically, and elite speed and good stick work / positioning are playing a bigger role in being a shut down defenseman. It's kind of interesting that we have the prototypical old school shut down defenseman in the physical behemoth that is Shea Weber, and the prototypical new school type that relies on speed / smarts as opposed to size.

Mete can play top 4 and not look out of place, but I would love to see him on the bottom six / second unit of the pp. Playing with Weber, he will always be looking to pass. He needs to get a bit more greedy and generating offense on his own.

If we can get Mete to 30-40 points, playing great D and putting in a solid 18+ minutes a night and not hurting us, that would be incredible.

habsfan891

Jun 24, 2012
Nova Scotia
Gaston Therrien commented post-practice today that Josh Brook has played a lot on the left side in the past, and that Clode would consider that in terms of icing the best 6 D he can for opening night. Not saying Gaston is any kind of credible, just that it could be a possibility in Clode's mind going into a season where he needs to make the PO.

Gardiner comes with term and a relatively high AAV. Some serious injury potential, and Brisebois-like reputation in the PO.

Only one more year to go before Tsar Time, and 2 to 3 years before a more mature Struble gets a shot at main camp. Harris with an outsider's chance to make the NHL. Mete and Kulak probably here for several years.

I know Jake makes us better right now. I still pass if I'm Bergevin, and I have no issue explaining that to Carey or Shea.
If Claude actually tries to ruin Brook by playing him on the left side to "make the playoffs" I'll be pissed we already saw this song and dance with team Canada it didn't work well.

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
Gaston Therrien commented post-practice today that Josh Brook has played a lot on the left side in the past, and that Clode would consider that in terms of icing the best 6 D he can for opening night. Not saying Gaston is any kind of credible, just that it could be a possibility in Clode's mind going into a season where he needs to make the PO.

Gardiner comes with term and a relatively high AAV. Some serious injury potential, and Brisebois-like reputation in the PO.

Only one more year to go before Tsar Time, and 2 to 3 years before a more mature Struble gets a shot at main camp. Harris with an outsider's chance to make the NHL. Mete and Kulak probably here for several years.

I know Jake makes us better right now. I still pass if I'm Bergevin, and I have no issue explaining that to Carey or Shea.

If he’s injured and he goes on LTIR, so that’s really irrelevant.

Gardiner would be better than Brook playing the left side, actually he’d be our best LD by a wide margin.

If he’s ok with 2-3 years he’s a good gamble, IMO.

Grand Admiral Thrawn

May 24, 2012
Montreal
I'm not too worried about Gardiner signing with Habs.

I mean didn't he say he doesn't want to play in Montreal?

I don't much care for him, I think Mete will have a great year this season and put doubters to rest

Reactions: Frank JT

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
If we sign Gardner, we will get reversed-Komisareked IMO. Gardner playing on a less skilled team and a PP like ours will result in another Beaulieu type player who has a hard time putting up 25 pts and will makes critical mistakes in their own end.

Plus Gardner wants to be a Leafs. I'd be shocked if he signs with the Habs. Rather have a cheaper Chariot to be honest.

The only way it would make some sense is if he agrees to a short term deal (2 years or less). Bergevin will need caproom for the critical 2021 offseason, with all the expiring contracts of critical players and the Seattle expansion draft.

To be reverse-Komisareked is a quite scary thing.

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Gardiner is putrid defensively, will command a decently high cap hit ( something habs will need going foward more than people think). Signing a guy with known back problem who is already 29 year old long time is bad idea.

Gardiner is a bandaid. Not a longterm solution. Bandaids are the reason Montreal stayed mediocre for the last 20 year old. Can we be patient for once.

for once ? we went a calendar decade with no NHL 1C and the only reply was " meh, what are you going to do?"
patience means that when the new guys are ready, the guys who are ready now ( and upon whom we depend) will be on the way out. so its swapping one set of problems for another equally big set of problems.

I am not a big fan of Gardner, but if we signed him he would be our best LHD next season. could mete develop into a better player ? I hope so then we actually have two NHL caliber players on the left side.

we , in quite reamarkable amount of time, went from no center depth to quite a bit, or ld has been problematic for a while now, but if we dont fix our LD ( and if Gardiner is not what scratches the itch, neither is chariot.

Can you imagine we finally fill the hole down the middle and dont have an equally gaping hole on defense how much better a team we would be ?

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Gardiner is not the bad defenseman Leafs fans would like everyone to believe. If he does sign with us, he'll make us a better team.
He will never shake the game 7 debacle vs the Bruins. This guy is a good Dman. He is also a good point producer, and good on the PP.
He is exactly the type of guy who could play with Weber.

If the Habs make a trade to get rid of cap, this could the guy who signs on with the Habs...

Grand Admiral Thrawn

May 24, 2012
Montreal
Didn't the Habs give out a bunch of contracts that ended in 2021 to insure they wouldn't need to protect said players with exoired contracts for the Expansion draft thus keeping as much of the core as possible?

I would assume this was a planed strategy and the players are aware of this as well. The team must be ready for 2021.

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
Gardiner has a bad reputation but IMO he will look A LOT better partnered with Shea Weber than he did with awful Zaitsev and then his offensive contribution will be helpful. My main worry is his back injury.

Jul 6, 2016
He will never shake the game 7 debacle vs the Bruins. This guy is a good Dman. He is also a good point producer, and good on the PP.
He is exactly the type of guy who could play with Weber.

If the Habs make a trade to get rid of cap, this could the guy who signs on with the Habs...

If they put Alzner, Peca and Weise in Laval, they gonna have the cap space.

Aug 25, 2009
éal
Gardiner had 30 points in 62 games while being a mess on his own zone (0.48 PPG)
Kulak 17 points in 57 games and he did ok defensively in his 2nd full season only (0.3 PPG)

One of them is gonna cost you nothing, the other one... might cost you a long-term albatross

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I think Gardiner would be our best LD... but not by THAT much, and not for long, and could end up being our 3LD as soon as next season. We could use the improvement, but what little improvement we get won't be worth whatever needed to sign him.

(Now, had we not signed Chiarot, things would be different)

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Yes, quite obviously.

I posted a quote from a publication in part of the post that you edited.

Did you have any thoughts about that one?

That the description doesn't seem to be in opposition to the idea that he's an "offensive Dman" unless one interprets the label to imply weak or deficient defensive ability.

At the NHL level, Mete's game seems more in line with "offensive Dman" insofar as that's interpreted to mean his strengths are more aligned to transition/puck moving, playmaking, pp et (in other words, offensive aspects of the game).
That doesn't mean weakness or inability in the defensive zone, and considering his strengths in hockey IQ, skating and stickwork, "2-way" label also fits.

Simple question back to you:
30 seconds to play, do you think Mete is better suited to be on the ice in a PP/ extra-attacker role with the team needing to score, or in a shut down role (pk/extra-attacker) with the team needing to preserve the win?

(* ignoring what other roster players are available, purely from the lens of which role you think his strengths are best suited for)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad