Rumor: Habs made an offer to Gardiner, a multi-year offer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
I think Gardiner would be our best LD... but not by THAT much, and not for long, and could end up being our 3LD as soon as next season. We could use the improvement, but what little improvement we get won't be worth whatever needed to sign him.

(Now, had we not signed Chiarot, things would be different)

Unless you think we're signing Josi & Krug next summer, 3 LD behind who?

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Gardiner is not the bad defenseman Leafs fans would like everyone to believe. If he does sign with us, he'll make us a better team.
He is constantly blundering under pressure and below average at defending... I call it crap, I highly doubt Bergevin is on Gardiner...

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
He is constantly blundering under pressure and below average at defending... I call it crap, I highly doubt Bergevin is on Gardiner...

Why? Didn't Bergevin signed Alzner not that long ago? And Gardiner would have been a fine partner to Weber. Weber isn't Zaitsev.

Price4Prez

Nov 20, 2007
Some of you are forgetting one thing. Gardiner had to WANT to sign in Montreal. Bergy can offer all the contracts he wants. If the player has no desire, cant do much abt it.

Reactions: John B and Harpo

OB5

May 2, 2015
Some of you are forgetting one thing. Gardiner had to WANT to sign in Montreal. Bergy can offer all the contracts he wants. If the player has no desire, cant do much abt it.

That's on Bergevin though.

Price4Prez

Nov 20, 2007
That's on Bergevin though.

Bergevin didnt create Montreals allure. Taxes, weather, media isnt on Bergevin. In Gardiners case, ill bet you he wanted nothing to do with the media after being in Toronto. Better off going to a no pressure Carolina and take it ez.

Reactions: John B and Hins77

Reiher

May 30, 2004
Vancouver

This ^, and my guess would be that he would have wanted more AAV to play here.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
Hmm a legitimately good puck moving defenseman

Or a terrible, anchor of a defenseman who is Alzner without broken hands.

What a tough choice.

Yeah, well it seems he makes mistakes. So you can't go with him. It's well known that everybody on our lineup do not make mistakes so Gardiner was a no-go..lol

And I was told that Bergevin NOW knows that the league is all about fast and skills. Reason why the last 2 big d-men signed for numerous seasons as UFA were Alzner and Chiarot. Thank god Bergie learned.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Unless you think we're signing Josi & Krug next summer, 3 LD behind who?

Both Kulak and Mete.
Gardiner is... well, a bit damaged.

(But HOLLLLLLY crap, I expected him to sign for much more than 4X4 and that changes pretty much everything)

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
Bergevin didnt create Montreals allure. Taxes, weather, media isnt on Bergevin. In Gardiners case, ill bet you he wanted nothing to do with the media after being in Toronto. Better off going to a no pressure Carolina and take it ez.

Media is overblown. Markov who hated the medias was able to be in Montreal with no problem and would come back tomorrow. Such an overrated subject. Weather? Yeah....it snows. Thank god Carolina has best weather. Not like hurricanes happen there. Not like this is the team's name either. Taxes? Yeah, in Montreal you have to overpay. It's not like we don't have the money to do so.

Do you know what compensates all of this? Quality of the team. And THAT'S Bergevin's fault.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Why? Didn't Bergevin signed Alzner not that long ago? And Gardiner would have been a fine partner to Weber. Weber isn't Zaitsev.

You have a point, Weber isnt Zaitsev, thats for sure, but Weber isnt getting younger and isnt the shadow of what he used to be with Nashville 3-4 yrs ago... I would rather see kids like Mete Kulak getting playing time and progressing rather than bringing a guy like Gardiner and miss the playoffs anyway... Between fighting with 3-4 teams for the 8th spot in the East, I would rather end up as low as possible for the year coming...

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Both Kulak and Mete.
Gardiner is... well, a bit damaged.

(But HOLLLLLLY crap, I expected him to sign for much more than 4X4 and that changes pretty much everything)

Yeah, 4M is low... Either the health concerns are even more pronounced than publicly known, or he really wanted the 4-yrs & his agent f-up royally by not getting a deal done in early July b4 most GMs with $ to spend went shopping.

I love your optimism for Mete & Kulak... Not sure I see either becoming 20+ min, .5ppg+ players by next year (certainly hope you're right)

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
You have a point, Weber isnt Zaitsev, thats for sure, but Weber isnt getting younger and isnt the shadow of what he used to be with Nashville 3-4 yrs ago... I would rather see kids like Mete Kulak getting playing time and progressing rather than bringing a guy like Gardiner and miss the playoffs anyway... Between fighting with 3-4 teams for the 8th spot in the East, I would rather end up as low as possible for the year coming...

I had a debate with 417, as I always do, as far as injuries are concerns and progression or regression of this team. Do you know an aspect we could progress and if lucky, just by progressing there we would make the playoffs? Powerplay. Tell me that Gardiner wouldn't help there.

If.....the goal is to make the playoffs. If not, fine, play the kids. And rebuild. Do not freakin stay in the middle 'cause you keep being a middle team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad