Rumor: Habs made an offer to Gardiner, a multi-year offer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Not sure about Gardiner but then again....i'm not sure about any of our left D.

I got high hopes for Mete...but an offensive d-men without a goal in 2 year and who got outproduce by Benn last year isn't really encouraging

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
BOLD: he's realy not.

people just don't get my point.
if He's a habs next year:
YES Gardiner will be the best offensive Dman next season, but thats not the point, the FIT is awful. like i stated above he's a bandaid, a short term solution that will end up a cap archor. Montreal is in no urge to win or contend. Gardiner will barely make a difference in a overall team success in his short peak and will damage the team for the rest of his contract.

Petry is better offensively than Gardiner and would have put up better numbers than Gardiner if he had the same forwards playing in front of him.

Reactions: HBDay

EveryDay

Jun 13, 2009
That is not even close to being true. Gardiner is a cream puff who doesn't compete in front of the net or along the boards.

That's a myth.

Also Karlsson/Chabot/Rielly/Sergachev/Mete/Ghost/and several others are not the most fierce player in front of their own net, does that mean that MTL should stay away from thoses players if they come available?

Should we fill our top 6 with 6 Chiarot?

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Not sure about Gardiner but then again....i'm not sure about any of our left D.

I got high hopes for Mete...but an offensive d-men without a goal in 2 year and who got outproduce by Benn last year isn't really encouraging
He's not an offensive Dman

He never has been

EveryDay

Jun 13, 2009
Petry is better offensively than Gardiner and would have put up better numbers than Gardiner if he had the same forwards playing in front of him.

Say who? Petry was playing 1st PP waves for most of the season while Gardiner is getting the remaining seconds that Rielly left him after he goes out with the first wave. When did Petry hit the 50 points mark?

Petry is a little better then him, that I agree but don't act like the holykawawa(sp) on the main board who's saying that Gardiner is a piece of trash... He would be fairly easily be MTL 3rd best defenceman and a welcome addition to our team(if healthy of course).

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Kulak is a better player longterm. Gardiner is having back issues which I doubt will improve as he gets older

Demon Wolf

Feb 22, 2013
Gardiner would upgrade our blueline for sure but I'd want no longer than three years on the contract.

Reactions: JayF

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
The fit is awful? I disagree, IF he's healthy he's an awesome fit for MTL. His transition game is on par with Petry and MTL would benefit a tons to pair that guy with Weber. And damage the team with his contract? how so? we don't even know how many years were talking here, it might be only 2 or 3 years....

And seriously you don't think MTL would benefit from having a quaterback on the PP? I don't get it honestly
Alright that conversation is over, you simply dismiss my point.
You want to win NOW
I want to build a competitive team for the years to come, i'm ready to be patient.
it's clearly stated in the "rumor" long term deal. i'd slightly overpay for Gardiner for a 1 year deal as a stop gap LHD but thats about it ( he can show other team he can stay healthy), Not committing long term to a 29 year old with back issues, when we have a young core coming. the Extension of our young players will come faster than you think trust me.

as much as people like to compare them, i don't think they are very similar, Petry moves the puck better in the Ozone but lacks offensive awarness in general, he constantly skates on the peremiter and takes shot from none existing angle while Gardiner creates more chances for himself and cuts down in danger zone wich create more scoring chances. Petry definitely has the better abilities, he just doesn't use them effectively... or very rarely.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

THE HOFF

Sep 26, 2007
Like many have said ; it all depends on the term and $$$.

After alzner, I think its normal to be a little scared hahah

Reactions: TesseractPrice

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Mete - Weber
Gardiner - Petry
Chariot - Kulak

is what I would start with if we get gardiner

I still would have preferred:

Mete Weber
Subban Petry
Kulak Juulsen/Chiarot

Or:

Gardiner Weber
Subban Petry
Kulak Mete/Juulsen

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004
He would great on the power play. We desperately need a left puck moving defenseman. If the cap hit is decent he would be a great addition.

EveryDay

Jun 13, 2009
Alright that conversation is over, you simply dismiss my point.
You want to win NOW
I want to build a competitive team for the years to come, i'm ready to be patient.
it's clearly stated in the "rumor" long term deal. i'd slightly overpay for Gardiner for a 1 year deal as a stop gap LHD but thats about it ( he can show other team he can stay healthy), Not committing long term to a 29 year old with back issues, when we have a young core coming. the Extension of our young players will come faster than you think trust me.

It doesn't say long term deal in the article, they call it multi-year contract offer witch could really be 2 years deal and of course I want to win now, I'm watching MTL games and want them to win EVERY games, it's in my nature and I believe every fans should feel the same.

I get that, we will need $$$ to sign our young players in the near future but look at our cap charts, MTL are far from been in trouble regarding cap space. We're almost certain already that Petry and Tatar won't be back in 2 years and Alzner will have only one year remaining to his deal,he might even be bought. I agree with you about long term deal tho, I want nothing to do with a 5-6-7 years deal for Gardiner but if he can agree on a 2 or 3 year deal, I'm more then fine if the cap is no more then 6M. Not sure what I would do if it's 4 years, I'm on the fence about that 4th year.....

Whatever, let's wait and see, I'm not the biggest fan of TFP to be honest, I feel like their just asking for clicks on their site.

Kent Nilsson

Imagine cringing at Brock Nelson like a moron
Jan 31, 2016
He would great on the power play. We desperately need a left puck moving defenseman. If the cap hit is decent he would be a great addition.

Hes not even particularly good on the PP. He has no shot and his strength lies within using his skating to move the puck. Also he’s not as bad defensively as HFhabs has him (it’s getting ridiculous).

I dont think he wants to come here anyway.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Gardiner is ridiculously underrated on this board. He played with Zaitsev or Hainsey, of course he will have some terrible moments. Weber makes players around him better and Gardiner would look great next to him.

I actually think that 2 would complete each other perfectly

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
Can Kulak or Chiarot play RD?

Gardiner - Weber
Mete - Petry
Chiarot/Kulak - Kulak/Chiarot

If the term is right i'd sign him.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Friedman was saying that Montreal has been interested all along, so this isn't news.

He also said Gardiner (and I'm paraphrasing) is not really interested in Montreal.

I don't really find this to be surprising news based on what was already known.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad