Post-Game Talk: Habs lose third in a row. Schedule only getting tougher.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
What gets to me is the double standard as well.

Savard and Gainey came in and rebuilt the organization top to bottom. The farm club consistently développed players who then graduated and got roster spots. He even looked outside the usual circles to promote Julien Brisebois.

The 2007-2008 was likely the best team we had since the cup. The year after, when be went all in, he actually built a stacked roster, that failed in part due to off ice issues. Yet, Holy crap was there so much finger pointing towards him from the media.

Contrast that with MB being gifted a roster capable of the ECF in year two who somehow managed to destroy the drafting and development, all while setting franchise mediocrity records. We're talking about a century old franchise. And MB manages to be the worst ever. Holy shit.

Yeah, it's complete hypocrisy. That's why I can't stand to watch or listen to a single one of them. Bunch of selfish, self-serving sycophant dimwits. May none of them cross my path, I won't be able to contain myself.

Zorba

May 26, 2011
DELTA BC
Alright, you could hate me for this.

IF Habs make the playoffs, you can only post positive comments in regards to the players/team during the first round. Win or lose, does not matter.

** Bet starts once the season is over until the team passes round 1 or gets eliminated.

*** The only way you could start posting negative comments during the first round is if I grant you permission.

Name the terms IF Habs miss the playoffs.
I’ll take it.
If they don’t you have to do 92 push-ups. In 10 minutes. I’ll be nice. Honour system

Reactions: PhysicX

Big Lurk

Aug 2, 2013
this. 100% with you on this. Perry is by far the best guy we have, just by the fact that his play was sooo consistent throughout the season. This guy is doing his job every f-ing game. Maybe too early to say but I believe Staal (if not already) will deliver the same value for what he is expected to do.

I really believe main problem is actually the coaching. Ducharme is absolutely not fit to get this team to a level where we are remotely competitive in the playoff especially in this division and in this season. We have the worst discipline in this division, excluding Ottawa. Most PIM, Most penalties taken. Can't handle any special teams scenario, 1-9 in OT, worst than Edm, Tor, Winnie in GA, PK%, PP% and we are also 30th in league in blocked shots and 5th in the league in Giveaways. We are also saying we are not creating chances, but we are 3rd in the league in Shots per game and 12th in Goals / Game. Who's to blame here? The season was over the moment Ducharme and his coaching staff took over. Making trades, bring players in an already faulty system with broken tactics won't do any miracles.

Maybe its the team then.

Maybe we are just not that well built and it is time to face it.

Is our top 6 better than the majority of our current div. rivals?

No.

Is our defense top 2 better than our div. rivals.

No.

Is our center line better than the majority of our current div. rivals?
No.

Claude couldnt get things done, Dom neither.
I dont see anyone willing to pay the price or finish checks or go in the corners.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Well Marc it seems like a different voice isn't making a difference. It was different players we needed all along. Only this time there is no way you should have any say in future plans. Oh and make sure that on your way out you thank Mr. President for that extra long extension he gave you after having accomplished absolutely nothing.
We all knew it would happen. In his 3rd year, yes his 3rd, he got extended to having 10 years
We are now in year 9 and ....................................................................he still does not know how to build a TEAM.

Reactions: Rapala and Runner77

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
We all knew it would happen. In his 3rd year, yes his 3rd, he got extended to having 10 years
We are now in year 9 and ....................................................................he still does not know how to build a TEAM.
Therrien.gif

:biglaugh:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

Clearly, MB should have been let go after the 2017-18 season — there was enough of a track record to show that he lacked essential qualities needed to build a club for contention.

No matter how many additions he’ll do between now and Monday afternoon, you can’t fix major systemic flaws with short term additions and trades. Most SC winning teams draft and develop their core players.

Someone decided that this team’s rebuild had ended further to a bogus play-in scheme that rewarded undeserving teams last season. I suspect the decision might have been different if someone else was involved — either a new GM and/or a President of Hockey Ops who is reputable and hails from the hockey world. Ball is once again in ownership’s court and I’m not holding much hope.

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
Clearly, MB should have been let go after the 2017-18 season — there was enough of a track record to show that he lacked essential qualities needed to build a club for contention.

No matter how many additions he’ll do between now and Monday afternoon, you can’t fix major systemic flaws with short term additions and trades. Most SC winning teams draft and develop their core players.

Someone decided that this team’s rebuild had ended further to a bogus play-in scheme that rewarded undeserving teams last season. I suspect the decision might have been different if someone else was involved — either a new GM and/or a President of Hockey Ops who is reputable and hails from the hockey world. Ball is once again in ownership’s court and I’m not holding much hope.

That ball has been dropped soo many times already that it's just mud now...

Reactions: Runner77 and BLONG7

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Even "Superstars" can and do learn from others to make themselves better...from coaches/vets/staffers/even other kids...even ol' Jebus wasn't perfect...
Sure but you need the talent to start with. Leaf had superstars and brought in a mix to help.
We have 2nd liners. Bringing in more old useless players does nothing.

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
Sure but you need the talent to start with. Leaf had superstars and brought in a mix to help.
We have 2nd liners. Bringing in more old useless players does nothing.
No, we had/have projects, just like every other team, and they needed to be brought along smartly, which they weren't/still aren't...most players, even high First Rounders, aren't a McJesus/Matthews/Eichel...good coaches/management groups know this and don't expect miracles on Day 1...

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
The GM has failed miserably at building a solid roster.
Price
Mete
Romanov
Lehkonen
Evans
Kotkaniemi
Gallagher

These are the current players drafted by this organization on the 23 man roster.
You can't get more abysmal than this.
In this day and age of a cap world you have to draft and develop your own talent.
Hiring your friends in the beginning is why we are in such a mess.

The damn owner OWNS all of this

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
Maybe its the team then.

Maybe we are just not that well built and it is time to face it.

Is our top 6 better than the majority of our current div. rivals?

No.

Is our defense top 2 better than our div. rivals.

No.

Is our center line better than the majority of our current div. rivals?
No.

Claude couldnt get things done, Dom neither.
I dont see anyone willing to pay the price or finish checks or go in the corners.

Thank you.
This team is poorly built and the GM for the past 10 years is responsible for that... he makes good trades (but we will be paying the lost Sergachev trade for a long time) but he has no strategic plan in place, Weber was a great player but was acquired at a point where it did not make sense because the team was not ready to compete. Price s contract ? Really ? Chiarot on the 1st line ? When Bergevin arrived this team went to Conference finals, where is MTL now ?

You end up in a place where your two key players are an overpaid goalie with injury history, an ageing slowing Dman whom you pair with other slow Dmen, and your centers are three years away from really being top 6 players...

At the start of the season I said MTL misses an elite goal scorer or an elite center and a top 2 puck moving Dman if MTL wants to contedn, I still believe this is the case.

Reactions: Big Lurk

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
The GM has failed miserably at building a solid roster.
Price
Mete
Romanov
Lehkonen
Evans
Kotkaniemi
Gallagher

These are the current players drafted by this organization on the 23 man roster.
You can't get more abysmal than this.
In this day and age of a cap world you have to draft and develop your own talent.
Hiring your friends in the beginning is why we are in such a mess.

The damn owner OWNS all of this

The GM has added players such as Petry, Chiarot, Edmundson, Toffoli, Danault, Anderson, Perry, Allen, Suzuki, Tatar, Weber, Drouin via trade or UFA without losing much. He is one of the best out there to build a team. That's a lot of talent he's added and has not lost many trades. Subban-Weber is a wash now, as is Pacioretty (fair deal). Sergachev for Drouin is probably his only bad move recently, along with signing Alzner. He has a ton of other good moves like getting Petry, Danault, Anderson, Toffoli, Perry, Allen for basically nothing.

You should fault the coaches (Lefebvre, Julien) and the scouts (Timmins) for our poor player development and drafting in general

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
The most interesting thing about the post-game interviews is that this team is all about "everyone is to blame, not a specific person".

Nobody is telling Weber is he playing like shit. It's the entire team fault.
Nobody is telling Drouin to stop thinking about having only two goals because he sucks once he does. It's the entire team fault.
Nobody is telling the coach to bring back Eddy/Petry. It's the entire team fault if these two can't carry dead weight on other pairs.
Nobody is telling the coach that Staal isn't a center anymore. It's the entire team fault.
Nobody is telling the coach Suzuki needs a break. It's the entire team fault.

There is zero player/coach accountability in this team. Zero! It's a bunch of narcissist losers who don't want to accept they are no that good. It's always "we will watch videos and get better" and not I did that badly.

I think in the last 3 years, I have only seen Allen and KK say something negative about their personal play.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
The GM has added players such as Petry, Chiarot, Edmundson, Toffoli, Danault, Anderson, Perry, Allen, Suzuki, Tatar, Weber, Drouin via trade or UFA without losing much. He is one of the best out there to build a team. That's a lot of talent he's added and has not lost many trades. Subban-Weber is a wash now, as is Pacioretty (fair deal). Sergachev for Drouin is probably his only bad move recently, along with signing Alzner. He has a ton of other good moves like getting Petry, Danault, Anderson, Toffoli, Perry, Allen for basically nothing.

You should fault the coaches (Lefebvre, Julien) and the scouts (Timmins) for our poor player development and drafting in general

Even if we accept the first part of your statement as true (because making good trades in a vacuum is NOT at all the same as building a team).

The bolded statement does not absolve Bergevin of blame. Who hired Lefebvre? Who hired Julien? Who hired Therrien? Who kept them employed as long as they were. Who kept Timmins? Who promoted Timmins? Who puts the player development staff in place? Who evaluates their performance? Who puts the scouting staff in place? Who evaluates their performance.

He is content with the job they did else they would still not be here.

swimmer77

More PIM's than Points
Jun 22, 2010
in water
Three in a row is not a good look. LOL Games have been fairly close with the exception of last night's debacle. CD made a good call IMO trying to negate that Jet goal. It just didn't work out. I'll speculate he knows his team is challenged in the scoring department especially without Gallagher. I think I would have criticized him more for not challenging. Anxious to see the adjustments for next game but CD has less to work with in losing Gallagher and Price.

I liked the young Romanov last night and the elderPerry. Weber continues his streak of at least one huge gaffe a game.

Oh, and just end Toronto's streak. :confused:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad