Post-Game Talk: Habs lose third in a row. Schedule only getting tougher.

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
Yeah Marc, win some trades that actually make this team better!
its-trading-sideways.jpg

Reactions: OldCraig71

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
I disagree with your take. If you look at the Habs recent history with drafting, your partially right in sentiment, the era between 2012-2016 brought the Habs nothing but Mete and Sergachev who was sacrificed to bring in Drouin. But development takes time. From 2017 on, each of the Habs prospects are at most 21 years old (some being 22 if they have a really early birthday). No matter what you think of the big club, the smart path to development isn't putting players under 21 into a non development League and hope for the best. The only prospects from 2017 that look like they could be NHLers are Poehling who needs lots of ice time instead of getting less minutes than KK, Suzuki, and Danault. Brook and Fleury who could be serviceable bottom pairing D if they continue their steady progression. Primeau who shouldn't even think about the NHL permanently for another 2-3 years. And those are the Habs oldest prospects (who look like NHL hopefuls). After that Habs have KK and Romanov who graduated so they aren't prospects anymore. I don't see development as linear. (This is an adjustment year for Romanov and I don't agree with you, Kulak is terrible. Romanov has struggled at times but looked great at others. Kulak is useless. The most he can do is rush the puxk to the o zone turn it over then go on a change). Suzuki needs to pick it up. Ill forgive him as the sofemore slump is a thing. Harris who said he wanted to finish college from the start. Ylonen who looks to be a future middle six forward but needs to get adjusted to the north american game. And if we go further, we are starting to talk about teenagers or at most guys who just turned 20. Everyone knows about Caufield, etc.

My point is there is context behind the decision for most of these guys to not be in the NHL. And remember we aren't talking about an old, matured prospect group, we're talking about 18-21 year olds. Why? Well as previously stated because of bad drafting and development from 2012-16. You can't expect kids to jump into the NHL. Even though other teams bring in prospects early, there's context behind those decisions. Show me a good team that brings in a young prospect that wasn't seen as blue chip coming in. Usually crappy teams bring up grade A or B prospects when they're young because... They're crappy teams. I'm not saying it's perfect but do an honest analysis of the Habs prospects from 2017-2020. They have talent at the wings, they have talent up the middle, they have tons of D that look to be future NHLers, they have an heir apparent to Carey Price. What happened to everyone wanting to follow the old Detroit Red Wings model. Wasn't that successful before they lost all their players to age.
No posts over 15 words allowed.

HuGo Burner Acc

Mar 30, 2016
How many clubs with great prospect pools have to wait till they are 24 years old before they break into the NHL? 2000 wings maybe, no one now. Either they have talent or they are 3rd- 4th line plugs. I get they are young, but if they are going to take 6 years to turn into a 3rd liner, we don't have depth in our prospect pool. Pastrnak is 24 years old and was drafted 25th overall. We are hoping our 1st rounders see the ice by his age currently=habs prospects not deep.

Caufield is a third line plug? Ylonen is a definite third line plug? Guhle is a third pairing plug? Just examples. Again Habs view KK and Suzuki as top 6 Fs. What did they do,bring them up before they turned 21. They see Romanov as a future top 4 D (not current). They brought him up at 21 years of age. Which prospect is 24 that looks like an NHL hopefully? 23? Only two just turned 22 earlier this year: Poehling and Fleury. Didn't Fleury already have a stint in the NHL? Didn't poehling play a handful of games already in the NHL? They clearly needed more development time at the time when they were 20-21, not a ground breaking notion. Do you think defensemen who aren't blue chip prospects should be playing in the NHL as 19, 20, and 21 year olds. Why isn't Seider playing on a trash red wings team? Is that because Yzerman and the red wings have no idea how to develop or is it a measured decision? Where would these players even slot in? Poehling was drafted to be a great 3C and possibly a 2C if Habs got lucky. 3Cs are more valuable than average second line wingers. Pasternak is the exception that proves the rule. People evaluate the game of hockey differently. For example, some people saw Guhle play and thought he was trash. I saw him play and was very much impressed. Some people see Caufield and think he'll translate into a superstar. Some see him as someone who won't be able to prosper in the NHL.

That's the thing, we are having normative discussions. Prospect analysis is not mathematics. It can't be empirically determined. There isn't an equation you can use to determine outcomes. So you could be right, I could be right, who knows, it's just subjective posturing at this point

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
Yeah Marc, win some trades that actually make this team better!
There is no Pastrnak, Bergeron and Marchand drafted in that team. We need Marc to built a team with trades. Go ahead Marc, try to win trades again and again. Habs didn't draft Perry when he was young but we have him at 36, Habs didn't draft Kopitar when he was 17 but we might have him at 37. We are used to that logic.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Nothing much to say.

Hope Drouin isn’t a Hab after the deadline. Among other players. We should sell.
what the hell can we get for a scoring winger who doesnt score ?

I think I have only missed one game this year, but last night was just heart breaking. I know we have played worse for parts of games, but the whole thing last night was shambolic. Although we don't have the record I would like, in a lot of games that we lost we were in it till the end. We were at least competitive.

not last night, its like they were toying with us. For cripes sakes we sent out Evans for a spark, and our defense, oh mylanta !

something changed watching the game last night, and it didn't change for the better. We get more of this, interim should very quickly transition to former.

Reactions: angusyoung

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006

I thought Byron was decent with Danault the other day. He should have been on the RW of that line more than KK.

Kulak with Weber seems like another disaster waiting to happen. At least they acknowledge that Petry was much better with Ed.

Also happy to finally see Staal where he belongs.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I thought it was a mistake to basically give Staal the #2C role before be even had a shift.

Guys who are top 2Cs don't get acquired for a 3rd and 5th.

+ They took Kotkaniemi away from C to accommodate this.

Now they're back to square 1

SMDH

zx81

Aug 2, 2005
Kudos to the ones who watched the full game.
I stopped after 2 periods.

Not much to say about that game.
The team is simply not good.
I care less after every game.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
Kudos to the ones who watched the full game.
I stopped after 2 periods.

Not much to say about that game.
The team is simply not good.
I care less after every game.
Yesterday I watched a good tv show I've never watched before. It was a first episode and I'll check if the serie continued after that pilot. I kindda knew they were not playing well. I switched between the periods and it was 0-2. After that show ended it was 0-5. Good thing I didn't lose my evening.

There is Hawai 5-0 and there is Montreal 0-5. Hey, did you watch Montreal 0-5 yesterday? Lol

zx81

Aug 2, 2005
wtf are these lines?

At least they rearranged the D pairs and reunited Petry and Edmundson. The pairs used in the last games were just freaking awful.

Also KK back at C is better.

Not a fan of Evans on the wing.
Call up someone from Laval instead.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
wtf are these lines?

Evans was a good RW for KK last year in the AHL. I can see him work with Tiffoli/Suzuki.

Danault/Byron work great together, but Byron with more than 13-14 minutes a night is going to be a very ineffective Byron soon.

Drouin/KK/Anderson had some success earlier this year, but that line will leak goals as any lines with Drouin on it has done this year.

The Kulak/Weber pairing is going to be great for all the facepalming it will generate... :sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad