Post-Game Talk: Habs lose third in a row. Schedule only getting tougher.

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
I thought it was a mistake to basically give Staal the #2C role before be even had a shift.

Guys who are top 2Cs don't get acquired for a 3rd and 5th.

+ They took Kotkaniemi away from C to accommodate this.

Now they're back to square 1

SMDH

I thought so too, but in fairness to Dom. He was able to see what Staal had left in the tank. It was worth a shot, if the thinking was a change of scenery was needed to kick start Staal.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
About time ! I would had demoted Drouin too on that 4th line.
yeah drouin on the fourth line, how do you think that works out ?

just kidding, that's a trick question because there is no way mr lazy bones ever ends up on the fourth line.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I thought so too, but in fairness to Dom. He was able to see what Staal had left in the tank. It was worth a shot, if the thinking was a change of scenery was needed to kick start Staal.
I think it was unfair to Staal and it had ripple effects throughout the lineup and we're seeing the results of that now.

Reactions: Runner77

Jul 6, 2016
yeah drouin on the fourth line, how do you think that works out ?

just kidding, that's a trick question because there is no way mr lazy bones ever ends up on the fourth line.

In todays' hockey the 4th line just means less important ice time. It's not the goons lines of the past.

Right now, Drouin does not deserve to play more than 10-12 minutes a game.

Reactions: 26Mats

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
I think it was unfair to Staal and it had ripple effects throughout the lineup and we're seeing the results of that now.

I'm with you on this. In fairness, when your GM gets you a new player. It's best to put said player in the best situation to contribute right away. Especially when you're still under the "interm" tag and not an official coach yet. The positive thing is it looks like Dom has realized his mistakes. So hopefully the "ripple effects" are only a short term thing.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
In todays' hockey the 4th line just means less important ice time. It's not the goons lines of the past.

This.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011

it hasn't been the goon line for a while, but the expectation is that if you don't score, that you will at least be defensively committed and responsible. if you can throw a little of the body, great. if you can be strong on the boards, even better.
therein lies the problems (yes this is plural by design) for one Jonathan Drouin, because he's none of those things.

I guess he's at least consistent because he isn't a scoring winger either anymore.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

He didn't have to find out by using him as he did. It was dumb to move a young developing center who was doing pretty well to give Staal a look.

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
He didn't have to find out by using him as he did. It was dumb to move a young developing center who was doing pretty well to give Staal a look.

Like I mentioned earlier, I wouldn't have done it. But neither of us are in Dom's situation. If your boss gave you a new tool, and expected you to use it. You smile and use the damn thing lol Once it doesn't work, you can go to your boss and say "This is crap, I'm going back to the old tool".

Add in the fact that Staal is a seasoned Vet. So I don't think it hurt to see what he had left. It didn't hurt KK's development. Since it only took a few games for Dom to come to his conclusion.

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
Caufield is a third line plug? Ylonen is a definite third line plug? Guhle is a third pairing plug? Just examples. Again Habs view KK and Suzuki as top 6 Fs. What did they do,bring them up before they turned 21. They see Romanov as a future top 4 D (not current). They brought him up at 21 years of age. Which prospect is 24 that looks like an NHL hopefully? 23? Only two just turned 22 earlier this year: Poehling and Fleury. Didn't Fleury already have a stint in the NHL? Didn't poehling play a handful of games already in the NHL? They clearly needed more development time at the time when they were 20-21, not a ground breaking notion. Do you think defensemen who aren't blue chip prospects should be playing in the NHL as 19, 20, and 21 year olds. Why isn't Seider playing on a trash red wings team? Is that because Yzerman and the red wings have no idea how to develop or is it a measured decision? Where would these players even slot in? Poehling was drafted to be a great 3C and possibly a 2C if Habs got lucky. 3Cs are more valuable than average second line wingers. Pasternak is the exception that proves the rule. People evaluate the game of hockey differently. For example, some people saw Guhle play and thought he was trash. I saw him play and was very much impressed. Some people see Caufield and think he'll translate into a superstar. Some see him as someone who won't be able to prosper in the NHL.

That's the thing, we are having normative discussions. Prospect analysis is not mathematics. It can't be empirically determined. There isn't an equation you can use to determine outcomes. So you could be right, I could be right, who knows, it's just subjective posturing at this point
YOU said they are 21 some 22 and need 2-3 more seasons. Not me. Nice strawman. And no I am not convinced on anyone, not even caulfield. Some of the greatest AHL players last a season or two and burn out. You even mention how some of these guys haven't played well enough to stick. You are proving me right. Real talent would have shown enough to be on the team by 21, like Suzi and KK. Their development can be good, bad or anything in between. But our prospects can't even pushing Mete aside. You don't want to rush them, but the bar is pretty damn low.

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
wtf are these lines?
He must have found this on Kijiji
images

Just be happy we don't have Danault playing defence and Mete at Wing....still remember dandenault.

getty_mdandenault.jpg

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Like I mentioned earlier, I wouldn't have done it. But neither of us are in Dom's situation. If your boss gave you a new tool, and expected you to use it. You smile and use the damn thing lol Once it doesn't work, you can go to your boss and say "This is crap, I'm going back to the old tool".

Add in the fact that Staal is a seasoned Vet. So I don't think it hurt to see what he had left. It didn't hurt KK's development. Since it only took a few games for Dom to come to his conclusion.

You can use him on KK's wing, which was the most sensible thing to do.
Not the end of the world I suppose, but still annoying to see them do this. It's a recurrent line of thinking that's terrible.

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
Suzuki is the one who looks like he could use a break or lesser role over kk who has been in playing well for a while.

Reactions: Le Tricolore

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
You can use him on KK's wing, which was the most sensible thing to do.
Not the end of the world I suppose, but still annoying to see them do this. It's a recurrent line of thinking that's terrible.

My understanding is Staal is known for being weak as a winger. I know the Rangers tried it once he was traded there, and it failed miserably. Again I see your point, but I can also understand why Dom did what he did. I'm just glad that it (hopefully) isn't going on any longer.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017

I think it was a better move to have him in a top 6 role from the beginning. Then, if it doesn't work out, it will be easier to have him buy into a smaller role, knowing they gave him a fair opportunity.

I dont think 4 games quite qualifies as a fair opportunity, but I suppose it's better than zero.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

He’d make a great politician.

“Yeah we expected this. Everything is fine”

It’s unfortunate that he didn’t take his theory further to encompass how many slumps someone with an interim tag, is likely to be around to experience.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad