Post-Game Talk: Habs lose third in a row. Schedule only getting tougher.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
The GM has added players such as Petry, Chiarot, Edmundson, Toffoli, Danault, Anderson, Perry, Allen, Suzuki, Tatar, Weber, Drouin via trade or UFA without losing much. He is one of the best out there to build a team. That's a lot of talent he's added and has not lost many trades. Subban-Weber is a wash now, as is Pacioretty (fair deal). Sergachev for Drouin is probably his only bad move recently, along with signing Alzner. He has a ton of other good moves like getting Petry, Danault, Anderson, Toffoli, Perry, Allen for basically nothing.

You should fault the coaches (Lefebvre, Julien) and the scouts (Timmins) for our poor player development and drafting in general
He hired those 2 coaches as I have pointed out many times. If he has done such a great job with trades then why does this team continue to suck? Are you suggesting he bears no responsibility in why drafted players don't pan out?

Reactions: HabsForHire

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
200.gif

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
A lot of it was stupid unforced errors on our side, so many easy goals for Jets. That speaks to mental/physical fatigue.

We looked like Vancouver when they were going through their ridiculous schedule.

They looked mentally and physically exhausted. Consider that they're essentially playing 3 games in 4 days twice a week now.

Monday - Wed/Thurs, and
Wed/Thurs -- Sat

This won't be the last game like this. DD needs to role back the ice time on the veteran guys, or they're not surviving this.

No more than 20 minutes max for everyone on D. Weber should be under 20 right now. Petry should be at 20. Give more time to Romanov and Leskinen, especially Leskinen he hasn't played a lot this year.

Put

Edmundson back with Petry for gawd's sake.
Romanov -- Weber
Kulak -- Leskinen

The pk issue is an organizational embarrassment. Haven't seen such bad pking in my lifetime. Hell even during Houle years we could at least f***ing pk. Usually, we're a good pk team.

We're just getting worse and worse at it.

Too bad AHL doesn't have playoffs this year. I'd send all the kids to Laval, and get them to compete for a Calder Cup together.

Staal is useless. He's only played 4 games and is already -5. He was -3 last game vs Jets. We probably win that game if he's not playing. He's actually costing us games he's so bad. Guy should have retired after Minnesota traded him. Stayed home with the family. He's done.

Frustrating game to watch.
Kulak and Leskinen... my God.

And the sad thing is, the pairings you put are probably the best we can do apart from maybe putting Mete in over Kulak.

That is just trash.

Our D is the root of our problem. When losing Chiarot throws things out of whack like this you know you’re in trouble.

Imagine if we lost Petry,

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
Kulak and Leskinen... my God.

And the sad thing is, the pairings you put are probably the best we can do apart from maybe putting Mete in over Kulak.

That is just trash.

Our D is the root of our problem. When losing Chiarot throws things out of whack like this you know you’re in trouble.

Imagine if we lost Petry,

We did lose our best puck-mover on the back end already...Carey Price...

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
I reckon it's safe to say that we do not nearly have the team we thought we did. Pity too as we came into season with such hope.

Once again it is showed you cannot win without elite talent, which this team greatly lack. Price, Weber not good enough anymore. Look at the top teams this year, all have multiple elite talents:

Tampa; Kucherov, Hedman, Vasilevski, Stamkos
Vegas: Stone, Fleury, Theodore, Pietrangelo
Toronto: Matthews, Marner, Tavares, Rielly, Nylander
Colorado: MacKinnon, Makar, Rantanen, Landeskog, Grubauer
Washington: Ovechkin, Backstrom, Carlson
Pittsburgh: Crosby, Malkin, Letang
Boston: Bergeron, Pastrnak, Marchand, McAvoy, Rask
Edmonton: McDavid, Draisaitl
Florida: Barkov, Huberdeau, Ekblad
Carolina: Aho, Svechnikov, Hamilton, Slavin

Very few exceptions to the rule, maybe Islanders right now but still Barzal is basically better than whatever we've had in the last 30 years and they have hot goalies + amazing coaching

Of course the Blues won the Cup without much elite talent, perhaps only Pietrangelo and a hot Binnington, but their overall team was much better built than this Habs squad. And O'Reilly is elite two-way center

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
Well according to some of our posters, no way, he WINS all his trades!!
LOL
Waiting for MB to blame Price's lingering injury issue, and losing Gally, just no way we could replace doze guys...
But we have all the depth right. 3 second lines and a third :sarcasm:

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
I disagree. Look at the last GM (the ghost). He wasn't fired but was allowed to set up the next GM pleasantly well instead of in shambles. I think Molson will allow MB to finish out his contract and set the next GM well. Say what you want about MB (and there's a lot to say) but the prospect pool is good, Habs have good draft capital, and the contracts in the NHL are manageable if you approached it correctly (with the exception of price and Weber if he doesn't retire early)
Does our prospect pool look good? We hear a lot about it, but we also hear KK and Suzi are 1A and 1B centers and Rom will be a 2nd pairing at the least(which may all be true) but at present our prospects can't even crack a roster that has a badly playing eric staal taking minutes from our BEST prospects. Kulak has more value than Rom on this team. Development and Draft is and has been a complete disaster. If your prospects can't even crack the NHL while we play this poorly it says a lot. And I don't want to rush some of the guys starting to play well in the AHL. But honestly there are many teams with their prospect actually playing on the NHL team that look better than the vast majority of ours.

austin316

Oct 4, 2016
"Jo" declined to speak to the media after the game. I can't wait until this giant baby and sh**stain is off this team

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
We're really lucky that the Flames are the Flames and that the Canucks are the Canucks.
Only team we can say we are better than is Ottawa, and we can't beat them anyway. Take 2 of our wins on Van and flip them and we aren't even in a playoff spot. We had 9 games against them and its still about 40% of our points. meaning the other 5 teams we earned about 12% percent against each on average. Thats a bad ratio. So unless we manage to play vancouver in the post season, the brooms will be out...should we stumble into the playoffs.

Reactions: OldCraig71

HuGo Burner Acc

Mar 30, 2016
Does our prospect pool look good? We hear a lot about it, but we also hear KK and Suzi are 1A and 1B centers and Rom will be a 2nd pairing at the least(which may all be true) but at present our prospects can't even crack a roster that has a badly playing eric staal taking minutes from our BEST prospects. Kulak has more value than Rom on this team. Development and Draft is and has been a complete disaster. If your prospects can't even crack the NHL while we play this poorly it says a lot. And I don't want to rush some of the guys starting to play well in the AHL. But honestly there are many teams with their prospect actually playing on the NHL team that look better than the vast majority of ours.

I disagree with your take. If you look at the Habs recent history with drafting, your partially right in sentiment, the era between 2012-2016 brought the Habs nothing but Mete and Sergachev who was sacrificed to bring in Drouin. But development takes time. From 2017 on, each of the Habs prospects are at most 21 years old (some being 22 if they have a really early birthday). No matter what you think of the big club, the smart path to development isn't putting players under 21 into a non development League and hope for the best. The only prospects from 2017 that look like they could be NHLers are Poehling who needs lots of ice time instead of getting less minutes than KK, Suzuki, and Danault. Brook and Fleury who could be serviceable bottom pairing D if they continue their steady progression. Primeau who shouldn't even think about the NHL permanently for another 2-3 years. And those are the Habs oldest prospects (who look like NHL hopefuls). After that Habs have KK and Romanov who graduated so they aren't prospects anymore. I don't see development as linear. (This is an adjustment year for Romanov and I don't agree with you, Kulak is terrible. Romanov has struggled at times but looked great at others. Kulak is useless. The most he can do is rush the puxk to the o zone turn it over then go on a change). Suzuki needs to pick it up. Ill forgive him as the sofemore slump is a thing. Harris who said he wanted to finish college from the start. Ylonen who looks to be a future middle six forward but needs to get adjusted to the north american game. And if we go further, we are starting to talk about teenagers or at most guys who just turned 20. Everyone knows about Caufield, etc.

My point is there is context behind the decision for most of these guys to not be in the NHL. And remember we aren't talking about an old, matured prospect group, we're talking about 18-21 year olds. Why? Well as previously stated because of bad drafting and development from 2012-16. You can't expect kids to jump into the NHL. Even though other teams bring in prospects early, there's context behind those decisions. Show me a good team that brings in a young prospect that wasn't seen as blue chip coming in. Usually crappy teams bring up grade A or B prospects when they're young because... They're crappy teams. I'm not saying it's perfect but do an honest analysis of the Habs prospects from 2017-2020. They have talent at the wings, they have talent up the middle, they have tons of D that look to be future NHLers, they have an heir apparent to Carey Price. What happened to everyone wanting to follow the old Detroit Red Wings model. Wasn't that successful before they lost all their players to age.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
The GM has added players such as Petry, Chiarot, Edmundson, Toffoli, Danault, Anderson, Perry, Allen, Suzuki, Tatar, Weber, Drouin via trade or UFA without losing much. He is one of the best out there to build a team. That's a lot of talent he's added and has not lost many trades. Subban-Weber is a wash now, as is Pacioretty (fair deal). Sergachev for Drouin is probably his only bad move recently, along with signing Alzner. He has a ton of other good moves like getting Petry, Danault, Anderson, Toffoli, Perry, Allen for basically nothing.

You should fault the coaches (Lefebvre, Julien) and the scouts (Timmins) for our poor player development and drafting in general

The G.M. hires those people.

Reactions: Doc McKenna

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
We need to get older, not younger Craig... lol. OH CRAP! Bergevin's eyes are crossed again.
But with MB it has always been a mystery as to what he sees/likes as actual talent. He offered Lucic more than the Oilers did but Lucic hates Montreal so we were saved from that disaster. Alzner would be Webers best D partner, Drouin is our center(remember that?) and so many other head-scratching things that he has done and continues to do.

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
I disagree with your take. If you look at the Habs recent history with drafting, your partially right in sentiment, the era between 2012-2016 brought the Habs nothing but Mete and Sergachev who was sacrificed to bring in Drouin. But development takes time. From 2017 on, each of the Habs prospects are at most 21 years old (some being 22 if they have a really early birthday). No matter what you think of the big club, the smart path to development isn't putting players under 21 into a non development League and hope for the best. The only prospects from 2017 that look like they could be NHLers are Poehling who needs lots of ice time instead of getting less minutes than KK, Suzuki, and Danault. Brook and Fleury who could be serviceable bottom pairing D if they continue their steady progression. Primeau who shouldn't even think about the NHL permanently for another 2-3 years. And those are the Habs oldest prospects (who look like NHL hopefuls). After that Habs have KK and Romanov who graduated so they aren't prospects anymore. I don't see development as linear. (This is an adjustment year for Romanov and I don't agree with you, Kulak is terrible. Romanov has struggled at times but looked great at others. Kulak is useless. The most he can do is rush the puxk to the o zone turn it over then go on a change). Suzuki needs to pick it up. Ill forgive him as the sofemore slump is a thing. Harris who said he wanted to finish college from the start. Ylonen who looks to be a future middle six forward but needs to get adjusted to the north american game. And if we go further, we are starting to talk about teenagers or at most guys who just turned 20. Everyone knows about Caufield, etc.

My point is there is context behind the decision for most of these guys to not be in the NHL. And remember we aren't talking about an old, matured prospect group, we're talking about 18-21 year olds. Why? Well as previously stated because of bad drafting and development from 2012-16. You can't expect kids to jump into the NHL. Even though other teams bring in prospects early, there's context behind those decisions. Show me a good team that brings in a young prospect that wasn't seen as blue chip coming in. Usually crappy teams bring up grade A or B prospects when they're young because... They're crappy teams. I'm not saying it's perfect but do an honest analysis of the Habs prospects from 2017-2020. They have talent at the wings, they have talent up the middle, they have tons of D that look to be future NHLers, they have an heir apparent to Carey Price. What happened to everyone wanting to follow the old Detroit Red Wings model. Wasn't that successful before they lost all their players to age.
How many clubs with great prospect pools have to wait till they are 24 years old before they break into the NHL? 2000 wings maybe, no one now. Either they have talent or they are 3rd- 4th line plugs. I get they are young, but if they are going to take 6 years to turn into a 3rd liner, we don't have depth in our prospect pool. Pastrnak is 24 years old and was drafted 25th overall. We are hoping our 1st rounders see the ice by his age currently=habs prospects not deep.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Just an awful game from everyone.

Kulak is beyond terrible at this point. Should be put on waivers today and fired to the sun.

Hopefully Primeau gets a look Monday if Price can't go.

A little scared to have this type of game right before the trade deadline. Desperate MB is scary.

I'm sure Caufield will come to the rescue soon...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad