Habs lose 4-3... ugly

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Diaz isn't any better on the pk. He's the one who slide over to cover the incoming dman who Moen had covered already and left Moulson wide open for his 2nd goal.

Pk needs Hal Gill !

I sure miss him on the pk, would much rather have him then Boullion as a defenseman, He was brilliant on the pk especially 5 on 3s.

ClasslessGuy

May 10, 2010
Chelsea, QC
Ugly outcome but hey what can we do.

At least we got the loser point and in a 48 games season every point is important (I know we lost one). We just have to move on to the rangers and get 2 pts.

Godzilla

Jun 7, 2011
Montreal
It is so funny how the habs can go from hero's to zero's on this board so fast. :shakehead

They are not going to be perfect every game, and if we only have 1 stinker every 5 games or so, its fine by me. We got a point out of a bad performance, and you could bet your bottom dollar they will be better against the rangers.

Strik_IX

No excuses!
Jun 11, 2007
Montréal
So, first game I miss all year and I didn't catch much of the highlights yet.

One thing I find a little silly when I read this PGT is how everyone is ready to throw Diaz under the bus when he's been playing really well so far this year.

I mean, did he cost all four goals against? Because that's what it sounds like :S

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007

I blame the education system. Probably the most misspelled word on this board. Also, proper Canadian spelling is a thing of the past ( 95 percent "center" vs "centre") . Oh well, can't be a spelling nazi in a world that can't spell it will drive you mad.

Last edited:

bigtimehockeyfan999*

i know we're still in top spot but in such a close season i think we should react before we get the repurcussions of a lagging penalty kill....last year whenever we took a penalty I didn't even blink...it was nothing....i knew it would be killed. this year i'm terrified every time we go to the box...we're just not the same in that area...it needs to be addressed..perhaps the coach's just dont have the expertise in that area....maybe we are missing a big body like hal gill on the back end. The only problem is what can we give up and who loses their roster spot if we were to look for something...ryan o'reilly is quite the two way player i hear.:naughty:

DenverHabsFan

Sep 9, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
No need to panic but there are several WTFs from that game. I was ready to destroy my TV when I saw Gio at the point on that 4 on 3 when we could have ended the game. WTF? Subban not being used enough on the PK. WTF? Icings. WTF????

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
I remember when White took a penalty and the Sabres scored a goal to pull within one. And we ended up losing that game.

Everyone was ready to send White to the ECHL.

Fast forward to tonight. Eller takes a dumb ass penalty and the Isles score to pull within one goal.

Where is the same reaction?

Eller played a very poor game tonight. He continues to act like he does not know what to do with the puck when it arrives on his stick. On several occasions, he passed the puck to a Hab who was either covered by an Islander defender or a rushed/poorly placed pass. The worst was on our PP. The other was when he and Prust had a chance on an odd man rush. Eller had the puck with no one on him and he makes a pass to Prust who was covered........end of rush.

And Eller has become boss on icing the puck. Great technique.

Now that I got that out of the way, hell, we got a point tonight. Winning streaks have to end some time. And what better team to "lose" to than a team that is struggling to finish the season, much less fight for a playoff spot.

Go Habs Go. Cant win them all and I will take the point and move on.

But... but... but...

WE'RE BASING OUR OPINION ON SAMPLE SIZE SEQUENCES AND IT'S THERRIEN'S FAULT FOR NOT GIVING ELLER ENOUGH CHANCES!

:help: :handclap: :laugh:

You're right to mention it. Most overrated player on HF Habs by far. And the least creative of our centers excluding White, by far. He played a bad game tonight, which would not bother me at all if it wasn't for the fact he's quickly becoming as inconsistent as Kostitsyn out there. Where was the grind we saw in the last few games? Where were the second efforts?

When you play C, you're supposed to be Kent Nagano on the ice. You're the architect of the breakout and of the play, it all starts with the C. And as the architect, Eller failed to generate any decent breakout out there.

Well... still better than Gionta running around in the D zone like a chicken with his head cut off I imagine... But there's a reason why Eller is always the first one of our C to be put on the wings and that, no matter who's the coach in place. It's because of details like this. He might be good on the cycle in the offensive zone, in the end, if you can't organize the breakout properly, you're going to have trouble as a C.

Last edited:

bigtimehockeyfan999*

also another not on o'reilly....if u go to youtube and checkout the highlight video of him...it's interesting to see how many of his goals were meaningful ones...and by that i mean game winners or tying goals....and there were alot...just food for thought

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York
You're right to mention it. Most overrated player on HF Habs by far. And the least creative of our centers excluding White, by far. He played a bad game tonight, which would not bother me at all if it wasn't for the fact he's quickly becoming as inconsistent as Kostitsyn out there. Where was the grind we saw in the last few games? Where were the second efforts?

1 bad game in 2 weeks = as inconsistent as Kostitsyn? If any of us overrate Eller it's reaction to posts like this. Eller has a poor game, he took stupid penalties and could not generate any offense. This was also the first game he was not generating any offense in a while, so I have no idea what your point is.

also another not on o'reilly....if u go to youtube and checkout the highlight video of him...it's interesting to see how many of his goals were meaningful ones...and by that i mean game winners or tying goals....and there were alot...just food for thought

I think pretty much everyone here agrees ROR is a great 3C, and yes, more valuable to this team than Eller, but I still have no idea how we'd get him when Bergevin believes in lowballing young players.

A lot of people have a lot of agendas to push. Hard to do that during winning streaks.

This thread is certainly more active than the last few GDTs..

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
1 bad game in 2 weeks = as inconsistent as Kostitsyn? If any of us overrate Eller it's reaction to posts like this. Eller has a poor game, he took stupid penalties and could not generate any offense. This was also the first game he was not generating any offense in a while, so I have no idea what your point is.

If you notice, it's not the first time he's been having this kind of no-show to follow godly performances. It actually happens very often. One of the things that are consistent though, is the hard time he has to generate a breakout from his own end. His patented dump can work from time to time when he has players like Moen or White on his wings, as these two made a career out of retrieving loose puck and creating turnovers. But when you play with a rookie like Galchenyuk, more often than not, if you don't keep possession of the puck, it'll come back in your own end immediately. Prust is also there, but in a game like yesterday where he wasn't at his best, it'll be even more obvious.

And the point is not to bash Eller. It's to refute all those wearing the tinfoil hats out there and think every single coach to come in this team has some kind of grudge against Eller that there is a reason why he's always the first one to be put on the wing.

Last edited:

LePoche69

Jul 15, 2004
Montreal
Am I the only one who starts being concerned by Markov's play? It seems it's getting worse with each game. He's dangerously slowing down in every aspect of the game and doesn't deserve the minutes he's playing right now.

Let's hope he'll turn things around as I'm a big fan of him. But since a week or 2, it looks like the years and the injuries have affected him...

At least he still makes great passes on the power play.

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York
If you notice, it's not the first time he's been having this kind of no-show to follow godly performances. It actually happens very often. One of the things that are consistent though, is the hard time he has to generate a breakout from his own end. His patented dump can work from time to time when he has players like Moen or White on his wings, as these two made a career out of retrieving loose puck and creating turnovers. But when you play with a rookie like Galchenyuk, more often than not, if you don't keep possession of the puck, it'll come back in your own end immediately. Prust is also there, but in a game like yesterday where he wasn't at his best, it'll be even more obvious.

I disagree, if anything the one thing he was consistently good at in the past it has been his ability to bring the puck through the neutral zone, if anything more so than Desharnais (Who lacks top speed and strength and is far more effective with offensive zone starts) and Plekanec (who isn't a particularly great puck handler). His problem yesterday was the same one slowing him down in general, he was pressured into rushing it leading to bad decisions. IMO this was the first game in a while where he was struggling there, the only criticisms I have against him since the first week involve his play around the goal, he's been above average in the build up.

He's icing the puck far too often but that's a problem with the entire team, either it's being encouraged when they can't keep possession or it's just the general lack of skill on this team. The inability to generate offense from end to end without Plekanec intercepting a play has been a problem on this team for years and was the one thing that made Gomez valuable.

Eller's play is far more dependant on his teammates than Kostitsyn, AK could be a game breaker or useless no matter what the team around him was doing. Eller clearly has mental blocks which could very well limit his potential but I don't think it's fair to condemn him for one bad game.

Maelpj*

Depressing game but they dominated most of the game. A few weak bits in the 3rd and horrible PK. They need a better PK guy. And less Markov on the PK. Maybe Subban Gorges for the first wave? Diaz Markov for the second?

I hope you're not talking about the Habs when you say they dominated. They were totally outclassed in the 2th and 3rd period.

And the win vs rangers wasn't that convicing either

Canadian_Brewtality

Feb 16, 2005
3 games in 4 nights
lost steam in the 2nd half
looked tired & sloopy

I think im onto something...
can someone connect the dots for me please?

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
It's hilarious that the knives are out for Eller the second he slips up. Where was all this negativity when he was one of our best players for the last 3-4 games? Now it's "he has no creativity", "didn't show any grind", etc.

The guy's 23. Look at the pathetic effort from some of the veterans on this team wayyy before you start picking apart Eller.

Habtchum*

Losing a two goal lead after 50% of the game is played is bad.

Habs will also have to learn how to beat their divisonal opponents.

So far they are 2-4-1 against them and they have loads of games to play against them until the end.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
It's hilarious that the knives are out for Eller the second he slips up. Where was all this negativity when he was one of our best players for the last 3-4 games? Now it's "he has no creativity", "didn't show any grind", etc.

The guy's 23. Look at the pathetic effort from some of the veterans on this team wayyy before you start picking apart Eller.
I just want to say "pathetic performance" not effort. Pretty much ever player on this team skates hard, including Gionta. He just sucks.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
I just want to say "pathetic performance" not effort. Pretty much ever player on this team skates hard, including Gionta. He just sucks.

I'll give you that for Gionta, although Markov certainly looked like he wanted to be somewhere else. Cole too, mostly when it came time to backcheck.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad