Pre-Game Talk: Habs @ Leafs - tonight at 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Yeah he sucks but he's not sitting tonight to allow for Yannick Veilleix to play a hockey game to pander to a select group of fans.

If I was quebecois id frankly be insulted to think the organization thinks so little of the cultural identity that Alex Belzile should give me pride
This is how I feel as well. We are seeing the same with the GM and coching position, talent doesn't seem to matter as long as there is representation.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I'm Québecois and, in this debate, my pride stems mostly to be on the side who's not mad about, ultimately, Michael Frolik being a healthy scratch.

I gave a list of other names, too. I'm not mad about Frolik or actually at any of it. It's just sad that they can't even stand up to the potential backlash of this.

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I see no reason for outrage here.

I was annoyed when I thought Poehling was overstepped but he's not an option so it doesn't really matter. Frolik, Weal... I mean, these aren't guys to get upset over.

If they can't even have the backbone to allow better options than Belzile to play tonight then it does not bode well that this organization will ever change philosophies that have been to our detriment. And this extends to other areas beyond needing to have a francophone player on the team.

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
This is how I feel as well. We are seeing the same with the GM and coching position, talent doesn't seem to matter as long as there is representation.

And it seems that some people can't see the difference here when no one cared that Belzile played last year even in the playoffs when it was deserved.

This is so hollow and empty its really insulting at its core.

Reactions: OldCraig71

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
If they can't even have the backbone to allow better options than Belzile to play tonight then it does not bode well that this organization will ever change philosophies that have been to our detriment. And this extends to other areas beyond needing to have a francophone player on the team.
If they put him in over Poehling... I'd be upset. But I don't see the need for outrage here man. It's inconsequential and I get the club wanting to maintain some history. They're not really doing it at the expense of anyone that matters a whole lot so...

Let's move on.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Well we both know that if I were coach I'd be putting you on the ice :naughty:

Agree that it's an empty gesture. You know more than most where I stand on identity politics. This is just an optics move so that Bergevin doesn't have be 'that guy'. From my perspective, if this little move keeps the summer conversation centered on how objectively terrible Bergevin's reign has been, rather than allowing the dishonest journos out there to spin the conversation into a language thing, well I'll take that silver lining.

I would bet dollars to donuts that most of those angered by the move support identity politics when it aligns with their own biases or opinions, though. :dunno:
Well, I'm definitely offended by Staal in the lineup. :laugh:

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
If they put him in over Poehling... I'd be upset. But I don't see the need for outrage here man. It's inconsequential and I get the club wanting to maintain some history. They're not really doing it at the expense of anyone that matters a whole lot so...

Let's move on.

Well there's a tenured NHLer who has endured the entire covid protocol and shit for the season who doesn't draw back in for the stunt.

There's a leader in Laval who is their best player down there and is a tenured NHLer who is not playing because of the stunt.

There's multiple prospects who have played better and could warrant the salary bump and recognition who don't get to play because of the stunt.

I get your point. Its laughable why they are doing it but even more laughable is that people are gonna try to explain it away as anything more than what it is. He doesn't deserve to play this season. He's not playing for a legitimate hockey reason.

Reactions: OldCraig71

A55P2

Jul 14, 2009
Québec, Québec
Well there's a tenured NHLer who has endured the entire covid protocol and shit for the season who doesn't draw back in for the stunt.

There's a leader in Laval who is their best player down there and is a tenured NHLer who is not playing because of the stunt.

There's multiple prospects who have played better and could warrant the salary bump and recognition who don't get to play because of the stunt.

I get your point. Its laughable why they are doing it but even more laughable is that people are gonna try to explain it away as anything more than what it is. He doesn't deserve to play this season. He's not playing for a legitimate hockey reason.

How about that's your opinion?

No seriously. I mean it. You seem to take it for granted that everything you said is obviously true. You don't know that. Belzile is far better than Weal first of all. Secondly, Frolik hasn't brought the same type of energy in the past few games and we got buried by the Leafs the previous game. A change in the roster isn't too far fetched.

Reactions: le_sean

webersshot

Jul 6, 2016
Nova Scotia
I'm a quebecker and french and it's f***ing absurd the uproar about having no quebec player in our lineup.

Jesus f***ing christ imagine if people from Anaheim would bitch about not having a Floridian player in their team .. so f***ing dumb

Anaheim is in California ;). But yes. I agree. Play the best players. That's it.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
KK should get lots of TOI, hope he takes advantage of the situation and gets his game going

Reactions: BLONG7

A55P2

Jul 14, 2009
Québec, Québec
By the way, the streak might end sooner than later anyway. If Belzile isn't so great tonight, we might try someone else or put Frolik back in. Knowing that Drouin is out and Danault's got a concussion, there's a chance it will end anyway.

Also, and that's something people seem to be missing, we had called up Belzile before Danault's concussion. Him and Poehling were our extra players. They had made their decision before this whole thing. Can't tell me they planned that in advance... It's common sense really.

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
Stéphane Laberge, the stat man who came out with this franco story, is a good man. But I doubt very much that MB and DD know his work, TBH.

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
And, judging from this concussion injury, this streak I didn't know about TBH will come to an end come playoffs. Unless Belzile plays over KK. Imagine the uproar? :laugh:

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010

I cannot believe this is even a conversation in 2021. Who the f*** cares? The people who’re actually making a stink about a francophone not being in the lineup, especially when it’s due to injuries, are putting things that have nothing to do with hockey above winning. If we run our team like this, there will people talking about the ‘93 cup win in 2093 because that will be this franchises last cup win a century from now.

SpeedyPotato

Mar 29, 2012
No offense to Alex Belzile, but him playing tonight is enough for me not to watch this game, just reminds me too much of last year, no way there weren't better options out there than this guy, with all due respect to him and his career

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
I’d shuffle the RW’s besides Armia.

JE - JA
KK - CC

let Evans as Suzuki deal with matthews and Tavares and free up KK and CC.

alternatively, swap CC and AB ... to let Evans and CC play together again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad