Pre-Game Talk: Habs @ Leafs - tonight at 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Weal has looked good for Laval. Or keep Frolik in the lineup. Harvey-Pinard would've been a better choice than Belzile if we wanted a Quebecois in the lineup. We know that Belzile won't do much. Maybe RHP could shock us.

Frolik is lucky to have played 7 games.

Reactions: 1909

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
I rather have a winning team and the pursuit of a winning tradition than sticking on political views of what our team reprensent to us.

I rather enjoy myself watching my childhood team winning than discussing the fact that we have quebeckers or not wearing the jersey.
Your childhood team was built on Francos. This Franco debate is not even a debate. It creeps up all the time for naught. As @Runner77 wrote once, it's a given here, accept it. It's in the fabric of this franchise, it will be in the fabric of this franchise FOREVER. You don't like it? Nothing prevents you from changing allegeance. Read my lips : IT WILL NEVER CHANGE. Thus the reason why they are the Montreal CanadiENS, not CanadiANS, nor the Maroons. (dare I say, surely not the Maroons).

Besides, having Belzile there is because he brings more energy than the guy he's replacing, who's been inodore, incolore et sans flavore.

Nothing here, pass along.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
We haven't always had a French coach. Look at the Habs dynasties.

There was never an issue in the front office or the coaching staff. We had enough French Stars/Superstars to provide a constant flow of media in that language. We also had people like Claude Ruel during Scotty's tenure who could deal with the press. Also our long term players for the most part had no aversion to learning french and tried to speak it despite their accents. But the most important thing is we had tremendous success which is a cure for all ailments. Fans cared about what transpired on the ice period. The players could get away with murder but it didn't really matter when they won.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Dom really struggles to figure out who should play with who..............
One thing for sure tonight, this is a HUGE game for Montreal, and a nothing game for the Leafs............that alone should make this a winnable game, as long as they start the game the right way!!!!
Tired of being down 2-0 after 5 minutes, or worse as we say last game. Danault was -3 in 3.26 of TOI............glad he is back in Montreal for the weekend......
A big start is the biggest need tonight......

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
You guys wanted the kids as 1-2, you got it.

Aside from the two geezers, this is a VERY young top 12...very.

Hope Allen is ready.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
It absolutely is political BS man, come the f*** on. They're using a useless AHLer over multiple established NHL vets and a couple of prospects.

it's obvious not a hockey decision... but an understandable one. The BS is that it got to this point thanks to the inept GM and his roster building incompetence

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Why not go back to Lehkonen-Evans-CC ?????
That was the best I have seen Caufield look since he got here, they were skating their brains out and I thought seemed to have good chemistry as a line. Eric Staal looks like he is in a coma on skates ffs, he is completely done.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Belzile callup is stupid. It's a meaningless gesture and they should've just bit the bullet now. Pandemic is on, less attention to it...

They can add Quebec players next year if they want to but this is dumb.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
It absolutely is political BS man, come the f*** on. They're using a useless AHLer over multiple established NHL vets and a couple of prospects.

What established NHL vet? Staal is an established NHL vet, close to being a great. Do you want him in the lineup? Frolik provides nothing. If you’re talking Weal, the cap hit is too high. Ylonen? Then you’d complain that his development is stalled on the 4th line.

Belzile was already with the team and even played in the playoffs last year. Get over it.

Reactions: dinodebino

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
Belzile callup is stupid. It's a meaningless gesture and they should've just bit the bullet now. Pandemic is on, less attention to it...

They can add Quebec players next year if they want to but this is dumb.

It's a non issue. Belzile is a better player than Staal at this point.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
It's a non issue. Belzile is a better player than Staal at this point.
I'm a better player than Staal is at this point.

I don't think you have to hate anyone to think this move is an empty gesture.

I'm all for preserving a French presence on the team but the reality is that it's getting harder and harder to do. There simply isn't the same percentage of French players that there used to be. French superstars are becoming increasingly uncommon, bordering on rare.

Cut the chord tonight and add more French players next year.

I'm not going to lose any sleep over this either way but I think it's an empty move.

Last edited:

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
The line-up is pretty much the lines in the 3rd last game + Belzile.

Hopefully last game was enough for Tatar to shake the rust because he looked off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad