Confirmed with Link: Habs Get the 1st Overall Pick!!! Will It Be Shane Wright Like a Diamond?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
At this point, I'd go with:

Hoffman - Suzuki - Caufield
Drouin - Dvorak - Anderson
Pitlick - Wright - Gallagher
Byron - Evans - Armia
Poehling/Pezzetta

- There isn't really where else for Hoffman in this lineup, so hopefully he can at least put up some points and maybe boost his value
- The Dvorak line looked good at times to begin last year, hopefully they can find some success and give Drouin some value
- Wright gets two hard working wingers who can help offensively and defensively

Byron will be hurt by the 2nd game, so Poehling will likely be in the lineup sooner rather than later. Hopefully we can move plugs like Hoffman/Drouin/Armia and promote Ylonen or RNH once a spot opens.

Reactions: jrom

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

Byron - Evans - Armia
Poehling/Pezzetta

- There isn't really where else for Hoffman in this lineup, so hopefully he can at least put up some points and maybe boost his value
- The Dvorak line looked good at times to begin last year, hopefully they can find some success and give Drouin some value

Byron will be hurt by the 2nd game, so Poehling will likely be in the lineup sooner rather than later. Hopefully we can move up plugs like Hoffman/Drouin/Armia and promote Ylonen or RNH once a spot opens.
I think it will look something like that, because I don't see many contracts moving.

To me Poehling has to he in the lineup every night, or close to it, even if on the wing. He's one of the few forwards that could potentially be part of the future. I hope they're serious about prioritizing development.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Draft Wright, let him play 9 if he's ready keep him if he's not send him back to dominate the O, WJC etc. Have him come in the following year and dominate ala Pettersson as opposed to struggling as an 18-year-old.

The issue isn't whether Wright is nhl ready or not. It's whether he would gain a lot more from 1 extra year of ohl development.
Kotkaniemi looked good and NHL ready in his rookie season. Looking at it now, it's easy to see he was rushed. He hasn't improved much since his rookie season. It would've been much better if we gave him another year in liiga to improve his offensive game.

You look at Caufield vs Turcotte. Both really wanted to turn pro after their d+1 season. We forced Caufield to go back . He destroyed the NCAA, and now he's looking great in the nhl. Meanwhile, LA accepted Turcotte's request to turn pro, and now he's struggling to produce in the AHL. Turcotte would've definitely been better off with 1 more year in College.

Same thing for Dach and others.

Reactions: dcyhabs and Doc5

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
The issue isn't whether Wright is nhl ready or not. It's whether he would gain a lot more from 1 extra year of ohl development.
Kotkaniemi looked good and NHL ready in his rookie season. Looking at it now, it's easy to see he was rushed. He hasn't improved much since his rookie season. It would've been much better if we gave him another year in liiga to improve his offensive game.

You look at Caufield vs Turcotte. Both really wanted to turn pro after his d+1 season, but we forced Caufield to go back. He had a great season in the NCAA, and now he's looking great in the nhl. Meanwhile, LA accepted Turcotte's request to turn pro, and now he's struggling to produce in the AHL. Turcotte would've definitely been better off with 1 more year in College.

Agreed, I think with Buffalo opening the door, the 1st overall return to their league is now going to be more accepted

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Pitlick’s speed and playmaking would be a good fit for Wright, and even though he sucks now, Gally should be his other winger and hope that some of his competitiveness rubs off on him.
For me it's Pitlick and Evan's. But I don't have a problem giving Gallagher a shot.

Hopefully Gallagjer comes back leaner, lighter on his feet, and with more endurance.

FF de Mars

Mar 2, 2002
42 rue Fontaine

You look at Caufield vs Turcotte. Both really wanted to turn pro after their d+1 season. We forced Caufield to go back . He destroyed the NCAA, and now he's looking great in the nhl. Meanwhile, LA accepted Turcotte's request to turn pro, and now he's struggling to produce in the AHL. Turcotte would've definitely been better off with 1 more year in College.

He didn't improve because he's lazy and entitled, he didn't put up the work in the offseason and I bet he didn't take studying video seriously. Wright is no KK.

Reactions: Mudz

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007

Byron - Evans - Armia
Poehling/Pezzetta

Byron will be hurt by the 2nd game, so Poehling will likely be in the lineup sooner rather than later. Hopefully we can move plugs like Hoffman/Drouin/Armia and promote Ylonen or RNH once a spot opens.
I like it, overall. Tough to make an ideal lineup with so many awkward fits, but I'd swap Wright and Dvorak. I'd like to see more of a playmaker with Wright, and the only one who fits that description on the wing is Drouin. Anderson would be a nice compliment of size/speed on RW. I'm not a fan of playing Wright with Gallagher/Pitlick. Unless Gally has a resurgence, it will be tough for Wright to produce offense at even strength on that line.

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
Draft Wright, let him play 9 if he's ready keep him if he's not send him back to dominate the O, WJC etc. Have him come in the following year and dominate ala Pettersson as opposed to struggling as an 18-year-old.
Problem is KK, Galchenyuk both looked good in training camp and after 9 games....I'd send him back regardless...He missed a whole year.

McGees

Jun 15, 2016

Byron - Evans - Armia
Poehling/Pezzetta

I could see Wright and Pitlick being a good fit...Maybe toss Anderson in there as well.

Reactions: First Line

willzyix

Jul 16, 2020
Focusing on watching Wright in the playoffs and he really does remind me of Suzuki. Puck just has a habit of finding him and even when he’s not dominating the game hes quietly putting up 2-3 points.

I think he’s the right pick IMO. I don’t think he’s a sure thing, but I’d much rather pick a player with high end skill and very high hockey IQ than a smaller, more one dimensional boom or bust player in Cooley.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Focusing on watching Wright in the playoffs and he really does remind me of Suzuki. Puck just has a habit of finding him and even when he’s not dominating the game hes quietly putting up 2-3 points.

I think he’s the right pick IMO. I don’t think he’s a sure thing, but I’d much rather pick a player with high end skill and very high hockey IQ than a smaller, more one dimensional boom or bust player in Cooley.

That doesn't really describe Cooley though. Cooley is as competitive as all hell. He is in the thick of everything all of the time and he has very high hockey IQ.

The only reason to go with Wright over Cooley is floor. Wright has a higher floor and still a high ceiling. However, if Cooley hits his ceiling he's the best player in the draft and we are all lamenting how we missed our shot at getting a dynamic offensive center capable of putting up Marner numbers.

Reactions: jrom and Justin11

Jul 6, 2016

Byron - Evans - Armia
Poehling/Pezzetta

Byron will be hurt by the 2nd game, so Poehling will likely be in the lineup sooner rather than later. Hopefully we can move plugs like Hoffman/Drouin/Armia and promote Ylonen or RNH onyoyce a spot opens.
Yes, Habs have to cut salaries. Even with Weber gone and Price on LTIR, they still have to move one or two big salaries. Hoffman, Armia, Drouin and Byron are good candidates if they can find a dancing partner. And these players have to be replaced too in the line up by, hopefully, cheaper options.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Yes, Habs have to cut salaries. Even with Weber gone and Price on LTIR, they still have to move one or two big salaries. Hoffman, Armia, Drouin and Byron are good candidates if they can find a dancing partner. And these players have to be replaced too in the line up by, hopefully, cheaper options.

One by one they will all go. They won't be moving them all out in the same off-season or TDL. Armia's contract, for example, might not be as attractive to teams now. But a year from now, he could be when he has less term and it will be easier for Habs to retain. Same goes for other players with term.

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I do love seeing a Habs fan judging a player who had a slow start to the season. That Cole Caufield? He's also just his slow start mixed with his later season. Great evaluation.

I'm judging his season entirely. He hasn't played with anymore pace or challenged the defenders more. He's not holding on to the puck to find better plays than the ones he takes.

So if that's his game, fine, he's still productive and great at it. The ceiling of that is not higher than a highly competitive player with elite puck skills, high end IQ, high end playmaking and a desire to make the defense uncomfortable every single moment of every shift.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
If Drouin is 100% healthy , he is the right lw for Wright. But lots could happen between now and the beginning of next season. They could try Poehling on le with Wright or trade Poehling for a real big winger like Comtois , a guy who had struggled this past season because of injuries.

I'm not against Drouin with Wright due to lack of options but then the other winger needs to have grit. I guess that's Anderson. Gallagher won't be able to keep up with them and he should be with Dvorak.

If the only changes we make is Weber to the Coyotes and Petry traded... And Wright earns his way to a 2C role by performance beyond "Don't look out of place"...

Hoffman / Suzuki / Caufield
Drouin / Wright / Anderson
Pitlick / Dvorak / Gallagher
Byron / Evans / Armia

Pezzetta, Poehling
or
Caufield / Suzuki / Armia
Hoffman / Dvorak / Gallagher
Pitlick / Evans / Byron

Pezzetta, Poehling
or

Caufield / Suzuki / Anderson
Hoffman / Wright / Armia
Drouin / Dvorak / Gallagher
Pitlick / Evans / Byron

Pezzetta, Poehling

jrom

Mar 28, 2022
That doesn't really describe Cooley though. Cooley is as competitive as all hell. He is in the thick of everything all of the time and he has very high hockey IQ.

The only reason to go with Wright over Cooley is floor. Wright has a higher floor and still a high ceiling. However, if Cooley hits his ceiling he's the best player in the draft and we are all lamenting how we missed our shot at getting a dynamic offensive center capable of putting up Marner numbers.

People often make comparisons to Suzuki play style wise but what Suzuki has shown is the ability to raise his play when it matters (including NHL cup run).

That’s what’s nagging me at the moment, Wright has done it in the past (W juniors) but this season and current playoffs not as much. Some big games vs Hamilton he was invisible. There’s probably (hopefully) a rational explication for this but there’s something puzzling there.

Not worried about his pts production, don’t care if he’s only PPG in the NHL but if disappears when we play in Boston or the playoffs ugh. Would take a “less productive” player that is clutch.

Really hope we see tonight the player we all want to draft overall. Doesn’t have to make his team win but be involved.

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
People often make comparisons to Suzuki play style wise but what Suzuki has shown is the ability to raise his play when it matters (including NHL cup run).

That’s what’s nagging me at the moment, Wright has done it in the past (W juniors) but this season and current playoffs not as much. Some big games vs Hamilton he was invisible. There’s probably (hopefully) a rational explication for this but there’s something puzzling there.

Not worried about his pts production, don’t care if he’s only PPG in the NHL but if disappears when we play in Boston or the playoffs ugh. Would take a “less productive” player that is clutch.

Really hope we see tonight the player we all want to draft overall. Doesn’t have to make his team win but be involved.

I'll give him a pass for last game with the lottery etc.

But the results are in. Now take over games at the OHL level.

Tetragrammaton

Mar 17, 2022
I'm not against Drouin with Wright due to lack of options but then the other winger needs to have grit. I guess that's Anderson. Gallagher won't be able to keep up with them and he should be with Dvorak.

If the only changes we make is Weber to the Coyotes and Petry traded... And Wright earns his way to a 2C role by performance beyond "Don't look out of place"...

Hoffman / Suzuki / Caufield
Pitlick / Dvorak / Gallagher
Byron / Evans / Armia

Pezzetta, Poehling
or
Caufield / Suzuki / Armia
Hoffman / Dvorak / Gallagher
Pitlick / Evans / Byron

Pezzetta, Poehling
or

Caufield / Suzuki / Anderson
Hoffman / Wright / Armia
Drouin / Dvorak / Gallagher
Pitlick / Evans / Byron

Pezzetta, Poehling
Imagine if Drouin and Wright develop chemistry and kill it together.. we might have to resign Drouin on the cheap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad