Confirmed with Link: Habs Get the 1st Overall Pick!!! Will It Be Shane Wright Like a Diamond?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
No because you can never predict whether you will ever have another chance to draft a top 6 center. Good defenseman are far more likely found later
This

There's also an assumption that none of Guhle, Barron, Romnaov or Mailloux take a step forward.

For the first time in a long time I'm very excited about the future,
Caufield, Suzuki, and Wright are great foundation pieces to build around up front.

Depth in young defenseman with Harris, Guhle, Barron, Romanov, Mailloux and Norlinder

More Depth to come from the number of picks we have available tover the next two years

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
habs have been chasing a centre for ever, they have Suzuki now by trade.
so go take Wright, and you have 2 centres to build around.
the the other pick in the 1st round , focus on a winger for wright's line

Reactions: Vachon23

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
Since our pipeline doesn’t include a sure bet #1 defenseman and Wright isn’t a generational talent, would you trade down to a team looking to pick him for an overpayment in order to pick Jiricek or Nemec? Then continue the rebuild and focus on the center next year.
The Habs need quality over quantity. It’s rare to have the opportunity pick 1st.

OTOH, if they think a player is better than Wright - Slaf, Cooley, Nemec - then they should pick him. … and make the pick at 1 to make sure you get him. Walk away from the draft with the best player.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
Wright is one thing. A huge thing. But the success of this draft will lie on who we pick with the Calgary pick and our own in the 2nd round. That's where we could TOTALLY change the face of our pool. Frankly, this is what I'm more eager to see.
2022 is like 2007. The same situation. All eyes on our SCOUTS!

blarneylad

Feb 1, 2009
Since our pipeline doesn’t include a sure bet #1 defenseman and Wright isn’t a generational talent, would you trade down to a team looking to pick him for an overpayment in order to pick Jiricek or Nemec? Then continue the rebuild and focus on the center next year.
Habs have a better season and we pick in the 7-10 hole next year. And the decades long issue of having no centermen continues..

100% no. You take Wright.

You then can sign or trade for someone when the time comes. Or draft that dman 7-10 next year.

Reactions: Beer and Chips

AHShadow

Apr 9, 2015
What did he say, my french is to choppy these days
Basically that he would take Wright 1000%.

Worst comes to worst, Wright will be a top 6 center, but he's projected to be a top-line center in this draft. Some people say that we should draft Cooley, and although he's more talented and more dynamic, he's more 1-dimensional than Wright and his talent would have to be A LOT higher than Wright to justify his pick. He also doesn't believe that a core of Suzuki, Caufield and Cooley would be good for playoff hockey.

Nico Cauzuki

Jul 19, 2009
King Of The North
Basically that he would take Wright 1000%.

Worst comes to worst, Wright will be a top 6 center, but he's projected to be a top-line center in this draft. Some people say that we should draft Cooley, and although he's more talented and more dynamic, he's more 1-dimensional than Wright and his talent would have to be A LOT higher than Wright to justify his pick. He also doesn't believe that a core of Suzuki, Caufield and Cooley would be good for playoff hockey.
coudlnt of said it better myself thank you just the last part was more Suzuki Caufield and Cooley being small for playoffs hockey compared to Wright whos bigger

Tetragrammaton

Mar 17, 2022
4AD5B6A9-5C91-4C4F-BCF9-0110DEBA1C3A.jpeg

Cheers to everyone!

Hannibal

Fear the Weber
Feb 11, 2007
With everytjing i’ve heard about his off-ice character, attitude and dedication, he seems like a Crosby-type persona. Don’t panick, i’m not talking about his skill set, i’m talking about his character and mindset!

HespelerGreenFlash

Dec 20, 2007
As for myself, I'm even more convince he's the guy to get. Not only does he have the highest floor and he's the best bet at being an impact player... He also has the highest ceiling of all. He's the only one who had generational tag on him... Who played at 15yo the OHL and outproduced McDavid... Dominated the U18 at 16yo. He lost a year of developpement, maybe we should consider this when looking his lat season...
Couldnt agree more. Losing a year at that age is monumental. Boys are going through last growth spurts and timing changes . To miss a year with those physical changes it would not be unfair to say that would affect his play.

He was dominant over the last half of this year. Expect him to explode next year in his development. The Habs would be nuts to pass on him.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
With everytjing i’ve heard about his off-ice character, attitude and dedication, he seems like a Crosby-type persona. Don’t panick, i’m not talking about his skill set, i’m talking about his character and mindset!

A few people were trying to be gossipers about his love life, I guess he had some girlfriend issue or something. So silly to bother about that stuff.

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
Draft Wright, let him play 9 if he's ready keep him if he's not send him back to dominate the O, WJC etc. Have him come in the following year and dominate ala Pettersson as opposed to struggling as an 18-year-old.

Reactions: Frank JT

Jul 6, 2016
God no.

Drouin shouldn't be allowed to play with Wright, nor speak to him. What a terrible player to be around and play with.

Pitlick-Wright-Gallagher

Pitlick is a playmaking winger with enough two way game and pace to force Wright into playing a higher tempo game. Gallagher can help defensively and take attention to the net.
If Drouin is 100% healthy , he is the right lw for Wright. But lots could happen between now and the beginning of next season. They could try Poehling on le with Wright or trade Poehling for a real big winger like Comtois , a guy who had struggled this past season because of injuries.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
It definitely is a need. Maybe it’s Drouin and Anderson?? That’ll get fixed over time. Many high picks have a lot less to work with when they start in the NHL

Pitlick - Suzuki* - Caufield*
Drouin - Wright* - Anderson
Hoffman - Dvorak - Gallagher

It’s not ideal. The asterisk indicate 100%, long term options. Maybe Gallagher and Anderson evolve into that, but less sure than than the 3 asterisks. Needs work but over time that left side can be rebuilt. Pitlick is obviously not 1st line player but need to balance it out to give some players to Wright as well.
Hoffman and Gallagher don't go together. Maybe switch Pitlick and Hoffman...

But Drouin and Anderson look good on paper. But they both have serious flaws in their games. I look forward to moving vets and giving Ylonen and Poehling, and Evan's and Pitlick prime minutes on the wing. But at least the vets with the big unmovable contracts are good for the tank!

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
If Drouin is 100% healthy , he is the right lw for Wright. But lots could happen between now and the beginning of next season. They could try Poehling on le with Wright or trade Poehling for a real big winger like Comtois , a guy who had struggled this past season because of injuries.

Yeah let's play him with the entitled brat who tried to force his way through the NHL because he was jealous of Nathan McKinnon. Same guy who had attitude and anger issues.

On top of that he has no hockey IQ, is the worst defensive forward on the team and drags down every player he's ever played with.

Excellent player to pair him with

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Pitlick’s speed and playmaking would be a good fit for Wright, and even though he sucks now, Gally should be his other winger and hope that some of his competitiveness rubs off on him.

Reactions: jrom and 26Mats
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad