Post-Game Talk: Habs get first shutout of the season. Beat Oilers.

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
Bergy is pleased with the victory
tenor.gif
That's early Binman, pre bindiver/street person look.

Reactions: Gravity

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Another high dangerous hit on a hab going to go unpunished? And then people question players for embellishing... I’m still disgusted by the hit on Suzuki... That was down right nasty.

That hit Suzuki looked like it almost caused whiplash! and nobody did SWA!

Reactions: Tyson

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I like the size thing,but I like the speed that AL and Byron bring. Removing those 2 and replacing with Toffoli and Armia slows things down and KK needs some speed with him,they open the ice a bit for him.

The thing with the speed is we have it in the bottom 6F but are they taking advantage of that speed (Byron and Lehkonen for example)? If we were reducing our top 6F speed, I might have a different opinion. But Lehkonen is not a top 6F, neither is Byron. Guys like Armia are harder to find IMO. He's a middle 6F

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Danault is finally back to his former self.

He is a punching bag on this site and he deserved severe criticism for his play earlier this season but he and his line mates have really stepped up. Good to see.

He has to bust his ass off if he wants a decent contract offer from us or anybody else. The $5M AAV offer is a thing of the past now. Danault has to have a good finish this season if he really does think he deserves $5M+ AAV.

Reactions: Tyson

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
The thing with the speed is we have it in the bottom 6F but are they taking advantage of that speed (Byron and Lehkonen for example)? If we were reducing our top 6F speed, I might have a different opinion. But Lehkonen is not a top 6F, neither is Byron. Guys like Armia are harder to find IMO. He's a middle 6F

It will be interesting when Staal,Toffoli and Armia are ready to play to see what they will do and who will come out.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site

He is a punching bag on this site and he deserved severe criticism for his play earlier this season but he and his line mates have really stepped up. Good to see.
Early on yes he was bad..........recently he has found it again, and kudos to the guys on his line, all 3 are playing well.
We will not win, without those guys going...........shutting down the Oilers top line last night in the 1st period had the coach change his lines, to seperate the two big guns, the rest of the game, out side of PP time.
Great performance all the way around...have some concern about the Suzuki/Andy/Drouin line right now, but obviously all 4 lines are not going to be going every game.

Reactions: Rapala and Deebs

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Based on current players in the line-up last night and assume Tofolli is 100%, the bottom-6 would be: Staal, KK, Toffoli, Evans, Armia and Perry.

Basically, Lehks and Byron are the odd men out.

I think there is a decent chance Staal plays wing to either of KK or Suzuki. I think they will try to take advantage of the face-offs. Then that means Armia plays 4th line I would imagine.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
I think there is a decent chance Staal plays wing to either of KK or Suzuki. I think they will try to take advantage of the face-offs. Then that means Armia plays 4th line I would imagine.
The habs can use a couple of their C men, over on the wing depending on the circumstances, and opponents.
Tampa has like 6 centres, and 2 are on the wing....at times...
Glad DD is now in charge instead of CJ, DD seems to be able to think outside the box that Clod had built for himself.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
The habs can use a couple of their C men, over on the wing depending on the circumstances, and opponents.
Tampa has like 6 centres, and 2 are on the wing....at times...
Glad DD is now in charge instead of CJ, DD seems to be able to think outside the box that Clod had built for himself.

100% agree. Ducharme will be more open to tinkering and Julien was too stuck in old ways. Julien got the players to think 200' game and there is value there. It's now Ducharme's time to take the baton and lead us into another game strategy where we are not playing so tight (play not to loose type strategy which is annoying).

Reactions: BLONG7

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Agreed. If Staal wins a job in the top 9, who's moving to the 4th line?

And how about when CC is ready? getting a pretty long roster there. Good to have bodies,but too many is not ideal either. If only Habs could move some and get another D........But don't see many takers for what Habs are likely willing to move out,and who are the willing to part with? So may question it's confounding.:laugh:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
And how about when CC is ready? getting a pretty long roster there. Good to have bodies,but too many is not ideal either. If only Habs could move some and get another D........But don't see many takers for what Habs are likely willing to move out,and who are the willing to part with? So may question it's confounding.:laugh:

If CC is ready, I'll take that problem! That will mean he is fringe star type if he comes in at age 20 and continues his goal scoring rampage. I would like to see us get a LD but not so sure we get someone better than what we have on LD right now. Difficult in this tight cap world.

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
If CC is ready, I'll take that problem! That will mean he is fringe star type if he comes in at age 20 and continues his goal scoring rampage. I would like to see us get a LD but not so sure we get someone better than what we have on LD right now. Difficult in this tight cap world.

Wouldn't it be more prudent to get a right D though? Habs have Chiarot,Edmunston,Romanov,Kulak.

Reactions: Joe Malone

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Wouldn't it be more prudent to get a right D though? Habs have Chiarot,Edmunston,Romanov,Kulak.

Depends on who is available and how they fit for the now and future. There is a possibility that we can move Petry to the LD side with Weber. I have Romanov and Kulak together on the bottom pairing so it comes down to Chiarot and Edmundson. So I'm engaging in more depth (Dunn and Ghost types) or we try to go after a big fish like Lindholm. In that case, we would have to send Chiarot or Byron the other way for cap reasons.

Honestly, I think the LD upgrade is not in the cards. More like a LD depth addition type move is what we will be able to pull off. This is why I would consider Byron for Ghost swap but Flyers have to retain on Ghost so we get him on Byron's cap hit. Ghost either excels with Weber or he takes Mete's depth role and Byron's cap hit.

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017

A really slow start, but credit where it’s due.

a very solid March for him. Most consistent and productive center.

still, if he wants more than 5M long term, there’s the door. ;)

Reactions: angusyoung

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Depends. There is a possibility that we can move Petry to the LD side with Weber. I have Romanov and Kulak together on the bottom pairing so it comes down to Chiarot and Edmundson. So I'm engaging in more depth (Dunn and Ghost types) or we try to go after a big fish like Lindholm.

That's lacking a few righties though and the general consensus is that coaches,players etc don't like D playing off their side,I could care less but others.......

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad