Confirmed with Link: Habs draft Zachary Fucale with the 36th overall pick (info in OP)

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
What an amazing pick that late into the draft. Congrats! It is funny... I watched him interviewed at the NHL combine and he seemed so calm and intelligent and composed and looked sooooo young though! They talked then like he could go 9th to New Jersey! He must have been disappointed to wait so long, but excited to be picked by the Habs.

The guy just seems to win almost EVERY game he plays in. It is incredible.

:handclap:

Raimu

That weird Dragon girl
Jan 21, 2006
Halifax, NS
As a Halifax Mooseheads season ticket holder and a Habs fan, I'm beyond thrilled with this pick @ 36.

Fucale has already acquired quite a few haters on HF boards for some reason I cannot explain, but I can tell you anyone who's telling you this goalie is not the best in the draft hasn't watched him play. He's a workhorse, always bounces back from a bad game, and mature way beyond his years.

THE HOFF

Sep 26, 2007
Welcome kid, hope you have thick skin.

nah just needs a work ethic, determination and passion for the game...and the habs. IE : huet was adored here, and rightfully so ... was a decent goalie who gave it all out with no excuses. that's all I ask, ... getting tired of that lazy bum (who had one great season only AFTER he lost the no 1 spot). people say price needs to be our #1 with a CLEAR backup goalie, but see how he reacted when he faced adversity ? I give credit to JM for playing our best goalie in 2010, despite all of you here wondering why price wasn't starting. you know what - it made price a better goalie. really happy to see another top dog in the pool. welcome fucale.

25get

Nov 15, 2012
Montreal
Coming from one of the biggest Price fans out there, I think this was an absolute steal of a pick at 36. Unreal potential. It's nice to have another young stud goalie in the organization waiting in the wings, even though Carey is only 25.

And even in a situation where Price is clearly our goalie for the next 10+ years, Fucale will be a fantastic trade piece down the road. And who knows, we may even have a Price/Fucale tandem for years to come. ;)

Seems like a great kid. Bright, well-spoken. A great interview.
In five years, Fucale will be 23...
Best case, we have a franchise goalie coming up when Price needs to renegotiate.

For now, I just want to see him as the top goalie in WJC.

29dryden29

Jul 4, 2010
London Ont
I like this pick the kid seems pretty solid from what I have seen of him. He played well at the U18 and it never hurts to have good goaltending prospects in the pipe. Also made me laugh that the Oil as soon as we picked him traded away their next pick. May be coincidence but still damn funny.

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
ahhh no sweat bud, ..its always like that in the Q league, even roy was like .825 or something when we drafted him lol

the key with this guy tho what mckenzie and that other dude are saying is mostly the timely saves, the big moment saves, saves that matter most in a game/series

i got no prob with this guy challenging carey in 4 years (im a big carey fan myself), ..in 4 years we will all finally know what kind of goalie carey finally is and the decisions will be made THEN

Agreed. it is a brilliant pick. Our cup window starts in 3 years, and Fucale may be ready in 4 years.

If Price struggles at that time, or god forbid is injured, we may have a good young no. 1 for free to replace him.

If Price is godly, and we have a 3rd guy who is a good backup, we might be able to get a great return for Fucale also.

He is huge insurance. Fantastic pick.

HABsurde

Jul 28, 2005
Montreal
On the 'People' or 'US magazine' (or Echo-Vedette, for the francos) side of thing, Zach girlfriend is a french-canadian actress.

So him and Brandon Prust may became best buddies :laugh:

JesusBouillon

Jan 29, 2009
I like this pick the kid seems pretty solid from what I have seen of him. He played well at the U18 and it never hurts to have good goaltending prospects in the pipe. Also made me laugh that the Oil as soon as we picked him traded away their next pick. May be coincidence but still damn funny.

From all accounts it definitely wasnt a coincidence.

Jerk Store*

Good pick. This is exactly what I said would happen in the Carey Price thread after the playoffs. Shero and Bergeving showing concern for their goaltending situations and I don't blame them.

Great pick at a great spot!

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
Fucale is going to get a ton of time. Even he knows it. Was probably told in interviews.

Anyone dreaming of him replacing Price in a year is dreaming. His development is likely going to resemble Bernier's but Bernier had a shot at number one when the Kings didn't know if him or Quick was going to mature first.

Four seasons in the Q (already has two), three seasons in the AHL is my guess before being brought up as a backup goalie.

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax
Am I wrong with this mentality?

Fucale should be given all the time in the world to develop. Most goaltenders really hit their stride when they are around the 23-26 year age group. Price is currently 25 right now...

Give Fucale a 5-8 year window to develop in the Q and the AHL and perhaps after 5-6 years, he'll be in a back-up role with the Canadiens. By then, Price will be in his 30s and will start to slow down a bit -- depending on what he looks like then. By the age of 32 (7 years from now), Fucale will be 25, the age Price is now. At that point, you can either start to roll with a 1A/1B tandem OR you can put your chips on Fucale and keep Price around as a veteran back-up presence, to really help Fucale through his NHL career.

This is what will happen (or we flip him for skaters later on to make a run), but the Price haters want to think it's going to be Schneider/Luongo in 2 years.

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York

Fucale should be given all the time in the world to develop. Most goaltenders really hit their stride when they are around the 23-26 year age group. Price is currently 25 right now...

Give Fucale a 5-8 year window to develop in the Q and the AHL and perhaps after 5-6 years, he'll be in a back-up role with the Canadiens. By then, Price will be in his 30s and will start to slow down a bit -- depending on what he looks like then. By the age of 32 (7 years from now), Fucale will be 25, the age Price is now. At that point, you can either start to roll with a 1A/1B tandem OR you can put your chips on Fucale and keep Price around as a veteran back-up presence, to really help Fucale through his NHL career. I thought Price was at HIS best when Huet was the veteran back-up and he was helping Price along the way. In this situation, Price would be the veteran helping Fucale and he'd have 10+ years of experience playing in Montreal.

The key is patience. There is no need to rush an 18 year old with his development, especially when you already have a franchise goaltender on your team. Some need to REALLY calm down with the whole idea that drafting Fucale means Price's days are numbered. Quite the opposite. Drafting Fucale means once Price's run as franchise goaltender are done, likely when he hits his 30s and he's ready to be a veteran back-up, it's Fucale's turn. The Habs have set themselves up in the goaltending department for the next 20 years.

That DOES depend on development and the road ahead but if everything works itself out... boom.

I agree with this, obviously if he kills it before that then he will progress sooner but this draft has nothing to do with Price.

Jabba11

Hockey Lobby
Nov 28, 2009
hockeylobby.blogspot.com

Give Fucale a 5-8 year window to develop in the Q and the AHL and perhaps after 5-6 years, he'll be in a back-up role with the Canadiens. By then, Price will be in his 30s and will start to slow down a bit -- depending on what he looks like then. By the age of 32 (7 years from now), Fucale will be 25, the age Price is now. At that point, you can either start to roll with a 1A/1B tandem OR you can put your chips on Fucale and keep Price around as a veteran back-up presence, to really help Fucale through his NHL career. I thought Price was at HIS best when Huet was the veteran back-up and he was helping Price along the way. In this situation, Price would be the veteran helping Fucale and he'd have 10+ years of experience playing in Montreal.

The key is patience. There is no need to rush an 18 year old with his development, especially when you already have a franchise goaltender on your team. Some need to REALLY calm down with the whole idea that drafting Fucale means Price's days are numbered. Quite the opposite. Drafting Fucale means once Price's run as franchise goaltender are done, likely when he hits his 30s and he's ready to be a veteran back-up, it's Fucale's turn. The Habs have set themselves up in the goaltending department for the next 20 years.

That DOES depend on development and the road ahead but if everything works itself out... boom.

This is what I wrote yesterday on the main boards.

IMO, Fucale won't have as much pressure as Price to succeed. He won't have to deal with the pressure of being a 1st round pick, let alone 5th overall. His calmness, work ethic, character and techniques are off the charts and will make him an elite goaltender in 7-8 years. I dare to say that Zachary Fucale will be the Canadiens franchise goaltender in 7-8 years and will be amongst the elite. He might not be the most athletic, but has all the tools to succeed.*It's bold to say such thing, but yes, he will have all the time he needs to develop. 2 more years in Halifax and team Canada at the WJC and 2 more years in the AHL with the Bulldogs. 4 years in the big league to make a safe and easy transition behind Price.

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007
There's a small light , it's the end of the long Carey Price tunnel. We have to be patient but its better than having no hope.

Succession plan in play good job MB.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton

Well said, and I agree. Hopefully we can bring him along like Boston was able to with Rask. Possibly get him some pro exposure as early as Price (20 yrs old IIRC) but not thrown into the fire with another kid as a backup. Maybe backup duties at 21/22. Who knows it would be good to get some playoff experience as a backup.

Never thought we'd be able to grab the top goalie prospect at #36. No need to blow 1st rounders although I wouldn't have been upset to use #25 on Fucale either. Favorite pick for the habs in a long time.

Last edited:

Analyzer*

Let's turn on Fucale right now.

Should have re-acquired Halak instead of drafting him.

Gainey :shakehead:

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
I don't look at this as definitely being Price's replacement or even sending a message to Carey. Montreal had no goalie depth and drafted a potential great one.

Price is still the man and will be for another few years at least. Go Habs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad