Confirmed with Link: Habs draft Zachary Fucale with the 36th overall pick (info in OP)

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
boy, is it ever going to feel good putting on the habs jersey and getting on the ice for development camp / spring training / pre season

i can only imagine hes thought about it a bunch of times growing up, playing goalie in street hockey, but for it to actually HAPPEN, ..man the kids gotta be psyched

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
It was posted in this very thread last night.

iioemj01jcYwC.gif

i love this lmao his Dad never saw it coming.

googlymoogly

Oct 27, 2007
boy, is it ever going to feel good putting on the habs jersey and getting on the ice for development camp / spring training / pre season

i can only imagine hes thought about it a bunch of times growing up, playing goalie in street hockey, but for it to actually HAPPEN, ..man the kids gotta be psyched
He's probably pissed that he'll have to buy a bunch of tickets for family:laugh:

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
One thing that was clearly evident from my times watching him play, is that he has fantastic lateral movement and phenomenal lower net coverage. Down low, he sometimes appears unbeatable.

Thebeastoftheeast

Sep 12, 2009
I was lucky enough to go to the draft yesterday to see our Mooseheads get drafted. No surprise where Nate and Joe went but sitting there 5 rows up from where the Habs table was quite surreal. Really disappointed Zach didn't go in the 1st round like I thought with some teams with extra 1sts who needed a goalie of the future but that was gone in a nanosecond when Timmins called out Fucale and then to see him proudly walk over and to get it on video was amazing.

Zach is a winner, he is technically sound and more importantly he has to the mental game down- whenever he has a bad game he bounces back quickly and he makes the big saves when they are needed. People looking at SVP only aren't getting the full picture- he didn't get as many shots at 17 as he did at 16 but the Mooseheads played a very aggressive style and had a tendency to play loosy-goosy as I call it at times.

Saintpatrick*

So when does the Fucale vs Price goalie controversy begin? I love this pick where we got him I just hope he won't be rushed to the NHL like Price was.

poetryinmotion

Jul 12, 2011
So when does the Fucale vs Price goalie controversy begin? I love this pick where we got him I just hope he won't be rushed to the NHL like Price was.

Price wasn't rushed, he had the skills and was NHL ready, but he had no one watching over him in this big city. We're not making the same mistake with Fucale.

He likely needs an other 3 years before even sniffing the Habs though. Price isn't done improving as he is entering his prime years and is a workhorse that you can paly fro 70 games a season so we're not going to see Fucale in a backup position any time soon.

TroyM

Jan 23, 2004
Maybe its just me but his attitude and demeanor from what I saw makes me think of Gallagher. And that is the highest of compliments. Anyone with an attitude like Gallagher will thrive and be adored in Montreal. Not saying he's going to be the next big thing, but if he keeps improving and is as good as people say I think he could really be a winner here. I can't say enough good things about how much I value that attitude Gally brings while still being competitive beyond compare.

Love it, and love the pick at 36. It's really exciting to have a young goalie prospect to get behind again and see how his career develops when he isn't rushed or mishandled like I feel Carey was a bit. I think this organization and front office gets it now in terms of taking care of players and giving them what they need to succeed. I feel very confident in that and that's a real boon for us that will probably show over time. Can't underestimate the mental game anymore and the Habs are not.

More than anything though I hope Price kills it next year and we can all get behind that! Still love him, but love having a potential replacement in the pipeline too, doesn't make Carey's play the end all and be all of our future in nets perhaps. But I do not look forward to the goalie controversy, god its bad enough as it is, I've ignored so many Price threads hah. So sick of the debate when he is all we have and is still performing well, just not as well as I think he can. I think he has another level to reach and stay at consistently.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Price was rushed.. no goalie should go to the NHL without playing a full season of the AHL.

He needed to learn how to handle the ups and downs of a long season on an AHL team instead of struggling through it in the NHL under the biggest goalie microscope (filled with people who have the worst goaltending knowledge).

Hopefully they don't do the same thing with Fucale. If Price hasn't won us a cup when Fucale is ready and Fucale gives you similar goaltending at a cheaper salary, you move Price. If Price has won and is an established top-5 goalie, you do what the Canucks did today and trade him for a high pick or a highly valued prospect.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
There is nothing wrong with choosing goalies. Having depth in goaltending does not hurt one bit. You guys choose an amazing goaltender i hear. You should be happy. I would expect him to appear in the nhl in 4 years. Not as a starter, but as a backup maybe. I am basing this off of experience from goalies the sens got. The sens got lehner in the 2nd round as well in 2009. It took him 4 years before he finally was able to get the job as a backup in the nhl. i fully expect fuscale to show up on the habs in 2017 or 2018 at the most. He might even show up earlier if he has improved and matured enough. I am looking forward to it personally.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
Price was rushed.. no goalie should go to the NHL without playing a full season of the AHL.

He needed to learn how to handle the ups and downs of a long season on an AHL team instead of struggling through it in the NHL under the biggest goalie microscope (filled with people who have the worst goaltending knowledge).

Hopefully they don't do the same thing with Fucale. If Price hasn't won us a cup when Fucale is ready and Fucale gives you similar goaltending at a cheaper salary, you move Price. If Price has won and is an established top-5 goalie, you do what the Canucks did today and trade him for a high pick or a highly valued prospect.

At least we'll know we'll have a buyer in Philly if and when the time comes.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal

Im of the same mind as this.

habamillions

Jul 9, 2009
Ottawa
There is nothing wrong with choosing goalies. Having depth in goaltending does not hurt one bit. You guys choose an amazing goaltender i hear. You should be happy. I would expect him to appear in the nhl in 4 years. Not as a starter, but as a backup maybe. I am basing this off of experience from goalies the sens got. The sens got lehner in the 2nd round as well in 2009. It took him 4 years before he finally was able to get the job as a backup in the nhl. i fully expect fuscale to show up on the habs in 2017 or 2018 at the most. He might even show up earlier if he has improved and matured enough. I am looking forward to it personally.

I still laugh at that trade. vermette for leclaire and a 2nd. who wouldve thought the second would turn out so good.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
I still laugh at that trade. vermette for leclaire and a 2nd. who wouldve thought the second would turn out so good.

No one would think that the second round pick would turn out so good. That is why having a good scouting unit is important for a team. Look at p.k. subban and the things he has accomplished. He was also selected in the 2nd round. Look at datysuk an how good of a player he is. He was drafted in the 6th round. There can be talented players in any round of the draft. All you need is a good scouting team. Fucale could end up being an amazing goalie for you guys and he probably will. He could turn out to be even better then carey price. You should be thrilled that you were able to pick him.

Last edited:

jedimyrmidon

Nov 30, 2012
Toronto
Is it just me or did the rest of his family look so much happier than he did, lol?

Or maybe that's just his goaltender demeanour...

Grant McCagg

@duhduhduh
Dec 13, 2010
I was in Quebec City for the Halifax-Remparts playoff series two springs ago for games three and four.

Halifax lost Game 3 and went down 3-0 in the series. They had blown a lead in the third. I went downstairs to speak to Roy after the game...on the way I saw Fucale outside his dressing room, and he was livid. Yelling and cursing, broke his stick, etc. He was the only player in the hallway.

I thought at the time...now there's a competitor. All Halifax did was come back and win the next four games.

It's rare to draft a goalie with the winning pedigree of Fucale..it may even be unprecedented. 103 CHL wins (and only 29 losses) before the age of 18. For me the most important goalie stat is wins..I'm not sure there has ever been a goalie with 100+ wins(regular season and playoff) before he turns 18 years of age....if there has, the list is surely not long.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad