Confirmed with Link: Habs draft Zachary Fucale with the 36th overall pick (info in OP)

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Is it just me or did the rest of his family look so much happier than he did, lol?

Or maybe that's just his goaltender demeanour...

i thought it was a bit "surreal" for him, ..especialy with the habs having ALREADY picked 2 times and both times it wasnt you, hes probably thinking yeah, they got carey, aint no WAY they are drafting me, so to just hear your name like that must of froze him stiff for a bit , kind of like a "is this really happening?" moment

you can see in the duthie interview and at his press conference, answering in both french and english perfectly and with a bit of giddyness, ..he cant BELIEVE hes a hab, and the habs instantly give him the task to set a goal of attaining someone like carey price, the FEAT he'll have to do to surpass our number 1 pretty damn good goalie in price, i hope it makes him have a goal to reach, to pursue, hopefully makes him better

jedimyrmidon

Nov 30, 2012
Toronto
i thought it was a bit "surreal" for him, ..especialy with the habs having ALREADY picked 2 times and both times it wasnt you, hes probably thinking yeah, they got carey, aint no WAY they are drafting me, so to just hear your name like that must of froze him stiff for a bit , kind of like a "is this really happening?" moment

you can see in the duthie interview and at his press conference, answering in both french and english perfectly and with a bit of giddyness, ..he cant BELIEVE hes a hab, and the habs instantly give him the task to set a goal of attaining someone like carey price, the FEAT he'll have to do to surpass our number 1 pretty damn good goalie in price, i hope it makes him have a goal to reach, to pursue, hopefully makes him better

Hahah, yeah. I did think his answer to being asked if he was a Habs fan was a bit strange though. Avoiding saying 'yes', as it were. He was saying how his whole family watched the Habs a lot, and how he grew up in Montreal, etc. without actually directly saying 'yeah'.

Xss

Jul 9, 2009
Maybe he isn't but he didn't want to say it. Doesn't mean he is not happy to be a hab today.

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
According to this article in a Halifax newspaper written a week ago, Fucale has always been a Habs fan.

Growing up in suburban Montreal, Fucale obsessed over every Canadiens game along with his parents and two sisters. His devotion to the team has quite literally been a lifelong way of life for him.

“Look, when you’re born in Montreal, it comes with it. You have no choice,” jokes the Rosemere, Que., native. “For three years from when I was about 10 years old, we had a 10-game pack with the Canadiens so we’d always go to games together. I got to go to about 30 games at that age and it was so much fun. We also watched a lot of the other games on TV. We’re a big crazy hockey family, that’s for sure.”

Now that he’s about to be drafted by an NHL team, Fucale’s loyalty will be put to the test. The Halifax Mooseheads star is the top goaltending prospect available and some scouts believe he could go as high as the top 10. The Canadiens don’t pick until 25th overall so there’s a good chance he will have to pull on another team’s jersey on the stage Sunday afternoon at the Prudential Centre in Newark, N.J.

“As I get closer to the draft, there’s a little bit of a detachment because I’m pretty sure the team that drafts me is going to become my favourite team,” he said. “I’m pretty convinced of that.”

http://thechronicleherald.ca/sports/1137425-fucale-has-star-potential

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
According to this article in a Halifax newspaper written a week ago, Fucale has always been a Habs fan.

http://thechronicleherald.ca/sports/1137425-fucale-has-star-potential

I read the article on Rds today also,said whole family crazy Hab fans.
Thats is why the reaction from his father...he didnt think Habs was goona pick Zach, was in total disbelief..

they passed on him at 34...
I read his mother thought there might be a chance since habs had 34 36,in the gif watch her look over at Zach,right before the pick....

jedimyrmidon

Nov 30, 2012
Toronto

Mike Mike Caron

Aug 29, 2010
My goodness, Button is so effusive in his praise that it's getting me really excited to think of what Fucale could become, and how much value the Habs got taking him at #36.

Then again, Button absolutely loved Matt Dumba and he's facing some difficulties at the moment.

"Growing up in suburban Montreal, Fucale obsessed over every Canadiens game along with his parents and two sisters. His devotion to the team has quite literally been a lifelong way of life for him."

Roz

Jul 2, 2013
NS
Another Mooseheads fan here. This clip isn't of a flashy save - it's not a save at all, really - but it's easily one of my favourite Fucale moments from this past year as it really shows off his vaunted composure.

Setting: A highly-charged Game 4 of the QMJHL finals @ Baie-Comeau. There is ~40 seconds left in the 3rd and the Mooseheads have put the game out of reach and are poised to go up 3-1 in the series. The Drakkar - who were involved in a post-game brawl in the semi-finals and have a reputation for being dirty - take a timeout and put their 4th line on the ice. Jon-Alec Banville lobs a "shot" at Fucale in order to take a run at him. Charles Poulin takes another run at him after the whistle. This video should be shown to kids as a textbook example of how a goalie should react in this situation.

[Video here in case the embed doesn't work. You can see the scrum from a different angle here.]

As I said, it's not a flashy play but it's a great example of the little things Zach does that make him special - the stuff that doesn't show up in a save percentage or GAA. There are a lot of veteran NHL goalies who lose their cool over much, much less. I'm really thrilled that the Habs picked him. Goalies are hard to project, but I can't picture a kid with a temperament better suited to take the scrutiny he'll be facing in Montreal.

Leo Getz

Sep 4, 2007
Another Mooseheads fan here. This clip isn't of a flashy save - it's not a save at all, really - but it's easily one of my favourite Fucale moments from this past year as it really shows off his vaunted composure.

Setting: A highly-charged Game 4 of the QMJHL finals @ Baie-Comeau. There is ~40 seconds left in the 3rd and the Mooseheads have put the game out of reach and are poised to go up 3-1 in the series. The Drakkar - who were involved in a post-game brawl in the semi-finals and have a reputation for being dirty - take a timeout and put their 4th line on the ice. Jon-Alec Banville lobs a "shot" at Fucale in order to take a run at him. Charles Poulin takes another run at him after the whistle. This video should be shown to kids as a textbook example of how a goalie should react in this situation.

[Video here in case the embed doesn't work. You can see the scrum from a different angle here.]

As I said, it's not a flashy play but it's a great example of the little things Zach does that make him special - the stuff that doesn't show up in a save percentage or GAA. There are a lot of veteran NHL goalies who lose their cool over much, much less. I'm really thrilled that the Habs picked him. Goalies are hard to project, but I can't picture a kid with a temperament better suited to take the scrutiny he'll be facing in Montreal.

Who are the two in red fighting him at the same time. Bush league right there.

bcv

My french sucks.
Sep 18, 2010

Loved Lewis reaction. Also loved #27's reaction when Lewis invited him to dance after he knocked the other guy.

Price My Man Crush

Aug 27, 2011
Montréal

Damn man, that's pretty cool. Not cool that some players took a run at him because it's classless but it's cool that he stayed calm and one of his teammates defended him. He never jumped on any of these guys. Lewis did everything he could to handle the two punks. :laugh:

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Damn man, that's pretty cool. Not cool that some players took a run at him because it's classless but it's cool that he stayed calm and one of his teammates defended him. He never jumped on any of these guys. Lewis did everything he could to handle the two punks. :laugh:

Baie-Comeau did this EVERY game.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
Watched the interview with this kid after he was drafted and you can tell he's going to be a very good goalie. The kid just oozes class and intelligence. I really don't think he's the type of player I'll be able to cheer against, even as a Leafs fan.

Amazing pick. Hope the kid turns out well and has a great career. Couldn't be more deserving of going to his favourite team.

Roz

Jul 2, 2013
NS
Were they doing this because the coach asked to do so?

It's hard to say. Baie-Comeau has always had a reputation for being kinda dirty - no matter who was the coach, who was GM, who played for them, etc. They were a really skilled team this year but that didn't stop them from gooning it up when they lost in the playoffs.

That makes you think the coach is involved somehow, but B-C coach Eric Veilleux and Halifax coach Dominique Ducharme are really good friends and I'd be surprised if Eric would be so disrespectful that way. But then again...how else can you interpret this situation? Veilleux takes a timeout, puts his 4th line on and this fracas happens after the first faceoff.

In the semi-finals, B-C successfully drew the Armada into a brawl (though that was more mutual combat than the blatant incitement against Halifax was). They lost a 4th liner for two games to suspension, while the Armada lost one of their better players in Ryan Tesink. In that sense they "won" the brawl. I think they were trying to accomplish something similar here. It didn't work. They succeeded in getting Lewis suspended, but one of their top D-men (Verpaelst) got suspended too so it ended up a wash.

I think that their ultimate goal was to hopefully goad Fucale into taking a swing at someone and getting a suspension as a result. There was no way they were going to win the series as long as Fucale was between the pipes.

As you can see, trying to rattle Fucale is a fool's errand - especially when players like Lewis are on the ice. You could see that he wasn't just going through the motions - he was genuinely enraged by what B-C was doing. But really, any one of the Mooseheads would probably be willing to stick up for Fucale like that. They know that it's his skill that allowed them to play such aggressive offense. Halifax gave up a lot of breakaways and odd-man rushes this year because they pressed so hard. They couldn't play "their game" the way they did without absolute trust in Fucale. In turn, Fucale knew that anyone coming after him would be in for a world of hurt, so he never had to worry about fighting those battles.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad