Confirmed with Link: Habs draft Jacob De La Rose with the 34th overall pick (info in OP)

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
Does it matter who said what?
Habs wanted Windsor.
DLR wanted what's best for him
Salo wants him there
He signed a 2yr deal, last year
Rychel wants what Rychel wants- who cares :)
Regardless of who said what, when, reality is Swedish club holds trump card.

I think DLR develops just fine over the next year. Practicing with men, international tourney with big role, minutess playing with men and having to compete and earn PT. Lots of advantages there.

The good thing is the seemingly mature manor in which DLR has handled this tug O war and at times sqwuak fest by the 3 parties ( re Spits :) )

Grant McCagg

@duhduhduh
Dec 13, 2010
One more thing to consider - Windsor was a gong show last season. The team as a whole grossly underachieved considering the talent, and missed the playoffs. One player charged with ****, Rychel playing lackadaisically for much of the season with little regard for backchecking, players with questionable smarts like Ebert and Hang-So, who thinks he's the only one who should have the puck.

It's not like DLR is missing out on Shangri la. Right across from Detroit - the bankrupt city mere miles away with its many vices. Windsor got busted for illegal signing practices and is forfeiting 5 high draft picks (including their 2013 pick)...another thing that doesn't put Warren Rychel in a great light either....if he cheated in the signing of players..who's to say he's telling the truth about what Salo supposedly "promised" him? Some questionable characters on that team, including the owner, and they weren't put in check last season. Who's to say it will be appreciably better next year?

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
See: This post:

Someone's got to be lying about something somewhere, because from what Simonster reported, it sure sounds like De La Rose said that it's Montreal who told him Windsor was the best way to go.

There's a difference between wanting him in Windsor and being dissapointed he's in Leksand, can't see how that concept is hard to understand...

Leksand not being the habs first choice doesn't mean it's a bad one for DLR.

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
Spot on Grant. I eluded to it without saying it but Id be reluctant to send a kid to Windsor until they show they can improve the dressing room culture and off ice antics.

JHabs

HFB Partner
Dec 14, 2007
Montreal
twitter.com
One more thing to consider - Windsor was a gong show last season. The team as a whole grossly underachieved considering the talent, and missed the playoffs. One player charged with ****, Rychel playing lackadaisically for much of the season with little regard for backchecking, players with questionable smarts like Ebert and Hang-So, who thinks he's the only one who should have the puck.

It's not like DLR is missing out on Shangri la. Right across from Detroit - the bankrupt city mere miles away with its many vices. Windsor got busted for illegal signing practices and is forfeiting 5 high draft picks (including their 2013 pick)...another thing that doesn't put Warren Rychel in a great light either....if he cheated in the signing of players..who's to say he's telling the truth about what Salo supposedly "promised" him? Some questionable characters on that team, including the owner, and they weren't put in check last season. Who's to say it will be appreciably better next year?

original.gif

Holy ****

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
The point is he isn't your player yet. On some people here it sounds like you believe that Leksand is obligated to act as to make JDLR as good a player as possible for when the Habs decide to bring him over. He won't be put on a 1st or 2nd line to improve for you, he will be put there if he earns it and it is quite unlikely. I understand that you wish that things are maximised for his development, but you can't demand it and you do not have a case if it doesn't happen.

Leksand's business is winning hockey games in Sweden and using our players as we see fit to achieve this. That include JDLR being everywhere from 1st line to outside the team depending on how he performs. Leksand's business is not developing prospects for the NHL. A lot of Swedish hockey fans are not happy with the deal the Swedish Hockey Association has with the NHL where you pretty much can snatch whoever whenever for a relatively small sum as it is undermining the ambition for SHL and its teams to be internationally competitive and attractive.

I guess the economic side of things also do play a small role in this. The deal between Sweden and NHL is that the clubs a player has represented the last four years are getting payed a quarter of the total sum per season he represented them. If JDLR stays one more year with us we will get 4/4 if this money but if he left now we'd only get 3/4 as he has only been here for three seasons to this date. This is only a minor reason though I'd say and definitely not at the core of the issue.

Strangely, you ask of us to look at it FROM YOUR SIDE, yet, doesn't seem to give a **** at looking at ours. OUR point of view is that we don't care about your team. Just as much as you don't care about ours. As far as the bold part, well, of course. Yet, your GM talks about "we're doing what's best for his development"...yeah...great BS there. No he isn't. He couldn't care less as he's losing this player in 1 year. And De la Rose is not going to play his career in Sweden. So yes, Salo is doing what's best for his team, which, FROM OUR SIDE, why should we care about it as we don't care about any team in Sweden but just our perspective about how our players will develop. 'Cause he was drafted by us and will end up playing most of his career with us.

Now, I get all of this. He had a contract, he should be respecting it. I guess it was his fault for signing it in the first place. But at one point, the name of the game is that the NHL still ends up with the greatest players. So you had a player who wanted to come over, you had a team in Montreal who wanted him to come over, you had a Windsor team who wanted him and then you had his Swedish team who didn't wan to release it. Fine. It's their right. Just as it's our right to not like it. Just as it's your right to think that he should respect his contract. Everybody is in their right here. Just don't pretend as if you're the only only understanding the situation and while asking us to see YOUR version, to totally disregard ours.

Yes, it's pretty frustrating to continuously see your greatest players go in another continent. Don't hate the player...hate the game. Until your players stays, that's how it's going to be. And when it's not like that anymore, well we'll adjust, we'Ll play amongst North Americans and other countries, and you'll play in another big Euro League. Until then.....it's a competition. And we understand your side of the story....pretty sure you don't understand ours though...not the way you keep treating people as ignorant or anything else....

As far as development is concerned, where the heck am I demanding icetime. I'm HOPING for icetime understanding that they don't have to give it to him but he has to earn it. And as a proof that I totally understand the situation, I ALSO mentioned that if he does happen to have the icetime, staying in Sweden is the BEST thing for his development. I'm eager to see if he will have that icetime. That's all.

JHabs

HFB Partner
Dec 14, 2007
Montreal
twitter.com
Strangely, you ask of us to look at it FROM YOUR SIDE, yet, doesn't seem to give a **** at looking at ours. OUR point of view is that we don't care about your team. Just as much as you don't care about ours. As far as the bold part, well, of course. Yet, your GM talks about "we're doing what's best for his development"...yeah...great BS there. No he isn't. He couldn't care less as he's losing this player in 1 year. And De la Rose is not going to play his career in Sweden. So yes, Salo is doing what's best for his team, which, FROM OUR SIDE, why should we care about it as we don't care about any team in Sweden but just our perspective about how our players will develop. 'Cause he was drafted by us and will end up playing most of his career with us.

Now, I get all of this. He had a contract, he should be respecting it. I guess it was his fault for signing it in the first place. But at one point, the name of the game is that the NHL still ends up with the greatest players. So you had a player who wanted to come over, you had a team in Montreal who wanted him to come over, you had a Windsor team who wanted him and then you had his Swedish team who didn't wan to release it. Fine. It's their right. Just as it's our right to not like it. Just as it's your right to think that he should respect his contract. Everybody is in their right here. Just don't pretend as if you're the only only understanding the situation and while asking us to see YOUR version, to totally disregard ours.

Yes, it's pretty frustrating to continuously see your greatest players go in another continent. Don't hate the player...hate the game. Until your players stays, that's how it's going to be. And when it's not like that anymore, well we'll adjust, we'Ll play amongst North Americans and other countries, and you'll play in another big Euro League. Until then.....it's a competition. And we understand your side of the story....pretty sure you don't understand ours though...not the way you keep treating people as ignorant or anything else....

As far as development is concerned, where the heck am I demanding icetime. I'm HOPING for icetime understanding that they don't have to give it to him but he has to earn it. And as a proof that I totally understand the situation, I ALSO mentioned that if he does happen to have the icetime, staying in Sweden is the BEST thing for his development. I'm eager to see if he will have that icetime. That's all.

There's always the KHL route ;-) Finland seems to be eyeballing that

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003

Which brings the question if everything you're saying is a big red flag...why would the Habs want De la Rose to come over next year? Why not ask him to stay in Sweden this year and even the year after? Why does it seem that it was the Habs choice to get him in Windsor as soon as this year?

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
There's always the KHL route ;-) Finland seems to be eyeballing that

Surely, one day we might see a 2 big leagues, the KHL becoming a big Euro league where players will choose from. So be it if it happens. May the best league wins. Not convinced they'll get most of the stars, but we might see a more North American flavor on our side as some Euros stars will choose to stay home. And again, so be it. I won't cry about it. To each their own.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
Which brings the question if everything you're saying is a big red flag...why would the Habs want De la Rose to come over next year? Why not ask him to stay in Sweden for another year? Why does it seem that it was the Habs choice to get him in Windsor as soon as this year?

Once again, exactly what I had in mind when writing my posts. I don't know what happened in Windsor last season and it sure as hell doesn't look nice and pink if what Grant said is true, but there's got to be a reason why the Habs originally wanted him to come to Ontario. Honestly.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
And once again, while I understand that legally, it was in Salo's rights to keep the rights on his player, I don't think it makes him any less of an *******. As Whitesnake said, he couldn't care less about DLR's developement. He's never going to see him again after this year. So worst comes to worst, if he doesn't work out fine right away next season, he won't play, and there are going to be no long-term consequences for Salo, who was going to lose him to the OHL next year anyway.

I don't like the outlook of that. And I don't think Habs fans should be 100% comfortable with what's going on there... Especially knowing this player needs playing time to increase his puck-skills and scoring awareness.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
Playing in Leksand is not the end of the world....if he ends up playing. Now, new team in a big league, really possible that he gets more icetime than a regular team already filled with regular players for sure. But how many youngsters his age gets a regular turn? And no, Collberg is still a GREAT prospect even if he didn't get his regular turn....no doubt in my mind. Just wonder how better could he have been while playing a top flight role on a great CHL team.

Like I said before, I believe De la Rose has more the profile to be a regular has he is a safe player. And as a team, you prefer to see that than a high-risk offensive player. But MY concern as a Habs fan is the player's development. My point is that without icetime, I have some concerns. WITH icetime, SHL is the best league for him.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
Playing in Leksand is not the end of the world....if he ends up playing. Now, new team in a big league, really possible that he gets more icetime than a regular team already filled with regular players for sure. But how many youngsters his age gets a regular turn? And no, Collberg is still a GREAT prospect even if he didn't get his regular turn....no doubt in my mind. Just wonder how better could he have been while playing a top flight role on a great CHL team.

Like I said before, I believe De la Rose has more the profile to be a regular has he is a safe player. And as a team, you prefer to see that than a high-risk offensive player. But MY concern as a Habs fan is the player's development. My point is that without icetime, I have some concerns. WITH icetime, SHL is the best league for him.

One could also argue that they won't be as patient with his if he starts off slow, knowing he'll bail out after this season. I mean, what's the point of developing a player who won't be there more than one season.

So it's actually possible that if it doesn't work out short-term, he'll warm up the bench. No big deal from Leksand's point of view.

Grant McCagg

@duhduhduh
Dec 13, 2010
Which brings the question if everything you're saying is a big red flag...why would the Habs want De la Rose to come over next year? Why not ask him to stay in Sweden this year and even the year after? Why does it seem that it was the Habs choice to get him in Windsor as soon as this year?

I'm not saying it's a huge red flag..rather that this isn't the Windsor organization from 5 years ago.

Have you seen a single quote from the organization saying they didn't want him playing in Sweden? That is speculation. I'm fairly certain that the Habs were fine with either scenario..why wouldn't they be? Not like he's playing in Siberia.

The Habs knew about Rychel's intention to draft him, and weren't upset that he did...it gives the Habs and DLR more leverage one would think. You can be damn sure that if DLR and the team isn't happy with his ice time this season, he will be in Windsor next year.

Who knows what went on behind the scenes after Windsor selected him..perhaps Salo assured DLR and the Habs that he would not sit on the bench this season.

Simonster

Jul 23, 2013
@Whitesnake

I'm not disregarding your view and of course you have the right not to like whatever you don't want to like.

Maybe I wasn't clear enough but I didn't mean you specifically demanded icetime. It was more of a reflection on a lot of opinions in the first 15 pages of this thread, but I couldn't quote the whole bunch of them.

The point of it all was that no one here should believe that Leksand will take Montreal's interest into account and that it isn't fair to get upset at Salo or whoever if we don't as he is our player. But not liking it? Of course, feel free.

As of Salo, no one that isn't him would know, of course. But I do believe he believes it best for JDLR to stay in Leksand, and I do believe he cares about keeping a good relation with Jacob. After all, the chance of him returning to Sweden at some point in his career is fairly big and I do think the leadership of the club would like such a return to be to us.

Bob b smith

Jan 14, 2007
The point is he isn't your player yet. On some people here it sounds like you believe that Leksand is obligated to act as to make JDLR as good a player as possible for when the Habs decide to bring him over. He won't be put on a 1st or 2nd line to improve for you, he will be put there if he earns it and it is quite unlikely. I understand that you wish that things are maximised for his development, but you can't demand it and you do not have a case if it doesn't happen.

Leksand's business is winning hockey games in Sweden and using our players as we see fit to achieve this. That include JDLR being everywhere from 1st line to outside the team depending on how he performs. Leksand's business is not developing prospects for the NHL. A lot of Swedish hockey fans are not happy with the deal the Swedish Hockey Association has with the NHL where you pretty much can snatch whoever whenever for a relatively small sum as it is undermining the ambition for SHL and its teams to be internationally competitive and attractive.

For better or worse, current practice is for Top Swedish prospects to end up playing in the NHL. Whether it's enshrined in a clause of the Transfer Agreement or is tolerated by the IIHF as an acceptable business practice, Swedish players are drafted in the Entry Draft by NHL clubs.

While it's not a contractual right there is some legal right that binds DLR to negotiate a future contract with the Canadiens if he decides to play in the NHL... When he's deemed good enough to play pro NA hockey, he'll follow the route followed by almost all top Swedish players and play for the Canadiens. De facto, DLR will be playing in the Habs organization by the age of 22 at the tail end of his development period.

I appreciate you recognizing that "Leksand's business is not developing prospects for the NHL''. If DLR is any good, he'll end up with Montreal at 22 because of this hybrid legal right recognized by international practice that's owned by the Canadiens, not Leksand, not the SEL.... So any argument by Salo or someone affiliated with the SEL using the development angle (instead of their strict one-year contract with DLR which is perfectly valid) is self-serving.

Montreal has a vested interest on how DLR looks at 22. Leksand has none. He won't by playing in Leksand. You claimed that reasoning was "ignorant"... I say you have blinders on and can't face reality...

I would love for one or more top pro club in Sweden having the same financial assets and competitive circuit as the NHL to attract the top Swedish players in their prime. Unfortunately, we're not there yet.

Simonster

Jul 23, 2013
For better or worse, current practice is for Top Swedish prospects to end up playing in the NHL. Whether it's enshrined in a clause of the Transfer Agreement or is tolerated by the IIHF as an acceptable business practice, Swedish players are drafted in the Entry Draft by NHL clubs.

While it's not a contractual right there is some legal right that binds DLR to negotiate a future contract with the Canadiens if he decides to play in the NHL... When he's deemed good enough to play pro NA hockey, he'll follow the route followed by almost all top Swedish players and play for the Canadiens. De facto, DLR will be playing in the Habs organization by the age of 22 at the tail end of his development period.

I appreciate you recognizing that "Leksand's business is not developing prospects for the NHL''. If DLR is any good, he'll end up with Montreal at 22 because of this hybrid legal right recognized by international practice that's owned by the Canadiens, not Leksand, not the SEL.... So any argument by Salo or someone affiliated with the SEL using the development angle (instead of their strict one-year contract with DLR which is perfectly valid) is self-serving.

Montreal has a vested interest on how DLR looks at 22. Leksand has none. He won't by playing in Leksand. You claimed that reasoning was "ignorant"... I say you have blinders on and can't face reality...

I would love for one or more top pro club in Sweden having the same financial assets and competitive circuit as the NHL to attract the top Swedish players in their prime. Unfortunately, we're not there yet.
I'm not saying that reasoning is ignorant. That reasoning is just mere facts. What I call ignorant is the opinion that Leksand, an elite club with their own needs and goals, should act according to Montreal's wishes if there is no gain from it. We didn't ask for Windsor to 'take a chance' and draft JDLR. Had the Habs drafted him first round, they could have done whatever they wanted (if I understand the situation correctly), but this is not the case.

Bob b smith

Jan 14, 2007
I'm not saying that reasoning is ignorant. That reasoning is just mere facts. What I call ignorant is the opinion that Leksand, an elite club with their own needs and goals, should act according to Montreal's wishes if there is no gain from it. We didn't ask for Windsor to 'take a chance' and draft JDLR. Had the Habs drafted him first round, they could have done what they wanted (if I understand the situation correctly), but this is not the case.

This is what you said:

"Swede supporting Leksand here. From my perspective, some of the comments here (like... "How about the Habs decide where he'll develop better? Both Windsor and Leksand will only have him in the short term and are biased...") are quite ignorant"

This is not about where he should play next season. It's been recognized that Leksand has a valid contract... I agree Leksand doesn't give a crap if DLR develops correctly of not. If he plays with them next season, Leksand will do what they want. They have games to win.

My big problem is about people affiliated with the SHL suggesting that he's better served playing in Sweden for his development. And that they should know better than Montreal...If the Habs say he's better served staying in Sweden (or that it matter little) I believe it. If someone affiliated with SHL saying it's a step back in DLR's progress to come to NA, it's biased because they directly benefit from him choosing Sweden right now and don't care where his game ends up in the future...

Grant McCagg

@duhduhduh
Dec 13, 2010
This is what you said:

"Swede supporting Leksand here. From my perspective, some of the comments here (like... "How about the Habs decide where he'll develop better? Both Windsor and Leksand will only have him in the short term and are biased...") are quite ignorant"

This is not about where he should play next season. It's been recognized that Leksand has a valid contract... I agree Leksand doesn't give a crap if DLR develops correctly of not. If he plays with them next season, Leksand will do what they want. They have games to win.

My big problem is about people affiliated with the SHL suggesting that he's better served playing in Sweden for his development. And that they should know better than Montreal...If the Habs say he's better served staying in Sweden (or that it matter little) I believe it. If someone affiliated with SHL saying it's a step back in DLR's progress to come to NA, it's biased because they directly benefit from him choosing Sweden right now and don't care where his game ends up in the future...

I understand your points, and there is some validity to both sides, but I don't think it's true that Swedish hockey, and Leksand and other club teams in particular, doesn't care how he develops.

The majority of players on Sweden's Olympic and world championship teams come from the NHL.... do you honestly believe they don't care how Swedish players perform and develop in the CHL and NHL? You have to look at it from their perspective.

The Swedes care deeply about the world championships, much moreso than the majority of North Americans - of course they want to see the high draft picks succeed in the NHL - it's good for their program and reputation , good for the country's morale...even good for recruiting purposes. They realize the majority of top Swedish players come to the NHL...it would be quite shortsighted and vindictive to hope that players they've developed since they could first lace up skates come over here and fall flat on their faces.

I don't blame them for not wanting every player to bolt the moment they are selected by junior teams in a draft held on another continent. Unlike here..17 and 18-year olds can play pro hockey outside of the NHL....it's very strong hockey (better than the OHL), and history has shown that the majority of high-end prospects develop just fine staying an extra year or two in Sweden.

Simonster

Jul 23, 2013
This is what you said:

My big problem is about people affiliated with the SHL suggesting that he's better served playing in Sweden for his development. If the Habs say he's better served staying in Sweden (or that it matter little) I believe it. And that they should know better than Montreal... If someone affiliated with SHL saying it's a step back in DLR's progress to come to NA, it's biased because they directly benefit from him choosing Sweden right now...
Yes, and the opinion that the Habs should decide is an opinion implying that Leksand should surrender their rights and adhere to Montreal's wishes. It's still not what you are trying to make of my statement.

A minor footnote: In the SHL, the clubs are not franchises to the league but owned in majority by the clubs own members. The league (which is owned by the clubs) per se doesn't have much to do with this case, it's an issue of Leksand's. Maybe the Swedish Ice Hockey Association has some interest in the case due to JDLR representing the national team as someone mentioned earlier, but I doubt the league is involved.

Bob b smith

Jan 14, 2007
Yes, and the opinion that the Habs should decide is an opinion implying that Leksand should surrender their rights and adhere to Montreal's wishes. It's still not what you are trying to make of my statement.

A minor footnote: In the SHL, the clubs are not franchises to the league but owned in majority by the clubs own members. The league (which is owned by the clubs) per se doesn't have much to do with this case, it's an issue of Leksand's. Maybe the Swedish Ice Hockey Association has some interest in the case due to JDLR representing the national team as someone mentioned earlier, but I doubt the league is involved.

I clearly said black on white if you had taken the time to scroll down the page under what you had initially quoted, that Leksand did not need to surrender their rights on the player and adhere to Montreal's wishes. I'm "trying to make of (your) statement" that you shouldn't come on another board and claim posts are "ignorant" instead of "disagreeing" with a post without taking time to figure out the context.

Grant McCagg

@duhduhduh
Dec 13, 2010
We are speculating way too much that Montreal was adamant that DLR come over here to play next season. The only reference to that I have seen is from Rychel's rant right after he found out that his top pick wouldn't be coming over. I think if Montreal had really pushed it..he'd be playing in Windsor.

Rychel's assertion that Salo was just fine with DLR coming to play in Windsor has already been put into question with Salo's denial. I have a tendency to believe Salo in this instance. I doubt very much that he was pleased as punch that Windsor would be drafting his player and trying to bring him over this season..much like Red Berenson was never happy when his recruits left Michigan earlier than he'd wanted, or Andy Murray losing McCarron to London.

I'm having a hard time believing Rychel in this instance...just doesn't seem logical that Salo assured him it was hunky dory. He's pissed that he had no first round OHL pick, and now no first round Import pick.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
A lot of people are slotting him in as a center.

Has there been serious discussion by anyone of authority of moving him to pivot? I really like the idea but I thought he said he's much more comfortable as a winger.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc

Reading all of that it's a recipe for disaster, having young prospects trying to concentrate on their development. This is a situation where having Lapointe and Brisebois to be there to assist Vail and keep him on a professional course, instead of a dysfunctional path like the organization he's playing for is headed down.:shakehead

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
I'm not saying it's a huge red flag..rather that this isn't the Windsor organization from 5 years ago.

Have you seen a single quote from the organization saying they didn't want him playing in Sweden? That is speculation. I'm fairly certain that the Habs were fine with either scenario..why wouldn't they be? Not like he's playing in Siberia.

The Habs knew about Rychel's intention to draft him, and weren't upset that he did...it gives the Habs and DLR more leverage one would think. You can be damn sure that if DLR and the team isn't happy with his ice time this season, he will be in Windsor next year.

Who knows what went on behind the scenes after Windsor selected him..perhaps Salo assured DLR and the Habs that he would not sit on the bench this season.

Honestly, I don't even go there. You might know, but I surely don't as far as what behind the scene. So who said what is not my prerogative. Not going to call Salo a liar as I have no idea if he was. We'll give everybody the benefit of the doubt....but unless Salo has talked to his coach, how can he know how much icetime DLR will be getting? Unless it does work differently over there, where the GM just as much say in the icetime than the coach, if Salo did say that he'll get as much icetime he deserves or that he'll develop great over there, it has to mean it's by playing. And if so, it has to mean that this is what the coach also thinks. The only thing we know is that DLR and his agent signed a contract. Unless Salo didn't have room for him, he's keeping his player. Fine. But again, I just hope it will mean icetime. And I'm not talking about 20 minutes a game. But more than Collberg though, that's for sure.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad