Habs Draft Combine/Mini-camp

Status
Not open for further replies.

That

Aug 25, 2012
Toronto
McCarron's final statistics this season (not including Four Nations U18 tournament in November): 55 GP - 14 G - 20 A - 34 PTS

In his first 28 GP: 3 G - 8 A - 11 PTS
In his final 27 GP: 11 G - 12 A - 23 PTS

That's a tremendous second half. Quite impressive if you ask me.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
Also since we were talking about McCarron possibly going the OHL route, I noticed this quote from Hockey Prospect's head scout in their guide...

Quotable: “NHL Scouts I spoke to had Mike anywhere from an early second
rounder to 3rd round or later. I Spoke to him at length at the combine and he
impressed me with his honesty about his game. We spoke a lot about his team
of choice next season, including his visit to London for game 5 of the OHL Finals.
My gut feel after our chat is that he will be in London next season but I
honestly feel that as of now it’s still up in the air. His interview with me rose
his stock a bit.†- Mark Edwards

phillytennis

Mar 4, 2012
Respect your opinion but lucic averages a ppg in the nhl then McCarron does in the ushl. So no he really doesn't

I find McCarron is totally overrated...he appears to be a slow Keith Primeau...I wouldn't consider him until our 55th pick or later...not sooner than that!!!

Grant McCagg

@duhduhduh
Dec 13, 2010
Amazed at how many McCarron experts there are on here, especially when he appeared on television a grand total of once in the past season. Most say they don't think he's a first rounder..now there's even someone going one better and saying he's overrated. The exact opposite is true - he is being severely underrated. You'll see on draft day.

He is the player I want the Habs to take at 25 if he's there. I see his upside as a second line 6-5 winger who can score 20-25 goals and 40-50 points and chip in 100-150 PIM's. Not many of them in the NHL folks.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Amazed at how many McCarron experts there are on here, especially when he appeared on television a grand total of once in the past season. Most say they don't think he's a first rounder..now there's even someone going one better and saying he's overrated. The exact opposite is true - he is being severely underrated. You'll see on draft day.

He is the player I want the Habs to take at 25 if he's there. I see his upside as a second line 6-5 winger who can score 20-25 goals and 40-50 points and chip in 100-150 PIM's. Not many of them in the NHL folks.

How does he compare to Colton Gillies (went 16th in a weaker draft)?

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City

I'd also like to add to this and ask how he compares to Mantha? Another tall winger but one who has been accused of not using his size.

Love your posts, Grant. (Watsatheo is okay, too, I guess)

chaosrevolver

Snubbed Again
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2006
Ontario

Agreed. Saw him live a few times and he`s very impressive in person.

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec

Not saying anything against your point, just pointing out that there were streams available for most(if not all) games at the U-18.

So some might have actually seen play more than that one particular game. But if they did, they wouldn't have a bad opinion on him. I was wondering at first why he was used so much by the coach, but I quickly understood why. He was a physical force, and appeared arguably better than Compher in the tournament(in my humble opinion).

Analyzer*

I'd take McCarron at 25 and wouldn't be upset about it.

If we trade up for him it will depend on the cost.

Analyzer*

Just 23 more days..

2 more weeks then I'm on holidays for a week so I can follow all the newest rumours, or trades, or whatever closely and not have to miss any.

awwwyeah.jpg

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Not much of a Martin fan.. he's one of those blocking type goalies I talked about in the Allaire thread. I hope they take a look at Jarry. I wonder if they'll invite Fucale to the camp as well?

I don't have a lot of faith in this scouting staff when it comes to goalies. Halak was a previous regime, I believe.. Heino-Lindberg, Missiaen, Lacasse, and Simila are notable goalie busts.. add in signings like Delmas, there's not a lot of success there.

Halak 03
Lindberg 03
Lacasse 04
Price 05

Missiaen 08
Simila 09

The group that drafted Halak probably were around to draft Price Lindberg & Lacasse.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia

I'd rather pick Hayden. Hayden has better hands in same league. He's big, center and way better +/-

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
2 days later, it looks like Nick Moutrey of the Saginaw Spirit was also here on Wednesday:

1369921624335_ORIGINAL.jpg

lower left corner...#91...you don't quite see the logo, but you see it in this pic and it's the same one:

Moutrey4641.jpg

So yet another big forward on the radar.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I'd rather pick Hayden. Hayden has better hands in same league. He's big, center and way better +/-

Hayden is good and I got him in the mock. But McCarron is rated ahead of him because his upside is higher. Hayden might be more safe.

2 days later, it looks like Nick Moutrey of the Saginaw Spirit was also here on Wednesday:

1369921624335_ORIGINAL.jpg

lower left corner...#91...you don't quite see the logo, but you see it in this pic and it's the same one:

Moutrey4641.jpg

So yet another big forward on the radar.

Moutrey had a great sophomore season in the OHL.. but at the same token.. he's batting 0 for 16 in play-off points. I don't think I'd take him before the 3rd round.

Grant McCagg

@duhduhduh
Dec 13, 2010

Very little in common other than size/skating ability. Gillies has zero offensive hockey sense and vision....McCarron has decent sense and ses the ice well. He was a good interview too, smart kid with a good head on his shoulders.

Hayden won't be going ahead of McCarron. Some of you guys are disappointing me with your evaluations...they're not even close.

I know people saw webcasts....Webcasts in general, but especially from one tournament, aren't a great way to judge a player in my opinion. I've had to do it with McCarron for the most part other than a couple of videos and TV appearances, but not just at the U-18....I've liked him every time I've seen him. You do not just judge these guys on performance....you have to project what you think they'll look like in the pro game in 3-4 years...you study their skating, sense, shot, puck skills, competitiveness..you take into account how much they improve during a season...you look at their size and body type, character. McCarron passes most of the tests.

Does he stickhandle like Drouin? No..but he's 6-5!! He handles the puck pretty well for a big man, has good vision, protects the puck well. Then you look at intangibles. He's strong, huge, tough, will fight, smart in school, good kid, liked by teammates.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
^ Grant, what's your take on McCarron going the OHL route? Do you think he will, and do you think it'd be better for him if he did?

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
I find McCarron is totally overrated...he appears to be a slow Keith Primeau...I wouldn't consider him until our 55th pick or later...not sooner than that!!!

Well Keith Primeau was a 3rd overall pick in a year where the Top 5 all had a case to go 1st and all became excellent NHL players.

So no, he's not going to be as good as Primeau.

Remember, the Habs are picking 25th here. They'd be very fortunate to get an impact NHLer despite the strength of the draft. McCarron seems to be the type that will have an impact, if not offensively, then physically.

clearwater

Nov 16, 2011
Michigan
Hayden is good and I got him in the mock. But McCarron is rated ahead of him because his upside is higher. Hayden might be more safe.

Moutrey had a great sophomore season in the OHL.. but at the

same token.. he's batting 0 for 16 in play-off points. I don't think I'd take him before the 3rd round.

You can't judge him on his play off production. Last year as a rookie they had a lot of veterans and the rookies didn't get many opportunities and this year the were knocked out 4 straight by a much
better team, London Knights.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
^ Grant, what's your take on McCarron going the OHL route? Do you think he will, and do you think it'd be better for him if he did?

Has being tutored by Dale Hunter ever been a bad thing for a player? ;)

Remember how excited we were when Tinordi finally chose to go that route. Hunter could unleash a beast here with McCarron.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
You can't judge him on his play off production. Last year as a rookie they had a lot of veterans and the rookies didn't get many opportunities and this year the were knocked out 4 straight by a much
better team, London Knights.

I'd still like to see him find a way to get onto the score sheet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad