Habs Development Camp (July 2-6) Thread

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
I'm really curious how Brodan Salmond looked out there? He plays in Kelowna but was the backup last year so I didn't get to see him in any game action in the few games I attended. Idk if you guys know this but his dad is Scott Salmond, Hockey Canada’s vice-president of hockey operations and national teams. I have met them both and they are very nice people so I was cheering for Brodan to do well at the dev camp.

Any info on Brodan would be appreciated.

Also, thanks very much for the reports from you guys that attended. I really appreciate the info and will never jump down someones throat for providing 'their opinion' of young players in setting like the dev camp. When we get a high enough volume of reports like these over months or years, a pattern or consensus usually shows up. That consensus of opinions is what I like.

Ah okay..that's why he was invited....;)

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Yup, wasn't he captain of the Ivan Hlinka team and one of the scoring leaders?

yes he was captain of the Ivan Hlinka team and at the U-18's he was 2nd on Team USA in goals with 3 and had 5 pts in 7 games. Here's something I found about his play at Ivan Hlinka,

Poehling is a power forward whose elite skill and strength are bolstered by a strong work ethic and legitimate leadership qualities. He served as team captain, and who better to score the critical game winner than the guy his teammates are leaning on. Poehling is a very good skater with top-end vision and an excellent shot, and the Finns had a tough time slowing him down as he barreled down the wing in complete control. One shift in particular typified the kind of player he is — he hustled, battled and fought for the puck during a lengthy cycle to draw a penalty Team USA eventually scored on. In overtime, his clean breakaway was stopped by Finnish goalie Lasse Lehtinen, but he had the presence of mind to avoid detection to reiceive the centering and and bury the game winner with a pro move and shot right under the crossbar. A wonderful talent who accelerated his schooling to suit up for St. Cloud State in the fall.

http://www.thedraftanalyst.com/2017-nhl-draft/2016-u18-ivan-hlinka-day-1-prospect-notes/

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
yes he was captain of the Ivan Hlinka team and at the U-18's he was 2nd on Team USA in goals with 3 and had 5 pts in 7 games. Here's something I found about his play at Ivan Hlinka,

http://www.thedraftanalyst.com/2017-nhl-draft/2016-u18-ivan-hlinka-day-1-prospect-notes/

yeah I've got a good feeling about him. Size, skating, compete and very likely more skill then what his points shown. Plus he's a C. Safe but with upside is a good way to go in the 1st round imo

Top Corner2

Feb 15, 2003
Visit site
Just to be sure, does anyone know how he pronounces his name?

Po - ling
Pe - ling?

I'm assuming the first, but Americans often pronounce names like these in ways that surprise me.

Maitz

Aug 3, 2006
Montreal
He might be more than a 2C. Looking forward to seeing how he develops this year. Hard to say if he makes the US world junior team as a 18 year old. Personally, I think he does make the team but there are 2 other 18 year old centers who were drafted before him this past draft. (Mittelstadt & Norris). I would assume Keller & Brown would be the favorites to play center for the Americans if one or both don't make the NHL roster. Poehling would have to earn his way on the roster which would be impressive.

He still has a legit chance to make it since Keller might make the Coyote team this year. Personnally I'm not that sold on Norris, I like Poehling's game better. He still can surprise. Could be :

1- Brown
2- Mittelstadt
3- Poehling

Maitz

Aug 3, 2006
Montreal
I hope so since we need one bad.

Any ideas where Ikonen may project as? 1C/2C/3C... winger? :sarcasm:

I really see Ikonen as a boom or bust Top 6 center or winger. I think his game is suited for an offensive center because of his puck possession and vision but could end up as a 2nd RW. I don't know if you guys will agree with me but he looked like a Tyler Johnson type of player.

Last edited:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
he stands a very good chance of making Team USA since his NCAA coach is Team USA's coach, so he's going to get a long look for sure.

I think the probability is high but he will have to earn his spot. The style of game he plays is something all teams like to have on their roster. What is his weakness? Hard to say if you ask me.

Habs might have a few players in the World Juniors this year.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
I think the probability is high but he will have to earn his spot. The style of game he plays is something all teams like to have on their roster. What is his weakness? Hard to say if you ask me.

Habs might have a few players in the World Juniors this year.
He's not much of a shooter nor has one's instincts, so I guess that's a weakness, no? Otherwise he'd be drafted higher.

wildD

Jul 25, 2015
Well just a question is Jake Evans a center or winger? only reason i am asking is bcz at eliteprospects they have him down a a C/RW
ty for info

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
They are just being wilfully blind to his weaknesses. Par for the course.
Poehling doesnt excite me one bit. 5 points at Hlinka? Huh..

Leblanc had the kind of game that no one didn't want. Hard working, hated to lose, etc. McCarron too, I bet. Scherbak is an interesting one, what they've done with him is bizarre but he's had injury problems so he's probably a write-off at this point.

At some point you gotta draft TALENT. I wanted Keller more than anyone two years ago. Today Keller is rated as the best prospect not yet in the NHL. We could've traded up to get him.

Oh well.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Leblanc had the kind of game that no one didn't want. Hard working, hated to lose, etc. McCarron too, I bet. Scherbak is an interesting one, what they've done with him is bizarre but he's had injury problems so he's probably a write-off at this point.

At some point you gotta draft TALENT. I wanted Keller more than anyone two years ago. Today Keller is rated as the best prospect not yet in the NHL. We could've traded up to get him.

Oh well.

Who would you rather want between Drouin and Keller?

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

Oh well.

To be fair, id prefer Drouin over Keller.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
Who would you rather want between Drouin and Keller?

To be fair, id prefer Drouin over Keller.

Obviously Drouin is the established player and Keller isn't, so I'd prefer Drouin. But at the time Keller wasn't even available, I think he was drafted a few spots before Sergachev. Between Serge and Keller I prefer Keller, and between Serge and Drouin I think I prefer Drouin (bird in hand, worth two in bush).

My point is that we should draft for talent, that kind of player who has a nose for net, who only wants to score - that's who we should target. Not self-serious Pacioretty types or responsible blah blah blah types. They've never worked out.

edit: and Drouin isn't known to be either good defensively or professional. Had the Habs drafted the guy, which is unbelievable itself but he's french so probably so, Therrien & Co would've crushed him.

Last edited:

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
Obviously Drouin is the established player and Keller isn't, so I'd prefer Drouin. But at the time Keller wasn't even available, I think he was drafted a few spots before Sergachev. Between Serge and Keller I prefer Keller, and between Serge and Drouin I think I prefer Drouin (bird in hand, worth two in bush).

My point is that we should draft for talent, that kind of player who has a nose for net, who only wants to score - that's who we should target. Not self-serious Pacioretty types or responsible blah blah blah types. They've never worked out.

I agree drafting "responsible" players at 17-18 years old sounds like a waste to me. Go for natural talent first, the rest is teachable.

As for Keller, he was one of the board's favorite at the time. Ended up going 7th, two picks before Sergachev. He had been rising in the rankings all year long, the skills were undeniable.

Grant still told us on this board that he'd never go top 10. Size was a concern, I suppose.

Last edited:

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
I agree drafting "responsible" players at 17-18 years old sounds like a waste to me. Go for natural talent first, the rest is teachable.

As for Keller, he was one of the board's favorite at the time. Ended up going 7th, two picks before Sergachev. He had been rising in the rankings all year long, the skills was undeniable.

Grant still told us on this board that he'd never go top 10. Size was a concern, I suppose.
Yeah, Grant "the expert" :laugh: At the risk of repeating myself, I'll just say nobody should take what he has to say about anything too seriously. There's a reason why there's a team of scouts, because a single scout (and this is a professional one) isn't too reliable in and of themselves. Grant isn't even a professional scout and worked in the NHL for maybe half a season, and part-time... and was fired at the end of the season in a big scouting re-shuffle... 6 or 7 years ago.

Last year he was gunning for McLeod and called us all sheeple for disagreeing, lmao.

Size isn't too much of a concern when the likes of Kane and Gaudreau make it and flat-out dominate.

You can "teach" putting on weight (though it's hard), protecting oneself, balance, etc. You cannot particularly teach that innate talent, the vision to see a play happen (at NHL-speed). The Habs rarely draft for talent and have nobody to teach them puck skills. Freaking Bouillon is leading the development now :laugh: BOUILLON!

Last edited:

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011

Oh well.

''Hate to lose'' is one of those hockey truisms that I've come to despise.

Literally everyone hates to lose. Very few have the talent to bring their team to a win, though.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
''Hate to lose'' is one of those hockey truisms that I've come to despise.

Literally everyone hates to lose. Very few have the talent to bring their team to a win, though.
Well said.

To make it at even the junior level you have to be (1) very skilled and (2) very competitive. It's also that last thing (3) very talented (beyond just skills, IQ, etc.) that allows you to win and make your team win that is the difference maker.

I'm sure this kid is fine and does everything this coaches tell him, but is he a game-breaker who can win games for his team? At the junior level you have to be if you want a chance of it translating to the pro-level. Some get more confident and able to do this but most never gain this ability. You either have it and hone it or you don't.

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
Yeah, Grant "the expert" :laugh: At the risk of repeating myself, I'll just say nobody should take what he has to say about anything too seriously. There's a reason why there's a team of scouts, because a single scout (and this is a professional one) isn't too reliable in and of themselves. Grant isn't even a professional scout and worked in the NHL for maybe half a season, and part-time... and was fired at the end of the season in a big scouting re-shuffle... 6 or 7 years ago.

You're a bit hard on the guy. I enjoy his posts. He can at least make an argument, and he seems to have seen a lot of young talent. This is a better Hf Habs community with him in it and engaged than without him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad