Habs Development Camp (July 2-6) Thread

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I wouldn't put much into how Scherbak or others look from a development camp in July. Scherbak for almost half of last season was 20 years old, was stuck on the 3rd line with Audette for a bulk of the time and yet he still ended up 2nd on the team in assists with 6 more then the next highest in Hudon but in 10 more games. 3rd on the team in points, 4th in goals. He's a very frustrating player to watch and I think Lefebvre has done a poor job with him but he's still highly skilled.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Did you guys that went to the camp noticed Pasichnuk at all, positively or negatively ? I had moderate expectations about him but it doesn't sound like he made a huge impression.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
Sadly I've had very little faith in Scherbak for a while now :(

Scherbie still has the skills. Let's give him time to grow into his lanky frame. As long as he develops the right habits and attitude, he has a good chance to make it. His attitude seems fine. This summer, he'll stay in Montreal to train. I look forward to seeing his development this whole year. At camp he may not yet be used to the weight he'll probably put on. He's a raw talent. Let's let him develop at his pace, as long as he's working. I think he'll figure it out.

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
Thanks for all those reports guys !

Didn't read a lot of Fortier and Goulet, were they noticeable at all or completely forgettable ?

About that 2017 draft, sure seems like a good one :handclap:

jfm133

Nov 6, 2015
God i hate replies like this. Because one failed in the past everyone will fail in the future.

It's not what I meant at all. What I wanted to say is that most of the outcome in the development depends on the player. Gallagher said hello Sly, bye bye Sly in half a year. Lekhonen did well out of Frolunda, Collberg is a bust. Most of the outcome is on the player. Some are just draft busts. Is it so hard to understand? You are picking kids of 17/18 years of age. There is a lot of uncertainty in this process and a good part of luck. You can have an awesome list a given year with just few mistakes in it, but one of the few mistakes will be the player on top of your list when it's your turn to pick. You look like an incompetent, but your team of scouts did a great job. It is very early, but it looks like we would have a great draft this year, but we had five top-90 picks this year and only seven in four years from 2008-2011. Not hard to understand why the farm club struggled after that.

jfm133

Nov 6, 2015
What about Maxime Fortier? Very good numbers in the Q, even without Hischier. Did he show anything?

Top Corner2

Feb 15, 2003
Visit site
Sherback - The best player on the ice. Always dangerous. Great at cutting into the middle. Very nice speed and shot. Seemed very comfortable playing along the boards. BUT **** he almost got his head knocked off again. The kid needs to learn to keep his head up in the neutral zone or it will be the end of him.

Poehling - Big strong center with skill. Great in front of the net and along the boards. I really like this pick. Definitely has offensive instincts just not a dangler.

Mete - Great skill & speed. This kid is a waterbug. He will play in the NHL.

Juulsen - Steady and solid. Great frame. Ready after one season in the AHL. Looks solid solid.

Ikonen - Nice surprise. Good skill and instincts. Very well trained. Definitely a nice pick at 58.

Evans - Best of the rest. Keeps coming all game long. Simple straight game, but keeps making things happen.

Bourque - Very solid and quite skilled, but I doubt he has enough of anything to make the next level unless he overacheives.

That's it for now!

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
Weird how Lapointe praised Scherbak so much to day on the radio but everyone else says he's been half-assing it.

euro

Feb 13, 2013
Weird how Lapointe praised Scherbak so much to day on the radio but everyone else says he's been half-assing it.

From what i saw and read, he did not praise him so much ?

http://www.tsn.ca/radio/montreal-690

And there was the on interview on tva sport where he was telling that scherbak needed more maturity and more mentoring.

http://www.tvasports.ca/2017/07/05/nikita-scherbak-en-quete-de-maturite

"Martin Lapointe, l’un des responsables du développement chez le Canadien, n’a pas caché que Scherbak avait besoin d’un bon encadrement en raison d’un manque de maturité."

I think it is clear that it is not all praised on Scherbak from the organisation and the people here. We all see the elite offensive skills but he is still missing a few things to be a regular Nhler. Only Scherbak can determine what kind of player he will become. And yes Today he was really really good :)

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
Actually, everyone said he was very good today.
Amanda Stein in particular blasted him yesterday. I dunno, I feel a 20 year old doesn't have too much to prove in this camp.

And there was the on interview on tva sport where he was telling that scherbak needed more maturity and more mentoring.

"Martin Lapointe, l’un des responsables du développement chez le Canadien, n’a pas caché que Scherbak avait besoin d’un bon encadrement en raison d’un manque de maturité."

I think it is clear that it is not all praised on Scherbak from the organisation and the people here. We all see the elite offensive skills but he is still missing a few things to be a regular Nhler. Only Scherbak can determine what kind of player he will become. And yes Today he was really really good :)
I saw a tweet from one of the TSN690 guys that was a quote saying Scherbak and McCarron just need to work hard and they'll make it this year. Something like that.

euro

Feb 13, 2013
Ok thanks, like i want to see him suceed, skills like that on a guy with is frame could be insane. But i just cringe when all i hear today is Scherbak and maturity and a few hours after pratice, Scherbak is downtown montreal on a crowded sidewalk on a hoverboard taking video of himself. Come on man :laugh:

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
I saw a tweet from one of the TSN690 guys that was a quote saying Scherbak and McCarron just need to work hard and they'll make it this year. Something like that.

Yup, that sure sounds like something Light Bulb Lapointe would say. Such profound analysis.

CHaracter79

Apr 21, 2014
Ok thanks, like i want to see him suceed, skills like that on a guy with is frame could be insane. But i just cringe when all i hear today is Scherbak and maturity and a few hours after pratice, Scherbak is downtown montreal on a crowded sidewalk on a hoverboard taking video of himself. Come on man :laugh:
He's 21 years old after 4 days of hockey let the kids have fun my god

euro

Feb 13, 2013
Haha yes I know, I am not offended by that, it just makes me laugh. He seems like a good kid that love having fun and that is alright :yo:

euro

Feb 13, 2013
Pasichnuk For the guy that ask was just ok, don't think there is much potential there.

Fortier and goulet work hard,made a few good play during the camp but nothing to stand out, Goulet might stay in Laval and Fortier Back to junior.

CHaracter79

Apr 21, 2014
I was there two of the days

Here's my quick take with NHL projections as their ceiling

Poehling seems legit. Youngest player of the bunch but it didn't show. Big tall very good mobility and seems like he knows exactly where he should b on the ice NHL projection Jordan Stall like player

Ikonen looked like he could probably play in the ahl and put up 60pts as an /8 year old. Fast. Loves to shoot. Good vision and seems like he is older then his passport says. Nhl projection 2C 55-65 point guy

Mete to me looks like he could be a star but I just worry about his size. His offensive game and reading if the plays and the way he transitions are phenomenal. Hopefully a few years in the ahl and he could play as a 4-5 D. NHL potential Tobias enstrom

Juulsen will be s solid NHL defence man in I'm guess... 18 months tops. He could play tomorrow morning and will be better then pateryn ever was. Skating is surprising and hopefully could translate into a top 4 d. NHL projection ... Jake muzzin

Scherbsk is so frustrating. Tons of skill all the tools but the switch is rarely on. If he could one day out it all together he could really be something. Great release. NHL projection... prime jokinen but he such a hit or miss

Another few quick notes that Latvian last named kid from NCAA had a wicked release. I mean very very insane.

Evans looked ok. Bourque looks like a future barberio. Really impressed with fleury surprised he was a late round pick didn't show. Good skating sound positionaly

Waked looks like an extremely better version of Tom pyatt

Fleury Walford and brook were my favorite d men of the bunch. (Mete and juulsen) were the others. look like solid picks

Bitten is s great skater but seems more like a project. 3rd liner at best

Vejdemo... meh. Not sure he'll ever be anything other then a ahler

Take the projections with a grain of salt and feel Free to discuss and comment

Last edited:

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
For those who attended, would you say that the closest comparison for Poeling would be a guy like Ryan Kesler? Both a very good skater playing a solid 200ft game, both looks good at passing the puck at high speed and both are scoring most of their goals at crashing the net..

Top Corner2

Feb 15, 2003
Visit site
For those who attended, would you say that the closest comparison for Poeling would be a guy like Ryan Kesler? Both a very good skater playing a solid 200ft game, both looks good at passing the puck at high speed and both are scoring most of their goals at crashing the net..

No, he doesn't play like Kesler. He is not as wild or urgent and is not as much of a pain in the butt. He reminds me of Getzlaf. I am not at all saying that he projects to be that good, but the way he looks and the style he plays along the boards and in front of the net. Solid and straightforward with deceptive simple skill.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013

I heard Lapointe speak in video. In the video I saw, he wasn't knocking Scherbak when he said different people mature at different rates and Scherbak is still maturing, mentally and physically. He really wasn't knocking, just speaking matter of factly. I'm just glad Scherbak will be in Montreal training with Canadiens' staff. I look forward to seeing what his body looks like next year. Galchenyuk's training last summer was excellent. Hopefully Scherbak's will be too.

Anyone else notice how small Drouin looked at the press conference to welcome him and sign his new contract. He's another one that needs to train hard in the summer.

GREMLIN

Tanking enthusiast
Sep 19, 2013
Good report CHaracter, I agree with pretty much all of it.

No, he doesn't play like Kesler. He is not as wild or urgent and is not as much of a pain in the butt. He reminds me of Getzlaf. I am not at all saying that he projects to be that good, but the way he looks and the style he plays along the boards and in front of the net. Solid and straightforward with deceptive simple skill.

From what I saw, nowhere near as gritty, less of a shooter than Kesler, pass first.

Tim Raines

Oct 26, 2015

I forget the exact quote, but Lapointe said Scherbak and McCarron are knocking on the door and the opportunity is there for them to come in and win a job.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad