Habs Development Camp (July 2-6) Thread

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I think the probability is high but he will have to earn his spot. The style of game he plays is something all teams like to have on their roster. What is his weakness? Hard to say if you ask me.

Habs might have a few players in the World Juniors this year.

I haven't seen him in the NCAA yet so I can't say but even if I did, it can be very hard to get a good read on 17 year olds in the NCAA as you just don't see it very often. Next year I will get to see a good bit of him and at least as an 18 year old it's more common.

Well just a question is Jake Evans a center or winger? only reason i am asking is bcz at eliteprospects they have him down a a C/RW
ty for info

Center. He was one of the face-off leaders in the NCAA all year, was 2nd up to the end of the season but never saw if that's where he finished or not.

paddy

Aug 2, 2005
Agree or not, I think the 3 most important things to look for in a prospect are:
1 - Hockey sense (IQ/Vision/Awareness/Positionning)
2 - Balance/lower-body strength
3 - Puck protection (shielding, lateral torso twist)

Of course, those 3 are essential but not sufficient.

You need some puck skills, a decent shot, and at least average speed.

Between a prospect with great skills and slightly above average skills, I'd look at those 3 things and pick the prospect based on those instead of pure skill.

So many prospects with great talent/skill fail because of poor hockey sense. Skill gets you by in junior... Not so much in the nhl.

get25

Oct 17, 2015
This guy was really great in WJC U-18. We should have invited him.
Agree or not, I think the 3 most important things to look for in a prospect are:
1 - Hockey sense (IQ/Vision/Awareness/Positionning)
2 - Balance/lower-body strength
3 - Puck protection (shielding, lateral torso twist)

Of course, those 3 are essential but not sufficient.

You need some puck skills, a decent shot, and at least average speed.

Between a prospect with great skills and slightly above average skills, I'd look at those 3 things and pick the prospect based on those instead of pure skill.

So many prospects with great talent/skill fail because of poor hockey sense. Skill gets you by in junior... Not so much in the nhl.
He has everything you are looking for.

Just waiting.;)

Frustrated Mittens

Feb 21, 2015
I was at the scrimmage on Tuesday and Joni Ikonen was quite impressive. Poehling stood out as well as Juulsen, Lukosevicius, and Vejdemo. Nice to see young upcoming C's with good puck possession.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
I was at the scrimmage on Tuesday and Joni Ikonen was quite impressive. Poehling stood out as well as Juulsen, Lukosevicius, and Vejdemo. Nice to see young upcoming C's with good puck possession.

Good to hear. I keep hearing about this Ikonen kid and want to get excited, but I'm too afraid of having my poor heart broken again...

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
You're a bit hard on the guy. I enjoy his posts. He can at least make an argument, and he seems to have seen a lot of young talent. This is a better Hf Habs community with him in it and engaged than without him.

Grant and Montreal are the two best posters on here by a mile.

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
Grant and Montreal are the two best posters on here by a mile.

My vision of this community is to encourage contributions from the net-positive posters. I have no interest in trolls or confrontational posters who want to be proven right at all costs, and I am characteristically quick on the ignore button, although I generally try to be magnanimous. That said, Grant and Montreal are two in particular that I will never have on ignore. They are both consistently entertaining, as is W7, in his gruff, sandpapery manner.

angry pirate

Feb 9, 2009
''Hate to lose'' is one of those hockey truisms that I've come to despise.

Literally everyone hates to lose. Very few have the talent to bring their team to a win, though.

I just can't agree that everyone hates to lose, especially at the pro level, but most certainly across junior ranks also. And it goes across all sports.

Look at Nick Kyrgios and Bernard Tomic is tennis as very recent examples. Both those guys don't seem to care if they win or lose. Show up, get paid. Live a playboy lifestyle. There are certainly those players in hockey too. I don't want to sound like I'm insulting him, as there is so much more to life than hockey, but I think it's a fair question to ask if Shane Doan hates to lose, and he's by all accounts an incredible human being.

So I certainly think that "hating to lose" is a trait that is out there, and it's very likely that some teams and scouts value it highly.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
While watching the SCSU game last night, one of the invites to the development camp, Jimmy Schuldt had a big night and while very early he's off to a huge start with 5 pts in 2 games. He's got a big point shot so might be someone for the Habs to keep an eye on.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
While watching the SCSU game last night, one of the invites to the development camp, Jimmy Schuldt had a big night and while very early he's off to a huge start with 5 pts in 2 games. He's got a big point shot so might be someone for the Habs to keep an eye on.
Do we have his rights?

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Do we have his rights?

no, he was an invite, an undrafted FA. His teammate who was also an invite to the development camp, Robby Jackson scored 2 goals that both were off a really sick wrist shot. The two invites are 1 and 2 in team scoring with Poehling tied for 3rd. So maybe since the Habs invited them to the last camp, if things continue to go well this year they will look to bring them to camp again and maybe sign them. can't hurt to have some of Poehling's teammates in the AHL for when he turns pro if they warrant it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad