Habs Development Camp (July 2-6) Thread

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
What about Maxime Fortier? Very good numbers in the Q, even without Hischier. Did he show anything?

I watched a lot of Moosehead games. I think Fortier has very good speed and skating but he scores a lot of his goals within 10' of the net. Not sure he is able to do this with more consistent defenseman in the AHL. If he has more size, he would be deadly! He needs to bulk up a lot if he is going to make it. His offensive skills and skating are very good though.

He is the type to capitalize on weaker, less talented, and less experienced opponents. This is why he went un-drafted (as well as his size).

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Amanda Stein in particular blasted him yesterday. I dunno, I feel a 20 year old doesn't have too much to prove in this camp.

I saw a tweet from one of the TSN690 guys that was a quote saying Scherbak and McCarron just need to work hard and they'll make it this year. Something like that.

It was McCarron and Hudon....at least that's what Lapointe said. Said that they're right there, just need to seize the opportunity.

In the case of Scherbak, Lapointe mentioned he needs to get stronger, better away from the puck. Thinks he has all the tools (physique, talent, vision)

He loves Poelhing, says he has all the tools, a sure bonafide NHLer as long as he's committed, which it seems he is, he will play for the habs.

It's actually a very good interview and I found him very candid, didn't sugar coat much.

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
Thanks to all the guys who took the time to write those great reports. Very appreciated.

Very happy to hear that pretty much all the 2017 draft picks looked good. I have a feeling that this will end up being a very good draft for us. Ikonen and Poehling are obviously very interesting but I will enjoy following the progress of the 3 WHL defensemen that were selected as I think they all have pretty good upside, especially Josh Brook. Can't wait to see them this fall!

Tim Raines

Oct 26, 2015
Nice... that's great!

Found the exact tweet here (sorry for the poor paste job):

Rod Francis‏
@InRodWeTrustMTL

Martin Lapointe on w us: wants McCarron and Scherbak "theyre knocking on the door...seize the opportunity...and make it happen" #tsn690

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
The SHL season starts mid September so its only logical that Ikonen wouldn't be available for our camp. Winning a spot on the main roster in Frolunda takes priority over anything he has to do here at the moment.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
No, he doesn't play like Kesler. He is not as wild or urgent and is not as much of a pain in the butt. He reminds me of Getzlaf. I am not at all saying that he projects to be that good, but the way he looks and the style he plays along the boards and in front of the net. Solid and straightforward with deceptive simple skill.

Interesting, I can see the style comp. Though he's not as big as Getzlaf.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I have faith in poehling, he will be a 2C

He might be more than a 2C. Looking forward to seeing how he develops this year. Hard to say if he makes the US world junior team as a 18 year old. Personally, I think he does make the team but there are 2 other 18 year old centers who were drafted before him this past draft. (Mittelstadt & Norris). I would assume Keller & Brown would be the favorites to play center for the Americans if one or both don't make the NHL roster. Poehling would have to earn his way on the roster which would be impressive.

Mercury10

Feb 9, 2012
Vernon, BC
I'm really curious how Brodan Salmond looked out there? He plays in Kelowna but was the backup last year so I didn't get to see him in any game action in the few games I attended. Idk if you guys know this but his dad is Scott Salmond, Hockey Canada’s vice-president of hockey operations and national teams. I have met them both and they are very nice people so I was cheering for Brodan to do well at the dev camp.

Any info on Brodan would be appreciated.

Also, thanks very much for the reports from you guys that attended. I really appreciate the info and will never jump down someones throat for providing 'their opinion' of young players in setting like the dev camp. When we get a high enough volume of reports like these over months or years, a pattern or consensus usually shows up. That consensus of opinions is what I like.

VinceHabs

Aug 2, 2015
Montréal
Thanks to all the guys who took the time to write those great reports. Very appreciated.

Very happy to hear that pretty much all the 2017 draft picks looked good. I have a feeling that this will end up being a very good draft for us. Ikonen and Poehling are obviously very interesting but I will enjoy following the progress of the 3 WHL defensemen that were selected as I think they all have pretty good upside, especially Josh Brook. Can't wait to see them this fall!

No love for Jarret Tyszka?

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
He might be more than a 2C. Looking forward to seeing how he develops this year. Hard to say if he makes the US world junior team as a 18 year old. Personally, I think he does make the team but there are 2 other 18 year old centers who were drafted before him this past draft. (Mittelstadt & Norris). I would assume Keller & Brown would be the favorites to play center for the Americans if one or both don't make the NHL roster. Poehling would have to earn his way on the roster which would be impressive.

he stands a very good chance of making Team USA since his NCAA coach is Team USA's coach, so he's going to get a long look for sure.

Top Corner2

Feb 15, 2003
Visit site
I'm really curious how Brodan Salmond looked out there? He plays in Kelowna but was the backup last year so I didn't get to see him in any game action in the few games I attended. Idk if you guys know this but his dad is Scott Salmond, Hockey Canada’s vice-president of hockey operations and national teams. I have met them both and they are very nice people so I was cheering for Brodan to do well at the dev camp.

Any info on Brodan would be appreciated.

Also, thanks very much for the reports from you guys that attended. I really appreciate the info and will never jump down someones throat for providing 'their opinion' of young players in setting like the dev camp. When we get a high enough volume of reports like these over months or years, a pattern or consensus usually shows up. That consensus of opinions is what I like.

Well I only saw the last game, so take this with a grain of salt.

To my eyes he was the shakiest of the 4 goalies. Seemed way behind the two older guys (which is understandable as they are both very good prospects at this point) and a ways behind Primeau also.

Goalies develop differently and take a lot longer so there is definitely still hope. Even to get an invite to this type of camp is a big deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad