Post-Game Talk: Habs blow lead. Lose 6-3 to Leafs

Status
Not open for further replies.

The90

Feb 27, 2017
Young player with a plethora of talent is JD#92 only a matter of time before he figures it all out. Then he will have his detractors eating their words, if they are honest with themselves.:clap::clap::clap:
He’s been the same lazy / defense is optional / highly skilled player since junior. Just now he doesn’t get away with being more skilled than everyone

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
So, we should be selling instead of buying is what you are saying. It's too bad that this team came out of the gate with something to prove and the coaching staff has really done a very good job with a limited roster. When we play teams at or below our talent level we look good but against top 10 teams we simply do not have the horses and try and make up for it with hard work like we did last night. I feel that we need two top 6 forwards(one being an elite number one centre) and a first pairing partner for an aging Weber. You bring up an interesting point about development and the time that elapses in the process. If we were able to get these pieces through free agency or trades we would not need to wait as long but then we give up young assets and draft picks and go for it now like Columbus and there is no guarantee in that either. Are we stuck in the no mans land?

No, nuance my friend, we're stuck in the Molson Limbo(tm)

I think both sides (tank or win) are stuck crossing their fingers and hoping for the best of the strategy they think is best suited for the team.

Yes, I think we should sell at least one major piece this year, but know full well it won't happen. Pragmatism is value dependant. Molson's main overriding value is playoff profit and they are pragmatic in that sense, i just don't believe it's the right path, nor do I believe the person in place is best suited to one of the hardest tasks in hockey of trying to make a contender out of a middler.

Thing is though, and ive been saying this for a while and when it'll happen, i know the usual crowd will berate me by telling me that it's easy to predict doom, but that's not the point. It's about the very nature of the components of the team I see in front of me. Most will agree that the coaching staff has a lot of merits in what is happening, but I have high doubts this can be maintained without additions.

If we sign an elite player, fine, no need to tank anymore, we'll be close to what we were pre-2016 and with better prospects coming up, but I hope no one will be holding their breath over this possibility.

But without any elite additions, I think the coaches will eventually lose some of the players, things will become more dysfunctional and lack of talent will be displayed and we'll draft high at least one more year before we really start to take off.

The90

Feb 27, 2017
While watching the game last night we were asking.

The leafs added Tavares, Kapenen, Muzzin ans Johnson.

Are they playing any better than they were last season? If so ...its extremely marginal.
Kapanen played on the team last year. As did johnsson just assuming bigger roles this year. And you’re going to tell me getting tavares doesn’t make a team better? They haven’t played well the last month and a half. Yet, They’ve still beaten every (I think) top team in the league and hold a playoff spot. They play to the level of their competition and have lost a TON of points to the low hanging fruits of the league and have beaten Tampa, Winnipeg x2, Nashville, Vegas, Boston SJ.... when they play to their capabilities, they’re a very good team. At this point inconsistency has been the biggest issue

Reactions: david999

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Funny how certain posters i notice here only post after losses. This is a strange board. And some posters still want the Habs to lose ? Wth is up with that ?
Is this your first time on a message board of any kind or is this burner account brand new :laugh:? Go over to the leafs board and read part one of last nights GDT. Read their messages right up until it was 3-0 for us. I notice that you just recently joined and I am wondering how many losses you have been here for? Some people have been here for 20 years and have witnessed hundreds of losses, this place might not be for you, it's not usually a safe space Bub .:laugh:

Last edited:
Reactions: PaulD

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Is this your first time on a message board of any kind or is this burner account brand new :laugh:? Go over to the leafs board and read part one of last nights GDT. Read their messages right up until it was 3-0 for us. I notice that you just recently joined and I am wondering how many losses you have been here for? Some people have been here for 20 years and have witnessed hundreds of losses, this place might not be for you, it's not usually a safe space.:laugh:

You should've ended that with a 'Bub' :sarcasm:

Reactions: OldCraig71

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
After taking time for this game to soak in and from reading some of the earlier pages of the PGT a few points hit me.

- It was no doubt an embarrassing lost and is inexcusable as all the Habs needed to do was get a 4th goal and failed to do that despite having 2 periods to do so. That said, the Leafs are simply a more talented team and rightly so considering they are supposed to be contending and we aren't event suppose to be anywhere near them. When we don't have an effective PP, are taking penalties and making soft plays then we are going to lose to talented teams. That shouldn't be looked upon in a negative way on the state of the team itself, it's just reality.

- Responding to posts that are already proclaiming that we won't be making the playoffs: Don't discount this team yet and give them a chance before proclaiming the end is near, they have surprised expectations all year and outside of a few rough stretches they have proved that they can hang in with top teams when they play smart. They may not make the playoffs as its a normal reality for a bubble team like us but considering how we were supposed to be gunning for the basement and the fight this team has showed, they earned some patience from us before proclaiming the season is finished. If they keep slumping come mid March then bust out the pitchforks and prepare for a long summer but right now we are still in the midst of a fight

-To those who blamed Price for not stepping up and "earning his 10.5 million", I don't know how a rational individual looks at the goals he allowed and can blame Price fully on all of them. The Matthews one is the only one you could blame him but Matthews has one of the most deceptive shots in the league, the 2nd Leafs goal came from a great cross crease pass, the Nylander goal was a bad bounce and the Hyman goal was because of poor defensive coverage following a foolish turnover. The team lost the game not Price.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
That last sentence is completely wrong and you know it.

Lottery odds are based on pure numbers, it's completely objective. Cup odds are subjective, but even with subjectivity, one can objectively say that we do not have the same 6.25% odds (100% divided by equal 16, how ridiculous) of winning the cup as some of the other teams have. As if they all start the playoffs with the same odds.

So Natey, Tampa have the same odds as us to win the cup?

Stop being purposefuly obtuse.
Same odds? Yes. Same realistic shot? No.

But... that's the same with the draft lottery. Stop being purposefully obtuse.

Jul 6, 2016
Habs have still very good opportunities to make the Playoffs. They might lose vs highly skilled teams, like the leafs and TB , but they gonna win vs teams of their caliber and worst. All they need is 13-14 points until the end of the season.

I am not too worry. But they had to fix their shitty PP for sure.

Reactions: Habs4Life

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Kapanen played on the team last year. As did johnsson just assuming bigger roles this year. And you’re going to tell me getting tavares doesn’t make a team better? They haven’t played well the last month and a half. Yet, They’ve still beaten every (I think) top team in the league and hold a playoff spot. They play to the level of their competition and have lost a TON of points to the low hanging fruits of the league and have beaten Tampa, Winnipeg x2, Nashville, Vegas, Boston SJ.... when they play to their capabilities, they’re a very good team. At this point inconsistency has been the biggest issue

I didnt "tell you anything" I asked are they better? If so, marginally. Its a topic worth bringing up. Fan 590 did an entire morning show on it.

Yes adding Tavares would make a team far better. But check their record compared to last year. Its worth debating

and if they go out to The Bruins in the first round again. "Better" aint doing any better.

Last edited:

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Same odds? Yes. Same realistic shot? No.

But... that's the same with the draft lottery. Stop being purposefully obtuse.

Semantic sophistry, you're just being further obtuse.

I'd suggest you go look at the Cup betting ODDS

Funny how they don't call it "betting on realistic shots" but rather brtting on odds.

How odd is that :dunce:

At this point, you're becoming extremely childish, just not wanting to conceed the obvious fact that most betting experts put the Habs's odds very low compared to almost all other teams in playoff contention.

Censored Toad

Most Records Shattered as GM of the Habs!
Aug 8, 2016
Young player with a plethora of talent is JD#92 only a matter of time before he figures it all out. Then he will have his detractors eating their words, if they are honest with themselves.:clap::clap::clap:

if he proves me wrong , i will gladly accept crow pie with a side of "toldyaso"

Reactions: calder candidate

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Semantic sophistry, you're just being further obtuse.

I'd suggest you go look at the Cup betting ODDS

Funny how they don't call it "betting on realistic shots" but rather brtting on odds.

How odd is that :dunce:

At this point, you're becoming extremely childish, just not wanting to conceed the obvious fact that most betting experts put the Habs's odds very low compared to almost all other teams in playoff contention.
Okay, and I bet you the draft lottery betting odds would be FAR worse than the actual odds as well.

Or am I wrong?

No, I'm right. And you're just being asinine.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Gotta go to work now and deal with Leafs fans..

Take this with you.

voodoo-doll-toronto-maple-leafs.gif

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Okay, and I bet you the draft lottery betting odds would be FAR worse than the actual odds as well.

Or am I wrong?

No, I'm right. And you're just being asinine.

No they wouldn't. They are based on pure numbers. Do you even understand the difference between subjective and objective odds??

There's no subjective odds when it comes to the draft lottery.

There's no objective odds when it comes to assessing a team's cup winning odds.

CalgarySnow

Oct 21, 2017
FWIW my take was that we were told to defend our 3-0 lead instead of going for more goals and as we all know our defending skills are not our best and TML are not a SC contender. No way they come back from being 3-0 down against Boston or Tampa.

Had to be the game where I can’t drink as I definitely needed wine last night just watching.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Powerplay looked better without him on it last night.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Yes,Price should have stopped the Matthews goal when you are the underdog team your goalie has to be the difference maker,Price let a bad goal in to Nylander last game.
Anderson was not exactly stellar either. Tatar and Petry he had a great look at, unscreened..... they walked in beat him glove side no problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad