Post-Game Talk: Habs blow lead. Lose 6-3 to Leafs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I might be considered old school for what I am about to say. I am not a fan of cocky behavior at any point and time from hockey players, I like to see respect for the opponent, sports are unprdictable and things can always go either way, be humble but be strong and respect your opponent. We don't need a Brad Marchand clone here.

I'll take the Brad Marchand clone every day of the week, provided he also produces like the Brad Marchand clone. Basically, walk the walk.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Again never said I would move Domi to the wing right now, clearly we are are a better with him at center. KK isn’t ready for #1 duty and we don’t have other NHL center. We are pretty deep on the wing but we don’t have a lot of top end talent and most of are winger have spend time on the opposite wing so if you can’t play Domi on the RW you could move one of Drouin or Tatar.

But again your argument actually prove my point Philly moved Giroux he was a 70+pts center, Are all the other center better than Giroux, No. You play the player where he is the most useful to the team, to get the best lineup, the gain from Giroux to the wing was bigger than is lost at center. Right now Domi is best at center but if KK keep improving, a prospect like Poehling plays is way in the top 9 or we sign a guy like Duchene (Don’t think we should) but if something like that happen than moving Domi is probably our best option. Since moving Domi make more sense than moving KK Danault or any other that would insert at center kind a like Philly.
The big problem with your belief is that we do NOT have an upcoming Couturier or Patrick in our system.

If we get a better center I'm obviously 100% for it, but we wont get a better center. In 25 years weve seen two centers that are better/equal to Domi (Plek and Koivu.) It's unlikely and ridiculous to even suggest.

Reactions: mariolemieux66

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Yes, if they have a short Po run it will lead to a lot of pressure/criticism...

And why? I would argue it's precisely because they are heavy favorites to contend for a cup... Fans, media, Vegas odds-makers (whose only bias is to make money on the odds they put out)... All can see that their current roster clearly positions them as a top contender.
I don't see how the fan/media pressure is a measure of how good they are. If fan/media expectation equalled contender, the crazy Montreal media would've made the Habs elite for years. Toronto and Montreal fans are both nuts; it reflects on us, not our teams. Vegas odds don't mean much either -- they just counterbalance popularity, not quality. More Leafs fans are betting on their team so Vegas gives that bet a less attractive payoff.

Leafs are a good team that have been inflated beyond their value by relentless marketing. And like any well-marketed product, people start believing hype over the reality. Calgary, NYI, SJ, Winnipeg, Boston, Nashville -- those teams are better by every measure yet don't take up nearly as much media time & space as Toronto. It doesn't make the Leafs better, it just makes them louder.

Yeah, I admit I'm sick of hearing about them. At this point, the Leafs have become the NHL's version of the Kardashians. Screw 'em and their pitiable cries for attention.

Last edited:

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
The Big Bird was something else. I had a poster of him with both feet off the ice while checking a player into the glass, I loved him. He was also not scared of anyone either, that man could defend himself, a pure gem.
H00082_eee3231-savard-lapointe-robinson-smythe_web_grande.jpg

I added this to cheer myself up after last nights collapse, go easy on me. The big three!
Man... we are so damn lucky to have firsthand memories of these guys. I started watching hockey when Savard was just starting out and Robinson remains my all-time favourite defenseman. Larry did everything.

Reactions: OldCraig71

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Thats insulting to Larry by quite a bit, he's probably the best defensive Dman the world has seen, or if he's not, he's in the top 5.
As I said above, no one could be a bigger fan of Robinson than me. But it's true that Petry resembles him now and then. When he's on, he's got a similar gallop/glide with the puck, along with the strength to plow through the opposition. The difference, obviously, is Petry's lesser degree of dominance and control, and his more frequent mistakes. Still an excellent dman. Funny -- I've always defended Petry, but only now realized that he reminds me a bit of my all time favourite, Robinson.

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
The big problem with your belief is that we do NOT have an upcoming Couturier or Patrick in our system.

If we get a better center I'm obviously 100% for it, but we wont get a better center. In 25 years weve seen two centers that are better/equal to Domi (Plek and Koivu.) It's unlikely and ridiculous to even suggest.

The flaw with your argument is that neither Patrick or Coutier are better than Giroux and they still move him, (Couturier production wouldn’t be the same if he didn’t have a guy like Giroux on is wing) Domi is being shielded by Danault by the coach , Domi isn’t winning most of is face off and isn’t great defensively ( he is trying vs. other option we had in the past). We have KK coming up we have Danault (who is currently our #1 center or at least sharing the duty), they being move to the wing doesn’t move the needle positively... if we can get someone to play #3C I think it is good enough to make moving Domi to the wing worth it (it would be even better to get a #2C but like you said that is very unlikely)...
What I think is ridiculous is thinking that because Domi is putting up points it make him a great center or that moving him to the wing on the top line would kill all is offensive production.
I guess We both agree the he should be playing center right now, but we disagree on our indespensible he is a center.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Subban doesn't look like he would have lead us anywhere right now and he's not much younger, and Sergachev is a wash. Drouin is very young and very talented calling him **** is moronic.
Drouin is garbage as far as being drafted 3rd overall. Pure headcase who won’t last in Montreal.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Yeah, the Habs need more talent in general, but blowing a 3-goal lead and taking stupid penalties is a lack of experience.
Is it? Experienced teams never blow up leads or take stupid penalties?
The Leafs turned it up. They can half ass game and come out on top. That's what happened.

UVMCats

Feb 16, 2019
Is this your first time on a message board of any kind or is this burner account brand new :laugh:? Go over to the leafs board and read part one of last nights GDT. Read their messages right up until it was 3-0 for us. I notice that you just recently joined and I am wondering how many losses you have been here for? Some people have been here for 20 years and have witnessed hundreds of losses, this place might not be for you, it's not usually a safe space Bub .:laugh:

Are you always this mature ?

Reactions: OldCraig71

habergeon

Apr 15, 2015
Historical odds of winning cup at our position (or worst)

1 in 40

Odds for the draft lottery of getting a top 3 pick by the 17th place in the standings

1 in 30

Which is exactly where you don’t want to be.

BUT....The question is, do you think this team is trending upwards? If so it’s a necessary step to be in the middle at some point, imho. I think they are, so I’m not worried either way.

We blew a tire in the third, no question about it. Being against the Leafs on a Saturday night doesn’t help.

But I’m more concerned with Mike Reilly getting top 4 minutes and our non-existent pp than anything I saw Saturday.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Is it? Experienced teams never blow up leads or take stupid penalties?
The Leafs turned it up. They can half ass game and come out on top. That's what happened.
Sure, experienced teams also screw up, but much less than inexperienced teams. That's the value of experience.

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
Is this your first time on a message board of any kind or is this burner account brand new :laugh:? Go over to the leafs board and read part one of last nights GDT. Read their messages right up until it was 3-0 for us. I notice that you just recently joined and I am wondering how many losses you have been here for? Some people have been here for 20 years and have witnessed hundreds of losses, this place might not be for you, it's not usually a safe space Bub .:laugh:

To be fair, people who complain want to keep this board that way and those that are too positive also do. The negative nancies are just as moany when they can't voice their cynicism anymore.

After taking time for this game to soak in and from reading some of the earlier pages of the PGT a few points hit me.

- It was no doubt an embarrassing lost and is inexcusable as all the Habs needed to do was get a 4th goal and failed to do that despite having 2 periods to do so. That said, the Leafs are simply a more talented team and rightly so considering they are supposed to be contending and we aren't event suppose to be anywhere near them. When we don't have an effective PP, are taking penalties and making soft plays then we are going to lose to talented teams. That shouldn't be looked upon in a negative way on the state of the team itself, it's just reality.

- Responding to posts that are already proclaiming that we won't be making the playoffs: Don't discount this team yet and give them a chance before proclaiming the end is near, they have surprised expectations all year and outside of a few rough stretches they have proved that they can hang in with top teams when they play smart. They may not make the playoffs as its a normal reality for a bubble team like us but considering how we were supposed to be gunning for the basement and the fight this team has showed, they earned some patience from us before proclaiming the season is finished. If they keep slumping come mid March then bust out the pitchforks and prepare for a long summer but right now we are still in the midst of a fight

-To those who blamed Price for not stepping up and "earning his 10.5 million", I don't know how a rational individual looks at the goals he allowed and can blame Price fully on all of them. The Matthews one is the only one you could blame him but Matthews has one of the most deceptive shots in the league, the 2nd Leafs goal came from a great cross crease pass, the Nylander goal was a bad bounce and the Hyman goal was because of poor defensive coverage following a foolish turnover. The team lost the game not Price.

I'm not blaming the game on Price, but he didn't show up when we needed him most. He was excellent in the first and then the wheels fell off for the whole team. The team lost the game, which includes Price. At some point either Weber, Price or one of the forwards needed to be more present than they were.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
To be fair, people who complain want to keep this board that way and those that are too positive also do. The negative nancies are just as moany when they can't voice their cynicism anymore.

Why feel the need to label posters as if they only have one identity? "Negative nancies", "haters", "Bergevites", "pom pom cheerleaders" etc. are just garbage depictions that do nothing to advance discussions but only create unnecessary rifts.

Is it fair to dub you as one-dimensional cause you happen to sympathize with Bergevin? Cause that's exactly what you're doing to others with your condescending epithet.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Sure, experienced teams also screw up, but much less than inexperienced teams. That's the value of experience.
Talent trumps all. I think the 3 games vs the Leafs this year have proven that quite well. Everytime we play them they seem to half ass their effort and still come out on top.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares

I'm not blaming the game on Price, but he didn't show up when we needed him most. He was excellent in the first and then the wheels fell off for the whole team. The team lost the game, which includes Price. At some point either Weber, Price or one of the forwards needed to be more present than they were.

Did you read the post I responded to? A brand new account being critical of posters that in some cases have been here since the beginning right after a terrible loss. A loss that highlighted many flaws with the team and it's just a coincidence?

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
Why feel the need to label posters as if they only have one identity? "Negative nancies", "haters", "Bergevites", "pom pom cheerleaders" etc. are just garbage depictions that do nothing to advance discussions but only create unnecessary rifts.

Is it fair to dub you as one-dimensional cause you happen to sympathize with Bergevin? Cause that's exactly what you're doing to others with your condescending epithet.

Pish posh I don't empathize with Bergevin I'm just calling it how it is. Let's not get back into this please. One person's bergivinite is another person's negative nancy.

Did you read the post I responded to? A brand new account being critical of posters that in some cases have been here since the beginning right after a terrible loss. A loss that highlighted many flaws with the team and it's just a coincidence?

I don't think length of time on a forum is really demonstrative of anything when it comes to the content of the posts. In any case the mercurial nature of the forum shocks some people, and some people deny it. But it's there.

Reactions: UVMCats

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
Subban doesn't look like he would have lead us anywhere right now and he's not much younger, and Sergachev is a wash. Drouin is very young and very talented calling him **** is moronic.
You know that excuse is laughable. "Oh welp Oilers are about to miss the playoffs for a second straight year, looks like McDavid can't lead them anywhere!"

Drouin is skilled. His decision-making at the next level has been questionable at best, whether he's really talented is still up in the air.

Last edited:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Pish posh I don't empathize with Bergevin I'm just calling it how it is. Let's not get back into this please. One person's bergivinite is another person's negative nancy.

Nice dodge. Some habits die hard. Keep creating false equivalencies as an excuse to wield condescending epithets. You're fooling no one.

Reactions: Censored Toad

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
I don't see how the fan/media pressure is a measure of how good they are. If fan/media expectation equalled contender, the crazy Montreal media would've made the Habs elite for years. Toronto and Montreal fans are both nuts; it reflects on us, not our teams. Vegas odds don't mean much either -- they just counterbalance popularity, not quality. More Leafs fans are betting on their team so Vegas gives that bet a less attractive payoff.

Leafs are a good team that have been inflated beyond their value by relentless marketing. And like any well-marketed product, people start believing hype over the reality. Calgary, NYI, SJ, Winnipeg, Boston, Nashville -- those teams are better by every measure yet don't take up nearly as much media time & space as Toronto. It doesn't make the Leafs better, it just makes them louder.

Yeah, I admit I'm sick of hearing about them. At this point, the Leafs have become the NHL's version of the Kardashians. Screw 'em and their pitiable cries for attention.

Hey, I get the emotional side of it... I hate the laffs to my core, and it makes me sick watching how well their franchise has been run under Shanny.

But strip away the emotion, and what's left is a top 3-5 roster in the league, where most of the top talent is 25&under... Only hope is that they screw up their cap management and/or choke in several consecutive PO's... But that's different than denying how talented that roster is & downplaying how well set up they are to contend now & for the next few seasons at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad