Post-Game Talk: Habs blow lead. Lose 6-3 to Leafs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum93

Feb 16, 2015
Humiliating and demoralizing loss, Habs had plenty of opportunity to blow the game wide open. No excuses after being up 3-zip after 20 minutes.

Reactions: PaulD

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Talent trumps all. I think the 3 games vs the Leafs this year have proven that quite well. Everytime we play them they seem to half ass their effort and still come out on top.
No team half-asses effort. The Leafs didn't; neither did the Habs in the 3rd. What we saw was the basic flaws of both teams. Leafs have a weak defensive structure and mediocre players on the back end, which is why they have erratic games like that where they lose control. It's why despite a top offence Toronto remains behind a bunch of teams that don't look as good 'on paper'. It's not an illusion -- other teams are more solid back to front and are better overall.

Habs didn't half-ass either. Too many of their young guys got flustered and lost their focus. Too much adrenaline, too little confidence, poor decisions -- hopefully they'll mature past those mistakes. Plus, of course, they can't finish their chances, which is the ongoing problem the Habs have had for years. We buzz around the net, come thisclose a dozen times, but end up with zero goals. We had the chances to put this away, but we lacked the shooting skill.

Giving less than 100% effort -- actually half-assing it -- would be the worst flaw of all. That's what I think has infected Anaheim's locker room and screwed up the Habs last year and in 2016.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Hey, I get the emotional side of it... I hate the laffs to my core, and it makes me sick watching how well their franchise has been run under Shanny.

But strip away the emotion, and what's left is a top 3-5 roster in the league, where most of the top talent is 25&under... Only hope is that they screw up their cap management and/or choke in several consecutive PO's... But that's different than denying how talented that roster is & downplaying how well set up they are to contend now & for the next few seasons at least.
Yeah... I admit their team gets me worked up. I'd actually sympathize with over 50 years of failure, but some of their fans act like 14 year olds who just discovered beer. That and the tabloid-worthy media pandering makes them the most dislikable team in the league, by far. Geez, the Leafs' potent stink has driven most of this board to cheering for the frikkin Bruins!

...now I've totally forgot my point. But the rant felt good.

Reactions: Miller Time

ziggy46

Oct 15, 2006
This season is a blessing.
If Gally tucked that mini breakaway to go up 4-0 in or Domi taps in that puck that Andersen makes a couple of keys saves on to make it 4-1, the game was over.
Credit the home team in coming back. I’v got no problem with that.
Talk about third period collapses? All on the road, and we were not run out of building in any of them.
We’re fine where we are, and that is battling all the way down. and guess what – the way the division is structured to get home advantage, almost all the teams above us have to play every single game out as well.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
No team half-asses effort. The Leafs didn't; neither did the Habs in the 3rd. What we saw was the basic flaws of both teams. Leafs have a weak defensive structure and mediocre players on the back end, which is why they have erratic games like that where they lose control. It's why despite a top offence Toronto remains behind a bunch of teams that don't look as good 'on paper'. It's not an illusion -- other teams are more solid back to front and are better overall.

Habs didn't half-ass either. Too many of their young guys got flustered and lost their focus. Too much adrenaline, too little confidence, poor decisions -- hopefully they'll mature past those mistakes. Plus, of course, they can't finish their chances, which is the ongoing problem the Habs have had for years. We buzz around the net, come thisclose a dozen times, but end up with zero goals. We had the chances to put this away, but we lacked the shooting skill.

Giving less than 100% effort -- actually half-assing it -- would be the worst flaw of all. That's what I think has infected Anaheim's locker room and screwed up the Habs last year and in 2016.
Maybe so. Fact still remains. The leafs played poorly ...yet beat the Habs anyways. Not to mention played poorly while coming back from a 3-0 deficit.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
All for giving Bergevin credit for the results from last summer, however, nothing says he wasn't saved from himself by decisions that were not within his purview. The Bonino-Lucic-Belesky UFA Lunges are not far in the rearview mirror.

We don't know for a fact that he didn't vye for a mediocre UFA -- maybe he did and was turned down. Same for a veteran. We only know the end result. And we only have end results obtained within what is a relatively small timespan when compared to his tenure as a whole.
Yep

ya know what they say about a giant blind squirrel in purple pants

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
Sure if all you look at is the standings. I dont watch them enough. But I watched last night and no I dont see a Stanley Cup contender. Which living in the Toronot area they were the favorites in Jult after signing LT. Vegas had them the favorites. Leafs fans today are saying they are disappointed and questioning whether they need a coaching change.

If the Habs added JT would you expect then to be just another bubble team next year or would you expect a major improvement?

I for one thought the leafs would be battling for first over all in the east after signing JT. Im surprised they are not even close.

You say you don’t see a contender but fail to realize that the Leafs weren’t even playing to their capabilities for the first half of the game, it was far from a perfect game for TOR but 2 points were still secured.

Any team currently in the top 10 can win the cup once the playoffs start, TBL, CGY, TOR, SJS, BOS, WPG, NSH, CBJ, WSH, NYI are all quality teams right now and all are capable of beating the others.

Tampa is a juggernaut, the expectation in Toronto was for the Leafs to be a 2nd place team in the division, we have been, 3 points behind Boston with a game in hand.

After Tampa, Toronto is arguably the 2nd best team in the entire east...so what are you saying?

Leafs are right where they’re supposed to be right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad