Confirmed with Link: Habs acquire David Schlemko for 2019 5th rounder

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Thus then, I can only sumize from your reply that Davidson has little to absolutely no upside as a 25 yr old, as a third pairing Dman.

That's too bad.

He couldn't crack a porous Oiler defence regularly and has never demonstrated the necessary hockey IQ to suggest that there is much room for improvement. If he was 3-5 years younger then there may be a discussion to be had. He is simply unlikely to be significantly better at this stage of his career. It is not impossible just very unlikely.

Schlemko is a very solid 3rd pairing dman and on a cap friendly contract.......perfect addition. Davidson will be a respectable fill in during injuries and I am glad we have him as a 7th.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Is Schlemko really that much better than Beaulieu? The man has played for 7 teams in less than 10 years, produces less also. I'll wait and see how MB plays with the cap before siding.

Beaulieu was horrendous in his own zone, like ****ing awful.

And then he got worse in the playoffs, and became a total train wreck. Glad that bum is gone...he was just good for moving the puck (when he wasn't giving it away) and getting points (and not even that many)

Uwey

Jun 10, 2006
Lunenburg, NS
He couldn't crack a porous Oiler defence regularly and has never demonstrated the necessary hockey IQ to suggest that there is much room for improvement. If he was 3-5 years younger then there may be a discussion to be had. He is simply unlikely to be significantly better at this stage of his career. It is not impossible just very unlikely.

Schlemko is a very solid 3rd pairing dman and on a cap friendly contract.......perfect addition. Davidson will be a respectable fill in during injuries and I am glad we have him as a 7th.

At the age of 25, Schlemko couldn't grab a full time gig on the Yotes D. {YIKES}

& two years ago played some games in the AHL as well as three different NHL teams.

That really doesn't look like a very solid 3rd pairing D-man to me.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=80284

I would compare those stats to Zach Redmond's.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
At the age of 25, Schlemko couldn't grab a full time gig on the Yotes D. {YIKES}

& two years ago played some games in the AHL as well as three different NHL teams.

Why are people not happy with this? Schlemko is better than Benn, Emelin, Beaulieu and Davidson. We gave up a 5th for a good #5 dman on a good contract. Great skater, good pass, and he scored more goals in the playoffs than most of the Habs forwards. Nothing to complain, and people will admit Schlemko is a steal soon enough.

Thebesthockey

Aug 6, 2013
Great, another non puck moving defensman...bargainbin same old story six years running

his welcome is way overdue

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
I actually think Schlemko is pretty solid but let not get carried away we need to keep our expectation low because he is a 30yo it not like he is going to blossom all of a sudden ,never player more than 67 games in a season (even when playing with bottom feeder team) he avg. less than 17min. per game last year (vs. Emelin avg. 21min.) he a #5 at best and he is most likely a number 6 or 7...

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Good move, tho not the weber solution ..I do wonder if it impacts the markov singing?

Either way it makes me feel better about them probably holding onto galchenyuk

I definitely think schlemko will be defensively better than both emelin a Beaulieu were..and that's a GOOD thing

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Schlemko can def move the puck don't make uneducated posts people

I absolutely despise Bergevin, but some people just love to **** on him for no good reason. Beaulieu trade was great, we would have for sure lost him and he would have wanted a raise. His attitude was also godawful. Schlemko is better than Jerabek, Emelin, Benn, Davidson, Beaulieu, Nesterov...etc Good skater, decent defensively(would look GREAT with Benn, will compliment each other perfectly), good first pass. A 5th for a good #5dman on a solid contract is a steal

Thebesthockey

Aug 6, 2013
defensively team defense has not improved. Thats the reality. the same defense that was out of playoffs quickly.

bye bye galy

meet the new boss , same as the old boss

Thebesthockey

Aug 6, 2013
I absolutely despise Bergevin, but some people just love to **** on him for no good reason. Beaulieu trade was great, we would have for sure lost him and he would have wanted a raise. His attitude was also godawful. Schlemko is better than Jerabek, Emelin, Benn, Davidson, Beaulieu, Nesterov...etc Good skater, decent defensively(would look GREAT with Benn, will compliment each other perfectly), good first pass. A 5th for a good #5dman on a solid contract is a steal

yeah you know beaulieu...:shakehead

expose shaw to the draft and protect beaulieu you would still have both ...AND MORE TIME TO DEAL BEAULIEU IF NEED BE

so spare us...

Thebesthockey

Aug 6, 2013
He. Can move the puck quite well

This is probably his best move besides Benn in acquiring a # 5-6 type of D

"...This is probably his best move..

this is the state of things when THAT ^ is the "best" move

like the thread already started..habs have bottomed out...

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax

I think it was more about deciding who would be the best fit behind OEL and Yandle on the left side. Remember that they had added Klesla into the mix and still had hopes for Gormley. If they could get a do-over, they probably don't bother sending Upshall to get Klesla, and maybe Schlemko wouldn't have gotten squeezed out of the plan.

Somewhat ironically, both he and his direct competition in Davidson just got shuffled around for a place where they might get the chance to prove that they're something more than what they've been so far. It's not about whether they're good enough to be NHL regulars, it's about how big of a role do you need them to fill and whether or not they are capable of carrying that much. Can't expect to scare too many contenders if either is a fixture in your top 4, though, imo. I can say that Schlemko looked better last year than any other I can recall. He gave the Sharks some solid work.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
yeah you know beaulieu...:shakehead

expose shaw to the draft and protect beaulieu you would still have both ...AND MORE TIME TO DEAL BEAULIEU IF NEED BE

so spare us...

Beaulieu is awful in every way:
-Absolutely horrific defensively, made Gilbert look decent
-Putrid shot
-One great stretch and AHL worthy for the next 4 stretches
-Terrible attitude for an athlete
-Would have been picked by Vegas
-Would have gotten an undeserving major raise

Thebesthockey

Aug 6, 2013
Beaulieu is awful in every way:
-Absolutely horrific defensively, made Gilbert look decent
-Putrid shot
-One great stretch and AHL worthy for the next 4 stretches
-Terrible attitude for an athlete
-Would have been picked by Vegas
-Would have gotten an undeserving major raise

is aweful but.....

"Would have been picked by Vegas"

:sarcasm:

Subbanned

Nov 4, 2011
Beaulieu was horrendous in his own zone, like ****ing awful.

And then he got worse in the playoffs, and became a total train wreck. Glad that bum is gone...he was just good for moving the puck (when he wasn't giving it away) and getting points (and not even that many)

Don't think he's much of an improvement if at all over Beaulieu. Yes, I know his advanced stats are fantastic.

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
So Davidson has reached his ceiling, can't break the porous D in edmonton, etc at 25??

But on the other hand, rexently traded Beaulieu is on the verge of breaking out at 24 and we have sadly gaved up early on our D for a ****** return... :laugh:

Hahaha. Typical reaction from this board.

I agree tho that Davidson is not more than a 6-7D.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
funny how shlemko never mentioned as possibility acquisition on thes eboards , but the moment he makes it on the habs roster he becomes the steal of the year

theres a reason he went unprotected. :laugh:

one mans junk, is anothers (bargainbins) treasure

He's a guy who has NHL qualities, but is also expendable when push comes to shove. That's basically a typical 3rd pairing guy in this league.

I don't think most people are calling it a steal. It's a good value deal but that doesn't make it a steal.

Uwey

Jun 10, 2006
Lunenburg, NS
Interesting Giveaway Stats :

#1 (By a country mile) {Norris Trophy winner} Brent Burns
#2 {Norris Runner up} Eric Karlsson
#3 (Solid #3 D-man) Jeff Petry!!!!
#11 Alexi Emelin
#16 (Soilid #1) Shea Weber
#29 Nathan Beaulieu
#35 Andrei Markov
#45 Jonathan Drouin
#56 Ryan McDonagh
#68 PK Subban (WHAT????)
#90 Carey Price (The first goaltender on the list)
#116 Jordie Benn
#174 David Schlemko
#249 Alex Galchenyuk
#681 Frans Neilsson (Just to put it all in persective)

If you go by turnovers per game:

#9- Emelin
#10- Markov
#18- Weber

Holy Moly!!! Those are ugly stats for our team!!!

https://www.sportingcharts.com/nhl/stats/player-giveaways-statistic/2016/

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad