OT: 2024 Washington Commanders off-season thread: change we can believe in!

Assuming Caleb Williams goes number 1, who is your QB pick at number 2?

• JJ McCarthy

Votes: 6 19.4%
  • Jaden Daniels

Votes: 13 41.9%
  • Drake Maye

Votes: 12 38.7%

• Total voters

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
I get your point — but I’m not sure where Newton “starts”, with Payne and Allen in front of him
He may not start day one in a traditional 4-3, but he's clearly a day one starter caliber player. Gives us flexibility to move on from Payne or Allen if we want too soon, maybe in a trade for a tackle we need, or just in case maybe Payne decides he's not worth his big contract anymore, like last year.

I imagine all them on the field occasionally on obvious running downs.

Last edited:

kicksavedave

Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Th Coleman is a guard more than an OT, so I would say we are still missing that
Coleman started 22 games over the last two seasons at LT. He might be able to play there for us, his RAS score (athleticism) is off the charts.

• 2022: Honorable Mention All-Big 12 Conference. Started all 15 games at LT.
  • 2023: Second-team All-Big 12 Conference. Started 11 games (first 4 at LG, final 7 at LT).
  • Born in Virginia but spent most of his childhood in Berlin, Germany. Moved back to the United States in 2016.

kicksavedave

Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Coleman started 22 games over the last two seasons at LT. He might be able to play there for us, his RAS score (athleticism) is off the charts.

• 2023: Second-team All-Big 12 Conference. Started 11 games (first 4 at LG, final 7 at LT).
  • Born in Virginia but spent most of his childhood in Berlin, Germany. Moved back to the United States in 2016.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ovechkins Wodka

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
AP really crushed Day 2. I’m a fan. The only pick that makes me raise an eyebrow is LMC.

I like LMC but not as a 3rd rounder. Particularly with legit starters still on the board.

Guys like McCormick, Christian Jones, Javon Foster, Khyree Jackson, TJ Tampa, and f***ing Austin Booker.

I’m actually shocked they didn’t take Booker seeing as that they brought him in and he’s a great fit on the edge. Bad interview maybe.

kicksavedave

Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
AP really crushed Day 2. I’m a fan. The only pick that makes me raise an eyebrow is LMC.

I like LMC but not as a 3rd rounder. Particularly with legit starters still on the board.

Guys like McCormick, Christian Jones, Javon Foster, Khyree Jackson, TJ Tampa, and f***ing Austin Booker.

I’m actually shocked they didn’t take Booker seeing as that they brought him in and he’s a great fit on the edge. Bad interview maybe.
I think LMC will change your mind over his rookie year and beyond. He's only played WR for two years, before that he was a QB. When he gets some NFL WR coaching, especially on routes, he just might explode. And if they don't draft him at 100, they don't get him later, he would not have slipped into the mid 5th and we don't have a 4th.

kicksavedave

Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

Winners​

Washington Commanders​

Obviously the highlight of this draft class will be Jayden Daniels, but if the Commanders return to prominence earlier than expected under Dan Quinn, we can probably point to the second day of the draft. Defensive tackle Johnny Newton from Illinois was a steal at No. 36 and only fortifies a strength for this team. Michigan DB Mike Sainristil gives them much needed help at nickleback. Kansas State tight end Ben Sinnott might unseat Zach Ertz and TCU offensive lineman Brandon Coleman gives them a quality pick at a position of need. Quinn's drafts were underrated when he was in Atlanta and he's off to a great start with Washington as well. A lot to like for the Commanders so far in 2024.

Washington Commanders

The picks: DT Jer'Zhan Newton (No. 36), CB Mike Sainristil (No. 50), TE Ben Sinnott (No. 53)

I mentioned the Commanders' trade with the Eagles above, and Washington ended up with three second-round picks. New GM Adam Peters landed a game-wrecker for the middle of his defense. He got the best slot corner in this class. And he got my second-ranked tight end, a player who could make plays in the pass game and block his butt off in the run game. This is a home run Round 2 class for the Commanders, who entered this draft with a lot of holes.

To finish out Round 3, Washington took wideout Luke McCaffrey, which was a reach based on my rankings. Still, Christian's brother has the physical traits to be an intriguing flier.

From The Athletic:
Washington Commanders — The day after selecting their franchise quarterback in Jayden Daniels, the Commanders had an active day making another five selections, including Michigan nickelback Mike Sainristil (18th pick of the second round/50th overall), a player many scouts view as a future star. Nick Saban described him as “pound for pound the best football player in this draft.” Another highlight acquisition: Kansas State tight end Ben Sinnott(21st pick of the second round/53rd overall), who draws comparisons to Baltimore’s Mark Andrews. This is the earliest Washington has taken a tight end since 2008 when they drafted Fred Davis 48th. Both positions fill real needs for Washington, and Sainristil and Sinnott have a chance to become real franchise cornerstones. Washington’s night concluded with the selection of a promising slot receiver in Luke McCaffrey, the brother of Christian McCaffrey.

Reactions: kicksavedave

Roric

Aug 2, 2020
The only thing is i figured if we were going for a TE it wouldve been sanders

RedRocking

Jan 8, 2022
NoCal

Peters has been saying they drafted him to be a T. Given he is a bit of a project - who knows when, or which side.

Still not sure who is at LT on day 1. Jayden may be running for his life, lol.

kicksavedave

Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Sanders dropped all the way into at best the 4th round. He was mocked anywhere from early 2nd to mid/late 3rd, so a lot of people, myself included, misjudged his draft expectation.

Peters has been saying they drafted him to be a T. Given he is a bit of a project - who knows when, or which side.

Still not sure who is at LT on day 1. Jayden may be running for his life, lol.

Keim says he expects Lucas to start initially but Coleman to take over after a short while. Coleman is a LT, he has the size and athleticism for that position.

Reactions: RedRocking

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
I’m not going to stress over the OT situation yet. They still have a TON of cap space, and there are (and will be more) many guys still available in FA. Guy like Bahktiari, as an example.

Let’s see who is actually in camp.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
Sanders dropped all the way into at best the 4th round. He was mocked anywhere from early 2nd to mid/late 3rd, so a lot of people, myself included, misjudged his draft expectation.
Lots of Texas players dropped. Maybe they got the typical long horn over hyped again.

Jags

Mildly Disturbed
May 5, 2016
Central Florida

Versatility. Sinnott can line up in the backfield and blocks extremely well, giving you two ways to help pick up pressure, and a receiving outlet when it breaks down. In a world where you might need help shoring up tackle spots on the O-line, blocking TEs and FBs are sexy. He's got a leadership bent, too, which our new crew seems high on.

This was a BPA pick on a lot of boards at a need position for us, but his versatility suits our needs pretty perfectly. Love this pick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad