Confirmed with Link: Habs acquire David Schlemko for 2019 5th rounder

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Sharks fans like Schlemko. The consensus is he's very solid in his own end, a very good passer, and good puck-carrier. Not as strong in the o-zone. Effective 5-on-5, not as much on PP.

Okay then.

Credit where it's due -- Habs pro-scouting has been good, so it looks like a good add for what it's worth. Still waiting for forward signings before this summer can be labelled a success.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
This website describes the player as fast.
https://www.fearthefin.com/2016/12/...the-brenden-dillon-and-david-schlemko-pairing
Schlemko’s speed makes the transition game incredibly fluid.

Not bad for a 5th-rounder.

I'm warming up to MB this summer. He did not lose much yesterday, and I'm still giddy about the Drouin acquisition. I also get the thinking behind the Beaulieu trade, especially if he plans to keep Galchenyuk.

Like the trade but this writer is a hack.......article is meaningless.

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
Sharks fans like Schlemko. The consensus is he's very solid in his own end, a very good passer, and good puck-carrier. Not as strong in the o-zone. Effective 5-on-5, not as much on PP.

Okay then.

Pretty much how I would have described him. He's decently affordable, but he seems a bit redundant with Davidson around, who is cheaper and has more to give, imo.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
I thought Nate Schmidt would be a pretty good target but cant complain about Schlemko, good pickup by Bergevin especially at that price.. Still think we should go hard after Schmidt though.

Uwey

Jun 10, 2006
Lunenburg, NS
100% agree. Go get a good vet two way center to play with them. One who still has juice unlike Plekanec. I would not be against putting AG and drouin on the same line with a vet two way 40 points center. Hanzal will probably cost too much for too long but i would not be against this line :

Drouin-Hanzal-AG.

I feel like selling AG low is going to be a terribad mistake.

Personally, I would use De La Rose between them.

I see no need to overpay someone like Hanzal who would bring hardly much more than Eller did.

Especially when there is a much cheaper Eller clone in the A.

& before people start crappin all over Eller, he was a player Washington felt inclined to protect & for good reason.

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
I thought Nate Schmidt would be a pretty good target but cant complain about Schlemko, good pickup by Bergevin especially at that price.. Still think we should go hard after Schmidt though.

Going hard after Schmidt has to be the most used sentence on HFHabs the last 24h, not that I'm judging anyone.

Uwey

Jun 10, 2006
Lunenburg, NS
Don't think you know who he is. I will take Schlemko over Beaulieu every single time.

I will reserve judgement on that, as Nate was the only D-man who was willing to drop the gloves for a fellow teammate.

Weber would drop the gloves, but moreso, if the shot was against him rather than a teammate.

That is the element of Nate's game I will surely miss.

Uwey

Jun 10, 2006
Lunenburg, NS
Pretty much how I would have described him. He's decently affordable, but he seems a bit redundant with Davidson around, who is cheaper and has more to give, imo.

Yuppers.

Unless there are huge questions about Davidson's play, there is really no gain in this trade other than being the 7th D-man.

An expensive 7th D-man in the cap era.

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
Yuppers.

Unless there are huge questions about Davidson's play, there is really no gain in this trade other than being the 7th D-man.

To be fair, there ARE still questions about Davidson's ceiling as a player. I also think he's the one pushed down to 7th with Schlemko slotting in no worse than 6th. Have to see what Jerabek is all about, though. At the price of a 5th two years from now, I'm cool and the gang with adding $2.1 mil of Schlemko insurance to the mix, but still half suspect Davidson has it in him to equal if not pass him as player.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Essentially turned Beaulieu and a 5th in 2019 into Schlemko and a 3rd. Also freed up cap by losing Emelin.

Distinct transactions don't need to be bunched up together for one's agenda.

The Beaulieu trade was abysmal.

The Schlemko move is a positive.

Vegas decided they wanted Emelin. It's their doing. Bergevin doesn't get credit for their decision. Someone might even say that Bergevin put himself in the position to begin with by consenting too much salary to the type of limited player Emelin is.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Personally, I would use De La Rose between them.

I see no need to overpay someone like Hanzal who would bring hardly much more than Eller did.

Especially when there is a much cheaper Eller clone in the A.

& before people start crappin all over Eller, he was a player Washington felt inclined to protect & for good reason.

I would rather have DLR over Hanzal. Hanzal has always been vastly overrated

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
Distinct transactions don't need to be bunched up together for one's agenda.

The Beaulieu trade was abysmal.

The Schlemko move is a positive.

Vegas decided they wanted Emelin. It's their doing. Bergevin doesn't get credit for their decision. Someone might even say that Bergevin put himself in the position to begin with by consenting too much salary to the type of limited player Emelin is.

Vegas picked Emelin because they think he offers them value, either in a trade or on the ice. So the contract can't be that bad. And MB does get credit for only losing a guy that most folks around here wanted gone. Look at players other teams lost, or what they gave up to keep guys. Only losing Emelin is
a huge win.

And I susepct Nate will do as well as all the other guys that left.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Vegas picked Emelin because they think he offers them value, either in a trade or on the ice. So the contract can't be that bad. And MB does get credit for only losing a guy that most folks around here wanted gone. Look at players other teams lost, or what they gave up to keep guys. Only losing Emelin is
a huge win.

Can't use what Vegan does as a barometer of whether a player's contract "can't be that bad". McFly made a ton of questionable selections and trades. This one can easily fall into the dubious file.

Sure, he might hold on to the guy and try and flip him now or at the TDL, maybe on account of trying to meet his cap floor obligations. That doesn't magically turn Emelin into a fair deal -- he was overpaid relative to his skilset.

Bergevin gets no credit for Vegan chosing Emelin. It's their doing. He was just lucky they decided to select Emelin and gift him his cap room.

Whether Beaulieu does well or not, is not the issue. He was traded at the worst possible time, that much is certain. Again, Bergevin put himself in the position of carrying a player the organization had little to no confidence in and then when push came to shove, had no other choice but to practically give him away. It is what it is, let's not put lipstick on a pig.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
I like this move a lot. He'll fit well with Benn, gives us a bottom pairing costing 3M, which is good.

Still need another LHD and a replacement for Petry.

FloJack

Lurking and liking.
Sponsor
Sep 6, 2006
Going hard after Schmidt has to be the most used sentence on HFHabs the last 24h, not that I'm judging anyone.

And it was tweeted recently that Vegas isn't moving him or any of their young D, hence Schlemko being available.

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
a huge win.

It was that bad. Vegas trading him at the TDL at half price and no years left doesn't negate this. The return is still left to see.

And had Bargainbin and co drafted and developed somewhat decently we'd be in a similar situation to the teams losing or paying to keep a valuable player. Not exactly something to brag about. Quite the contrary actually. We just don't have that many valuable assets to protect to start with.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Yuppers.

Schlemko is a definite upgrade over Davidson. Davidson is a 7th dman and his upside is more myth than reality. We can only hope that Davidson develops into a player like Schlemko.

If you actually believe that Schlemko is going to be the seventh dman behind Davidson then I really don't know what to say to you......

Uwey

Jun 10, 2006
Lunenburg, NS
Schlemko is a definite upgrade over Davidson. Davidson is a 7th dman and his upside is more myth than reality. We can only hope that Davidson develops into a player like Schlemko.

If you actually believe that Schlemko is going to be the seventh dman behind Davidson then I really don't know what to say to you......

Thus then, I can only sumize from your reply that Davidson has little to absolutely no upside as a 25 yr old, as a third pairing Dman.

That's too bad.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Can't use what Vegan does as a barometer of whether a player's contract "can't be that bad". McFly made a ton of questionable selections and trades. This one can easily fall into the dubious file.

Sure, he might hold on to the guy and try and flip him now or at the TDL, maybe on account of trying to meet his cap floor obligations. That doesn't magically turn Emelin into a fair deal -- he was overpaid relative to his skilset.

Bergevin gets no credit for Vegan chosing Emelin. It's their doing. He was just lucky they decided to select Emelin and gift him his cap room.

Whether Beaulieu does well or not, is not the issue. He was traded at the worst possible time, that much is certain. Again, Bergevin put himself in the position of carrying a player the organization had little to no confidence in and then when push came to shove, had no other choice but to practically give him away. It is what it is, let's not put lipstick on a pig.

Bergevin did a great job of getting an early 3rd for our worst dman. Then turned around and traded a 5th in 2019 for a better dman than Beaulieu.

Try and lay off the childish nicknames, it seriously erodes your credibility.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
A Schlemko-Benn third pair would be real solid. The beards alone makes them the perfect defensive partners. The two of them on the third pair would cost Habs $3.2M on the cap. Together, they cost $900K less than Emelin alone!

Ad

Upcoming events

• Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00