Confirmed with Link: Habs acquire David Schlemko for 2019 5th rounder

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
They win cups because they have Malkin and Crosby.

not because of their Defs.

Exactly. So the only thing left for us is to get Crosby and Malkin. Easiest thing ever. Yet, this whole let's copy the Pens as it's the only way to win a Cup is dumb as hell. When Hawks won, yeah, you had Kane and Toews and yet...you have Seabrook and Keith and Hjalmarsson....When the Kings won they had Doughty, Muzzin, Martinez....

Do people also think that you don't C's because Nashville went far in the playoffs? People don't realize that if Nashville has that centerman line all year long that they don't have the chance to be a great playoffs 'cause they would have never make the playoffs?

Last edited:

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
They needed the dman and his contract is better than Emelin's.

The thing is we don't really need to replace Emelin the 3rd pairing guy. We need to replace Emelin the top 4 (who was top 4 by default). And we kind of needed to use those 4 millions to replace him.

Davidson (and maybe Jerabek) is a fine albeit not spectacular 3rd pairing guy under a better contract than Schlemko. 3rd pairing is definitely not a priority. Wasting 2 millions of cap space on it doesn't sound like a great move to me. Specially if Beaulieu sign for not much more. Having Schlemko on a 3rd pairing instead of Davidson (or Jerabek) means we waste between 675 000 and 1 150 000 of the 4 millions we saved on Emelin.

Schlemko having a better contract that Emelin doesn't mean much if he can't be a solid top 4. If he can be that guy for the next 2 or 3 years both in regular season and playoffs great i'll eat my shoes. But if he is a 3rd pairing guy it really is not a great move. It's okay just nothing to write home about.

We will see. It's really a matter of can we fit those 2.1 millions on a 3rd pairing while acquiring a legit 1st line center (or legit 1st pairing LHD) for AG, signing an UFA center or UFA LHD, signing Markov, signing radu and extending Price. If we can then no problem Schlemko is a solid 3rd pairing guy.

Uwey

Jun 10, 2006
Lunenburg, NS
In the TSN690 audio clip from this morning Dreger said at times he feels the Habs market has been very hard on Galchenyuk and he doesn't feel the rest of the NHL shares the same level of criticism of Galchenyuk that Habs fans might have. He said he feels Hab fans are knowlegable and they still look at the upside of Galchenyuk and they expect because of this upside MB should do well if he's legitimately trying to move him out.

Dreger though thinks that MB is still in a wait and see mode and is still in the listening stage regarding Galchenyuk. Dreger also said of the teams he's asked about Galchenyuk there's maybe a bit of reservation and maybe a hint of concern but most recognize he's still a highend offensive talent.

But I still see nothing there that suggests Dreggers says Montreal will get the return most Habs fans are expecting to get back in return for Alex.

My feeling is, give Chucky & JD a year together before moving him.

That said, if the system is going to be defense first, neither player will flourish, IMO. They need to be allowed to play an attack, strong forecheck game.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
He's more mobile than Emelin, can move the puck more effectively and is half the price. Although I'm not sure if he's an upgrade on Davidson, but in the end; a decent pick up for a 5th.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
ur going away from ur first post.

''the D looks very suspicious''

The reason we are losing its not because of our D or goalie

its because we cant score more than 1 goal a game.

Not going away at all. They had the luxury to have an average D because they had so much firepower up front and a great goalie in the back end. So unless we have awesome firepower up front, I guess you could do with a no-name D. And again...that no-name D just doesn't have names. They are still good D's. You don't think every single of them is better than our bottom 3 D's?

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
But I still see nothing there that suggests Dreggers says Montreal will get the return most Habs fans are expecting to get back in return for Alex.

That said, if the system is going to be defense first, neither player will flourish, IMO. They need to be allowed to play an attack, strong forecheck game.

He doesn't say anything about what Galchenyuk could return. He feels Hab fans have been critical of Galchenyuk at times but they still see the upside and expect a good return if he's moved and why shouldn't we. He's a 23 year old offensive player who scored 30 goals just 2 years ago in a league where offense is at a premium right now.

Galchenyuk is quite likely at his lowest value right now so if the returns are underwhelming I'd rather MB re-sign him and keep him. Anyway back to the thread topic. :)

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
In the TSN690 audio clip from this morning Dreger said at times he feels the Habs market has been very hard on Galchenyuk and he doesn't feel the rest of the NHL shares the same level of criticism of Galchenyuk that Habs fans might have.

His ppg the last 2 seasons is 0.70. This is good for the 57th position among forwards who played a minimum of 81 games (a full season in the last 2 years).

This is not extraordinary but for a guy who was between 21 and 23 in the time span it's certainly not bad. It's on par with the likes of Couture, Simmonds, Perry, Kesler, Parise, ...

I don't expect the offers to be that great considering he is RFA and our management doesn't like him but i'm sure many teams are very interested.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
Francis Bouillon
Davis Drewiske
Mike Weaver
Douglas Murray
Bryan Allen
Tom Gilbert
Mark Barberio
Victor Bartley
Brandon Davidson
Nikita Nesterov
Jordie Benn
Zach Redmond
David Schlemko

Did I miss anyone?

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada

100% agree. Go get a good vet two way center to play with them. One who still has juice unlike Plekanec. I would not be against putting AG and drouin on the same line with a vet two way 40 points center. Hanzal will probably cost too much for too long but i would not be against this line :

Drouin-Hanzal-AG.

I feel like selling AG low is going to be a terribad mistake.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
He's more mobile than Emelin, can move the puck more effectively and is half the price. Although I'm not sure if he's an upgrade on Davidson, but in the end; a decent pick up for a 5th.

He's likely an upgrade over Davidson right now. For the next 3 years unlikely (years remaining on his contract).

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
Francis Bouillon
Davis Drewiske
Mike Weaver
Douglas Murray
Bryan Allen
Tom Gilbert
Mark Barberio
Victor Bartley
Brandon Davidson
Nikita Nesterov
Jordie Benn
Zach Redmond
David Schlemko

Did I miss anyone?

Your point is? It's his sixth off-season here, you can do the same exercise with any other team in the NHL. Bottom six and bottom pairs are a caroussel and the easiest position to replace/build competition for.

Oshawa General

Jul 18, 2005
Francis Bouillon
Davis Drewiske
Mike Weaver
Douglas Murray
Bryan Allen
Tom Gilbert
Mark Barberio
Victor Bartley
Brandon Davidson
Nikita Nesterov
Jordie Benn
Zach Redmond
David Schlemko

Did I miss anyone?

Start of the 2nd 5 year plan, building thru the draft, LOL, more patchwork, what a joke!!

hockeyguru19

Jun 6, 2017
So 0 goals 0 assists next year, no blocked shots, no breaking up 2 on 1's.....you heard it here first folks, according to "Hockeyguru19" :laugh:.....0% help is the claim

Yes jaffy27 Schlemko will probably be in the press box just taking up cap space.:laugh::nod::amazed::shakehead

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Can we win the cup with elite bottom pairing defenceman and elite 3rd line centers? I think that's the question on everyone's mind :sarcasm:

Petry, Jerabek, Davidson, Schlemko, Benn, Markov, Redmond as guys to play on the bottom 4 is pretty good. Add a #2 beside Weber (who knows, could be Jerabek) and this is a very solid, steady defence.

xxx -Weber
Markov - Petry
Schlemko - Benn

depending on who plays with Weber, its a solid group

Jerabek could potential be that guy
Havent watched much of him and im pretty sure most people here barely watched him
But if he can be as good as Zaitsev it should work well

Obviously you don't want to pencil in a complete unknown on your top pairing but I definitely wouldn't relegate Jerabek to #7 status

Francis Bouillon
Davis Drewiske
Mike Weaver
Douglas Murray
Bryan Allen
Tom Gilbert
Mark Barberio
Victor Bartley
Brandon Davidson
Nikita Nesterov
Jordie Benn
Zach Redmond
David Schlemko

Did I miss anyone?

Jeff Petry. We'll see about Jerabek. Wouldn't be surprised if he's better than what most people are saying who have him penciled in as a bottom pairing guy at best.

get25

Oct 17, 2015
Plays top 4 minutes in SJ but is a #7 D in Montreal? Ok
Seems often injured.
Looks more like 5th in TOI in LA: 3 minutes behind Martin.
Played on second PP unit after Vlasic.

Looks like we have 4 LHD d-men who can play bottom-4: Davidson, Schlemko, Jerabek and Benn.
Schlemko and Benn can play both sides.

We'll see but we obviously need more on top-4.
A few of these d-men can fill in on top-4 for a few games.
Maybe a top-4 by committee:laugh:.

A 5th for a 5th: seems OK.
We could also have found similar among UFA's.
He signed 2.1M as a UFA so that's his maximum value.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Seriously, had we flipped Emelin and a 5th for Schlemko, everyone would've been doing cartwheels...

I mean, that's EXACTLY what happened.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
Seriously, had we flipped Emelin and a 5th for Schlemko, everyone would've been doing cartwheels...

Schlemko contract:
$2.1M 17-18
$2.1M 18-19
$2.1M 19-20

Emelin on a buyout:
$1.16M 17-18
$1.46M 18-19

Ginu

Feb 25, 2009
www.twitter.com

In fact, we traded Beaulieu and Emelin for a 3rd. I'd take that to clear that salary.

So Beaulieu, Emelin and a 5th for Schlemko and a 3rd. Easy

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
I don't get how some people are upset with this. Everyone in the main board likes the trade for the Habs saying how underrated Schlemko is.

Now I know the Habs amateur scouting is weak, but we are aware that their professional scouting is pretty good. This is another of those minor MB moves that can help drastically. It's better than playing guys like Barberio, Nesterov and Hanley.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad