OT: Guys I'm done.... not being dramatic.

Peptic Balcers

May 1, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
I actually laid awake at night trying to figure out what hockey I'll watch to get me thru the long Ottawa winter.

I will watch some Sens games, but suspect that they will be so painful that I'll be shutting almost every game off early in the 2nd period.

And to really enjoy hockey I need some emotional attachment to one of the teams involved. So I really need to pick an "alternate favorite team" and watch / cheer for them for a few years.

I am NOT a night owl, so I have to go with someone in the east or midwest.

Some teams were easy to eliminate -- Toronto, Montreal, Pittsburgh, TB ... hopefully for obvious reasons.

I wound up narrowing it down to three :

Columbus (I have family in Ohio, and still remember Nick Foligno fondly)
Carolina (my brother lives in Raleigh and I've been there several times)
Florida (I like the Hoff)

Any suggestions? Which of the three should I latch on to?

I'll likely watch a lot of vegas/nash/jets. Not so much to pick a new favourite team, but I enjoy watching fast and fun hockey.

Also living in Ottawa, we are treated by living so close to 2 junior teams in 2 different leagues. Ill keeps tabs on the Olympiques and 67s.

Marco Rossi on the 67s (2020 eligible) looks like he's gonna be a stud. Just something to keep an eye on!

And when Rimouski comes to town, I'll keep tabs on Lafrenier too. Both guys sens can target in the 2020 draft.

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
I’m not jumping ship but I don’t hold any animosity for people who do.

Life is short.

Do what makes you happy.

One can take a break from the team and still be a fan. After all there are way more important things that you can focus on.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
But it also doesn't mean reacting like the world is going to end and hoping for either death or financial ruin for the owner of the franchise. Every team has its ups and downs and long time fans realize this. This is a bad time in the Sens history but they will be back. Heck Chicago Cubs fans waited over 100 years between championships!.
Eugene Melnyk is NOT the Sens. He just owns them for now. He, not the fans, is the one doing damage to this franchise.

True fans, who care about the team, will work towards getting the team out of his hands.

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
That fair-weather fan label doesnt really seem fair to me. Coming to a message board and declaring how hurt you are by the team, so much that you are leaving, sounds more like passion. Love hurts.

One day, the Sens will have a new young team, that is suddenly exciting and succeeding and recapturing the imagination, and there will be a large base of disenchanted and disenfranchised fans to draw sell-outs from again. But it looks like it will be a long, wandering journey through the desert to get there.

I wonder if Melnyk will ever announce that he will be at a game. Could be worth going to that one, selling eggs in the parking lot and a map to the owners box.

Reactions: RyCam and Liliaceae

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Let's be realistic here.

A lot of the people who say they are quitting hockey for good aren't actually going to be quitting it for good.

People are rightfully mad and need to vent.

I don't get why we have to start categorizing people as "good fans" or "bad fans" because of how they deal with this massive development.

Ray Kinsella

Feb 13, 2018
But it also doesn't mean reacting like the world is going to end and hoping for either death or financial ruin for the owner of the franchise. Every team has its ups and downs and long time fans realize this. This is a bad time in the Sens history but they will be back. Heck Chicago Cubs fans waited over 100 years between championships!.

"...and long time fans realize this..."

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Support local Ottawa hockey. While the 67’s are the obvious choice I highly recommend university hockey. Next time Carleton plays Ottawa try and make an effort to go see the game. Exciting and affordable.

Reactions: DrEasy

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
One day, the Sens will have a new young team, that is suddenly exciting and succeeding and recapturing the imagination, and there will be a large base of disenchanted and disenfranchised fans to draw sell-outs from again. But it looks like it will be a long, wandering journey through the desert to get there.

I don't know about this last part. Sens have a decent stockpile of prospects right now. If Gus pans out and we hit on a few of these guys I could see us being very respectable within about 2-3 seasons. Young players taken in the first two rounds come up fast these days and we'll have some bad money coming off the books soon.

There's no replacing Karl, but our longer-term outlook isn't as bleak as most seem to think.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
That fair-weather fan label doesnt really seem fair to me.

One day, the Sens will have a new young team, that is suddenly exciting and succeeding and recapturing the imagination, and there will be a large base of disenchanted and disenfranchised fans to draw sell-outs from again.

This last part is basically the definition of fairweather fans.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Support local Ottawa hockey. While the 67’s are the obvious choice I highly recommend university hockey. Next time Carleton plays Ottawa try and make an effort to go see the game. Exciting and affordable.

Ya ok great suggestion. Thanks

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Let's be realistic here.

A lot of the people who say they are quitting hockey for good aren't actually going to be quitting it for good.

People are rightfully mad and need to vent.

I don't get why we have to start categorizing people as "good fans" or "bad fans" because of how they deal with this massive development.

I ain't quitting hockey, I quit cheering for the Sens.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
I became a Bruins fan around 1994, so I walked full on into a wall of disappointment for pretty close to my first 15 years of being a fan.

I am pretty adamant that true fans never quit on their team when times get rough. There are Bruins fans (and every team has these fans) that will walk out mid-game if they go down by more than a couple goals. It’s idiotic, petty, and actually ignorant of the very concept of sport. While I am up on my pedestal, I will even call it pure emotional weakness.

That being said...if I was a Sens fan right now, I may consider taking the first couple months of the season off.

Reactions: Ray Kinsella

HF Reader

Jan 20, 2018
Lots of fair weather fans in Ottawa, I guess.
I understand your point. However I'd like to draw an analogy that is likely less charged emotionally. I've been a Dallas Cowboy fan since they joined the NFL in the 1960s. When Jerry Jones (owner) came out in support of Trump, kneeling, etc. my commitment to the Cowboys took a hit. I guess after cheering for the team for about 50 years it turns out I'm a fair-weather fan after all. Do you agree?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad