OT: Guys I'm done.... not being dramatic.

FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
I'm a night owl anyway, so west coast games are ideal for me, and I look damn good in teal.
I actually laid awake at night trying to figure out what hockey I'll watch to get me thru the long Ottawa winter.

I will watch some Sens games, but suspect that they will be so painful that I'll be shutting almost every game off early in the 2nd period.

And to really enjoy hockey I need some emotional attachment to one of the teams involved. So I really need to pick an "alternate favorite team" and watch / cheer for them for a few years.

I am NOT a night owl, so I have to go with someone in the east or midwest.

Some teams were easy to eliminate -- Toronto, Montreal, Pittsburgh, TB ... hopefully for obvious reasons.

I wound up narrowing it down to three :

Columbus (I have family in Ohio, and still remember Nick Foligno fondly)
Carolina (my brother lives in Raleigh and I've been there several times)
Florida (I like the Hoff)

Any suggestions? Which of the three should I latch on to?

Reactions: BigCanadian

Neil Patrick Harris

Now sponsored by Zoom™
Aug 23, 2008
Ottawa
For me the Melnyk hate started on the day we lost Alfredsson in free agency and it ended yesterday when we traded Karlsson away to the Sharks.

I say it ended yesterday not because I suddenly view Melnyk in a positive light, but because I simply don't care anymore. I used to love the sens; travel to Kanata and watch the rookies play in camp, spend money on tickets/mech., stay up late on weeknights watching the sens travel from arena to arena across the western conference. Now, I have absolutely no interest or emotional attachment to the team.

I understand the NHL is a business and Melnyk being the owner has the right to run the organization however he sees fit. The thing is, Melnyk's actions/comments have made me view the sens as exactly that - a business - and not as an NHL organization I love and support. A large factor in the Sens success is dependent on the financial support of fans and their emotional investment into the team. For Melnyk's sake I hope there's not many other fans who share my opinion.
Ding ding ding! Somebody's got the correct answer.

You've pretty much hit the nail on the head. I can understand all the people going on about how "you have to support the team always" (wrong as they may be!) but the reality is that the emotional connection between fans and the team has been effectively severed, and the primary actor in all of this is Eugene Melynk. All discussion surrounding this team in some way revolves back to him, which is exactly the way thing shouldn't be. When the team was running fine and things were going well, Melnyk was practically a non-entity. Now we've become a circus with Melnyk as the ringleader.

From a fan perspective, being a Sens fan has become incredibly tiring because it's impossible to suspend disbelief for one damn second. I can't just sit there and enjoy the product on the ice because it's constantly being marred by the absolute shitshow going on behind the scenes which, in the social media age, is just completely unavoidable. It's kind of like another fandom of mine, wrestling. Once you get a glimpse about how things are going behind the scenes, it becomes very, very difficult to ever truly enjoy it again because you can constantly see behind the curtain and see how things could be run far better.

I agree that the Alfredsson kerfuffle was probably the first shot across the bow in that regard. What should have been a fairytale ending to a story running nearly two decades ended in horror and an enjoining media circus with Melnyk and his relationship with Alfredsson in the spotlight. It lifted a curtain on our team and we all had to see an ugliness that we would rather have been oblivious to.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
For me the Melnyk hate started on the day we lost Alfredsson in free agency and it ended yesterday when we traded Karlsson away to the Sharks.

I say it ended yesterday not because I suddenly view Melnyk in a positive light, but because I simply don't care anymore. I used to love the sens; travel to Kanata and watch the rookies play in camp, spend money on tickets/mech., stay up late on weeknights watching the sens travel from arena to arena across the western conference. Now, I have absolutely no interest or emotional attachment to the team.

I understand the NHL is a business and Melnyk being the owner has the right to run the organization however he sees fit. The thing is, Melnyk's actions/comments have made me view the sens as exactly that - a business - and not as an NHL organization I love and support. A large factor in the Sens success is dependent on the financial support of fans and their emotional investment into the team. For Melnyk's sake I hope there's not many other fans who share my opinion.
Good post.

Sorry that it has come to this for you.

As I'm sure many have noticed, I'm stubborn and I'm a fighter. I'll never let that bastard Melnyk dim my passion for the Sens. I'll be cheering for the team way after he's worm food.

I can 100% see where you are coming from and hope a change in ownership can rekindle your passion.

Reactions: Yourkeyparka

Sensators

Sep 15, 2009
I actually laid awake at night trying to figure out what hockey I'll watch to get me thru the long Ottawa winter.

I will watch some Sens games, but suspect that they will be so painful that I'll be shutting almost every game off early in the 2nd period.

And to really enjoy hockey I need some emotional attachment to one of the teams involved. So I really need to pick an "alternate favorite team" and watch / cheer for them for a few years.

Some teams were easy to eliminate -- Toronto, Montreal, Pittsburgh, TB ... hopefully for obvious reasons.

Columbus until panarin leaves - most fun player in the eastern conference to watch for me. Jones is soooooo good too.

Punchbowl

Apr 4, 2010

I'll admit it, I'm partially pissed about this trade because the time difference is going to make continuing to watch EK a bitch.

Melnyk has just completely killed my interest in this team. Too many guys I've loved to watch (Karlsson, Zibanejad, Turris, Alfie, Methot) have either been let go or actively shipped out -- it's just wearing me down.

It was sad to see Phillips, Neil, and even Kelly go, but it was their time. It was understandable. They'd reached the end of their careers and it was time for them to retire as Senators. This is different.

Anyway, rant aside, I'm with you. I'm also trying to find a hold-over team until Melnyk has finished bleeding this team dry.

I was just planning to follow Karlsson to a new team but it's not looking good. Vegas/Dallas would have been tough, but at least it's just a 2hr time difference. Those 10:30 pm ET starts in SJ are ugly.

Maybe NJ? They play in red so they'd be easier to cheer for. The Rangers are kind of intriguing. Sabres/Bruins/Wings are probably my favourites from our division, but the Wings are in absolute shambles.

I'm going to read up on the Devils.

Reactions: DrEasy

Punchbowl

Apr 4, 2010
Don't let your ass hit the door on the way out. Fake fans

Simmer down dude.

How much does one have to follow a team to be a 'real fan?'

If I cut back on following the Sens from 1hr/day to 30mins of Sens, 30 mins of something else for a couple years, is that not enough? What if it's 30 mins of just Sens?

I've never understood this mindset. We're all diehards if we're on a message forum for the team in the summer on a Friday night.

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
If you start supporting another teams interests over the Sens, then that makes you a bad Sens fan.

People who want to see this team ultimately succeed are good fans, even if there are disagreements about how it should be done.

I am a terrible Leafs fan.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
Don't let your ass hit the door on the way out. Fake fans
People have their limits. How much money are you contributing to the Sens this season?
As A Leaf fan,I don't care all that much (never been a Sens hater) But just wanted to ask a question?
Using Vegas as an example ,since they were viewed as a team full of cast-offs ,can the Sens put together a decent 'worker bee 'type team? It may not work like the Knights team ,but is it not possible to focus on a solution to the indescribable mess instead of just calling for Melnyks head?

Reactions: SensFactor

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I have my reasons. Being surrounded by them in friends, family, co workers is one.

Knowing the leafs games will be on every where is another. Getting to enjoy hockey with dozens of people (versus being the sole Sens fan) is a nice thought. Cant beat em, join em.

Johnny T, Marner, Kadri, Marleau are good Ontario boys.

I was born in the Sault, and think Dubas is the best thing since sliced bread. Babcock is the best coach. Their resources are unlimited basically, and they are legitimately the best shot at seeing a Canadian team win the cup.

So yeah I suppose not being from Ottawa makes this a bit easier for me. The Habs have always been my #1 enemy, not the leafs.

While I feel a bit of shame now, Im at least going to be enjoying watching hockey for the next XX years until Melnyk dies.

You know what....go for it. This is a sports team, not an army representing your freedom. Cheer for whoever you want, and have fun with it. at the end of the day, sports is just entertainment. It's meant to be enjoyed.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
it drives me nuts how a NHL Franchise in Canada can be so cheap. Melnyk is a joke. I cant believe the direction this team has gone in after that run they had. I was kinda excited to see a serious Battle of Ontario.

I hope you guys get the owner you deserve. Rivals or not I hope you guys right the ship and get going again.
Thanks for the kind words.

Reactions: Oley49

Tap on the Ankle

Jun 9, 2004
Ottawa
If you start supporting another teams interests over the Sens, then that makes you a bad Sens fan.

People who want to see this team ultimately succeed are good fans, even if there are disagreements about how it should be done.

I am a terrible Leafs fan.

I'm open to following some other teams because I enjoy watching hockey played at a high level, but like many I am irrevocably soured on Melnyk and have no interest in financially supporting the Senators until he is completely out of the picture. If Melnyk somehow holds on for a long time to come it's possible that my passion for the local NHL team never rekindles. Hopefully that won't be the case.

For now my plan is to casually follow Karlsson in San Jose and maybe catch some games in Montreal against Ottawa or San Jose. I can't deny the possibility of becoming a Habs or QC fan if Melnyk is really here for the long haul, but I think that it would never really feel the same. You can say I'm not a "real fan" or whatever - I don't care. I grew up in Ottawa as a Sens fan, they came into existence when I was in grade 2. Right now my interest is at an all-time low and I suddenly feel very uncommitted to this team so I can't really say what will happen. This isn't like the Spezza trade with that garbage return - that was disappointing but there was still an aura of "we can move forward from this."

A new ownership is the only thing that can turn this bus around. That was probably already the case but it is undeniable now.

Last edited:
Reactions: Daffy

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville

It was always manufactured emotion (true for all franchise-based pro sports), and with Sens marketing especially, usually tacky and transparent.

It's the players that make the team likeable and create genuine emotion (the Ministry of Offense! the Pizza Line! Chara-Volchenkov! the Pesky Sens! Chris Neil's nasty hits and naughty grin! the MoToR line! Karlsson!), and of course winning helps. When you let the key players go, with no hope for the future, we're left again with the tacky manufactured emotion. Might still work for kids, at best.

Ray Kinsella

Feb 13, 2018
You arent alone.

Im already knee deep in stress with my mothers battle with cancer.

Ive been on the fence with boycotting a Melnyk owned team for a little while now, and said that I would wait and see what happens with EK before I decide if its worth pulling the plug or not.

I walked into this week with a bit of optimism for the future, and first we got the Boro video, and now this.

So im also personally done until the obvious changes are made up top.
Sorry to hear about your mom...

Ray Kinsella

Feb 13, 2018
Sure. I love this team and enjoy watching the games. I don't like Melnyk but I have some sympathy for the rotten team financial situation. I'd rather watch hockey than not and I expect things will get better. I'll stand by the team, even through this gong show. I love Karlsson, but not above my team. As much as people say it's not about winning and losing, the only reason people care about the owner or money is because they know that's tied to winning. Basically I'm a fan of my team, even when it is acting incompetently.
Congratulations

6stringmofo

Mar 12, 2015
Ottawa
I just don't care anymore.

Ottawa has been chaos for years. I watched because of Alfredsson then they forced him out, but we still had Spezza but he too was traded for garbage, but we still have the best defenseman in the league and IMO the best player, trade him for garbage.

**** the Ottawa Senators

This owner is a complete failure and doesn’t deserve the honor of being an owner.

I have 4 jerseys. Alfie. Heatly, Spezza, Karlsson. all traded for garbage or in Alfie’s case pushed out. All because of a cheap POS owner.

Since February, they decided Karlsson would help the rebuild best (bull**** for lowering the team's salary).

They told us they would offer EK a contract with the hopes of signing him. Bull****, they low-balled him with no intentions of signing him. Then traded him for ****ing garbage.

It was all about money. ****ing Patches got back more than Ottawa did for the best player on the planet.

Thus I just don't care anymore.

Go Sharks?

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
That is an idiotic take.

Being a fan doesn't mean shutting your brain off and accepting everything the team does without question.

But it also doesn't mean reacting like the world is going to end and hoping for either death or financial ruin for the owner of the franchise. Every team has its ups and downs and long time fans realize this. This is a bad time in the Sens history but they will be back. Heck Chicago Cubs fans waited over 100 years between championships!.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad