Confirmed with Link: Guy Carbonneau elected to HHOF

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
If we don't recognize Carbo has one of the best in the pure Selke type, we won't ever recognize anyone else.

Great player, certainly belongs in the HOF. You knew every time he was on the ice that the other team would have an extremely hard time to score.

Hoping Danault is inspired.
Except guy never even scored 60 points in an era where it wasn't much of an accomplishment to do so. He was a great defensive forward/shadower/shock blocker, but not worthy of HOF inclusion IMO.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Except guy never even scored 60 points in an era where it wasn't much of an accomplishment to do so. He was a great defensive forward/shadower/shock blocker, but not worthy of HOF inclusion IMO.
I think he should be in. Definitely one of best defensive centers of all time. Seemed like pinnacle of his career was '86 playoffs.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York

That's ridiculous, 3 Selke, finalist for 5 more (and oh yeah, 3 cups). And always in the +/- against the very guys that were scoring 100+ pts. It's amazingly stupid to pretend like we should just honor point producers.

Jul 6, 2016

Have you ever saw him play in his prime ? Stats don't tell the whole story.

Reactions: Beer and Chips

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
Congrats to Carbo. I don't understand why people get so upset when players they don't think should he in the HoF get voted in. Carbo was one of the best at what he did for a good long stretch and why should it only be based on goals and points for a forward. Nice to see a top notch defensive forward get his due.

Reactions: 1909 and Chili

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
Congrats to Carbo. I don't understand why people get so upset when players they don't think should he in the HoF get voted in. Carbo was one of the best at what he did for a good long stretch and why should it only be based on goals and points for a forward. Nice to see a top notch defensive forward get his due.
Bob Gainey in the HHOF gets questioned on the History board sometimes. Probably by folks who never saw his play.

It's all about numbers for some. I repost the criteria from the HHOF site from time to time...

Playing ability, sportsmanship, character and contributions to his or her team or teams and to the game of hockey in general.

Which goes well beyond the numbers.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
Bob Gainey in the HHOF gets questioned on the History board sometimes. Probably by folks who never saw his play.

It's all about numbers for some. I repost the criteria from the HHOF site from time to time...

Which goes well beyond the numbers.

Yup if you were considered one of the best at what you do for a good long stretch getting to the HoF is deserved and Carbo was exactly that IMO.

Reactions: Adam Michaels

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
I think he should be in. Definitely one of best defensive centers of all time. Seemed like pinnacle of his career was '86 playoffs.
and there is also that smaller stretch in '93 where he shadowed Gretzky, which is among his top accomplishments.

Reactions: Adam Michaels

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
A bit off topic, but I also Remeber the strangest hockey card I got as a kid.

I think it was a pro set pack, and inside, I find a guy carbonneau card where I think he was in a practice jersey. The card was basically about drinking and driving.

It's the most bizarre hockey card I ever got.

Reactions: Fixxer

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Have you ever saw him play in his prime ? Stats don't tell the whole story.
Of course. Hall of fame is not supposed to be for very good players IMO, which carbs was for sure, but I think it cheapens it when a player like him gets in.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
That's ridiculous, 3 Selke, finalist for 5 more (and oh yeah, 3 cups). And always in the +/- against the very guys that were scoring 100+ pts. It's amazingly stupid to pretend like we should just honor point producers.
Selke is largely a reputation award. Once you're in the running a few times you keep earning votes whether you deserve them or not. Not to say carbs wasn't a great defsive forward, he was, but selkes aren't enough IMO. Cups are a product of team success, not individual. I'm not upset by it. I just don't think he should be in there.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
and there is also that smaller stretch in '93 where he shadowed Gretzky, which is among his top accomplishments.
Shows the value of a good shutdown defensive center. Carbo was able to nullify Gretzky like that. Who at the time one of best centers in game. Especially, considering defensive centers don't make a ton of money. But are very valuable to team

Reactions: Fixxer

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
I knew this thread would be full of stat worshippers who never watched him play.....

Carbo absolutely could have scored alot more if he was put in that role but he was so valuable as an absolutely dominant shut down center who played tougher minutes over his career than anyone in the entire league. I laugh at the people who refer to his lack of gaudy numbers in the high scoring era that he played in yet fail to acknowledge how impressive it was for him to shut down and outproduce some of the greatest players ever to play the game in head to head situations.

The fact that he ranged from the 3rd to 5th highest scoring forward on some very strong Monreal teams during his prime while taking all of the worst matchups, defensive zone faceoffs and being the best penalty killing forward the league has likely ever seen (at the expense of receiving significant PP time) is an offensive wonder in itself.

His induction was a no brainer as he was our most valuable forward for a number of years despite not leading the team in scoring. For those of us who lived and died with the Habs during this era, we know the importance of Guy Carbonneau. For those that didn't and prefer to rely on offensive stats as a direct linear correlation to value.......you will not have a valid opinion on the matter until you learn to understand the game at a higher level.

habergeon

Apr 15, 2015
OK, I'm officially feeling old.

I watched him play live with the NS Voyageurs. He was a big scorer coming out of junior, and he scored for the Vees a fair bit too. Seeing him develop into such a complete player was a privilege and he definitely deserves to be in the HHOF.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
What a warrior. Carbo has so many marks on his face cause of the way he played. If I had been from another team Carbo would have been one of the players I would have feared the most. Dude was a brainiac and would know how to take advantage of your mistakes.

Congrats, well deserved.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
I knew this thread would be full of stat worshippers who never watched him play.....

Carbo absolutely could have scored alot more if he was put in that role but he was so valuable as an absolutely dominant shut down center who played tougher minutes over his career than anyone in the entire league. I laugh at the people who refer to his lack of gaudy numbers in the high scoring era that he played in yet fail to acknowledge how impressive it was for him to shut down and outproduce some of the greatest players ever to play the game in head to head situations.

The fact that he ranged from the 3rd to 5th highest scoring forward on some very strong Monreal teams during his prime while taking all of the worst matchups, defensive zone faceoffs and being the best penalty killing forward the league has likely ever seen (at the expense of receiving significant PP time) is an offensive wonder in itself.

His induction was a no brainer as he was our most valuable forward for a number of years despite not leading the team in scoring. For those of us who lived and died with the Habs during this era, we know the importance of Guy Carbonneau. For those that didn't and prefer to rely on offensive stats as a direct linear correlation to value.......you will not have a valid opinion on the matter until you learn to understand the game at a higher level.

Reminded me of when people who have not seen the player play were baffled by the induction of Dick Duff. Jean Beliveau came out of the woodwork to defend him. He said Duff did all the little things on the ice and he was one of the best players he's played with and that of course he was deserving to be in. Everybody shut their mouths after that.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
New entrance criteria for the HOF:

"Was this player ever considered at least 'very good', 'quite good', or any variant thereof at any point during their career? If yes, start paperwork for admission".

Jul 6, 2016
Carbo was traded for political reasons after the finger. Also was pushing mid 30's at the time.

That famous "finger" happened on a golf course. And Carbo was directing it to the press photographer, not the fans. But Mr. Perfect, Ronald Corey, was super strict on off ice behaviours by the Habs players...

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad