Confirmed with Link: Guy Carbonneau elected to HHOF

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
Lack of results, but if you're looking at a reason for that, probably a lack of peoples' skills. Carbo was never the nicest guy.
I believe that's why Steve Beign requested a trade back in 09 as Carbo scratched him for a while and apparently didnt communicate with him. While he wasnt a great coach, I'd always remember him for the 07-08 season where the Habs were fun and competitive.

Reactions: Fixxer

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
My earlier memories of the habs generally are from the early 90s, when carbo was on the other side of 30.

I never really saw him as much of a scoring threat at all, but I knew he was a great defensive player.

He really mastered the art of shot blocking with his shin pads. What's funny though is that nobody does it with that technique anymore.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
21 into the rafters....

It's funny because I have never heard his name mentioned for a number retirement, and I've heard plenty of potential names for the habs.

I don't think the habs will automatically retire his number based on this induction, but at the very least, his name will now start to pop in conversations.

With #23 in the rafters, a case can be made.

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't he score a couple of times in OT during the 93 cup run? He was definitely a clutch player.

I believe once against the Sabres (from Savard, when Ronan dove to waive off icing) and once against the Isles.

Reactions: Pickles

googlymoogly

Oct 27, 2007
My earlier memories of the habs generally are from the early 90s, when carbo was on the other side of 30.

I never really saw him as much of a scoring threat at all, but I knew he was a great defensive player.

He really mastered the art of shot blocking with his shin pads. What's funny though is that nobody does it with that technique anymore.
At times it seemed like he would redirect the puck out of the zone with his technique.

Fergy22

Nov 9, 2003
Ft Wayne
Ironic that Guy wore the #21 after Selke winner Doug Jarvis wore it, who was the premiere defensive center of his day.

***When Jarvis came up in 1975-76, the Canadiens promptly won four straight Stanley Cups. In Ken Dryden's stimulating book, ''The Game,'' the former Canadien goalie has written about the checking line of Jarvis, Bob Gainey and Jim Roberts:
''Playing one minute in every three, on a team that scored more than 380 goals, they scored 33, but playing the first shift of every game, often the last shift of a period and the last minute of every game when the score was close, playing the Clarke, Sittler, Perreault, Dionne, Esposito and Trottier lines, the league's best lines, they allowed even fewer. It seemed inconceivable to us.''

holy

2023-2024 Cup CHamps
May 22, 2017
The 93 finals where he asked to check Gretzky and proceeded to shut him down sums up how clutch Carbo was as a player. If it wasn't for some photographer catching him sticking out the finger he could have been a Hab much longer than 94.
Wait what? Can you explain that last part? He got caught sticking up the middle finger and that ended his time as a Hab?

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
And since when is it a standard to disqualify someone over coaching?

"Yeah kid, you were awesome as a player but you sucked as a coach so NO HHOF for you"
I believe they decided to have Carbo in now because it's obvious that he's not going back to coaching.

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
Time to retire #21 while no one on the team is wearing it? (what's Thompson #)

Last edited:

Beendair Donedat

Punk in Drublic
Dec 29, 2010
Truth or Consequences, NM
Wait what? Can you explain that last part? He got caught sticking up the middle finger and that ended his time as a Hab?

He gave the finger to a reporter when he was out playing golf after Montreal was eliminated from the playoffs... memory serves me right he was with Patrick Roy and maybe Muller? Can’t remember for sure, but definitely Roy....anyway the guy (reporter) was hiding in the woods and Carbo was pissed. And since the Habs have always prided themselves on carrying themselves with class on and off the ice, we shipped a great player out pronto... same reason that we sent Chelios and Corson packing, and even Keane being a throw in with Roy for his not learning French isn’t a big deal comments... used to be that if you stepped out of line, you got shipped out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad