Confirmed with Link: Gusev traded to Devils for picks 2020 3rd; 2021 2nd

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
I'm not sure where I'd put us. At our best, we are a tenacious, hard working, heavy forechecking team, with lots of two way forwards, and the skill to get things done. I really think we'll miss Bellemares forechecking, hopefully Nosek can step up to the plate and keep that going. I think we struggle a bit in the hockey smarts department or maybe don't trust our instincts enough, we seemed to shoot when we should have passed, and passed when we should have shot and were not nearly mobile enough as the powerplay often showed.

I didn't want my Avs to face Vegas in the POs because they were going to be a very tough out. They're very skilled and have the toughest forechecking group you'll come across. An excellent team. They're legit.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
6,300,000. 6.3M.

Remove Holden, & either trade Clarkson or put him on LTIR and we have that cap hit available for 2 dmen, Engo, one forward, and one backup goalie.

If Hague nor Coghlan makes the team, and we sign Schuldt, Subban, & Engo for 900k each with Whitecloud as the last dman, we have 2,675,000 available for our last forward. I expect all three to get lower cap hits(especially Engo if he wants performance bonuses), but as you noticed I went with the highest possible total for worst case scenario.

For reference, 2,750,000 is what Haula costs. Which is why I think the Gusev trading talk is getting overblown, and he won't get traded unless somebody makes the McGM's an offer they can't refuse.

The team is over the cap right now. Doesn't matter if Clarkson is gone or on LTIR, whatever happens to him there is no additional cap space. They have about $2.575m available right now and have to sign Subban and Engo, plus absorb two more players, likely entry level contract players to get to 23. I'm starting to wonder how they can do it without one more move, even to put 23 guys together for the opening roster. Subban and Engo will cost near $2m, they will be about $700k short on space.

Now add in Gusev and you can see the issue they have. If Gusev was signed at $4m AAV, there would have to be multiple trades and Holden/Reaves wouldn't be enough. Even putting Eakin for Reaves isn't enough, they'd have to trade 3 guys in a market that's pretty much set. Let's say they get Gusev to $2.5m AAV, now its possible but still requires a move and teams are going to stick it to the Knights to make a move at this point. Eakin might work then, but Gusev has to be $3m max and then its still dependent on what Subban gets and what deal they cut with Engo.

Due to that uncertainty I don't think they make any moves until Subban is resolved, then they sign Engo, then they go hit the market. Just feels like to me its trade Gusev for a guy on an entry level contract or some prospects, and then move Holden and retain some salary because its going to cost a lot to get someone to take a $2.2m contract now after everyone has basically filled their slots.

Reactions: ChanceVegas

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
The team is over the cap right now. Doesn't matter if Clarkson is gone or on LTIR, whatever happens to him there is no additional cap space. They have about $2.575m available right now and have to sign Subban and Engo, plus absorb two more players, likely entry level contract players to get to 23. I'm starting to wonder how they can do it without one more move, even to put 23 guys together for the opening roster. Subban and Engo will cost near $2m, they will be about $700k short on space.

Now add in Gusev and you can see the issue they have. If Gusev was signed at $4m AAV, there would have to be multiple trades and Holden/Reaves wouldn't be enough. Even putting Eakin for Reaves isn't enough, they'd have to trade 3 guys in a market that's pretty much set. Let's say they get Gusev to $2.5m AAV, now its possible but still requires a move and teams are going to stick it to the Knights to make a move at this point. Eakin might work then, but Gusev has to be $3m max and then its still dependent on what Subban gets and what deal they cut with Engo.

Due to that uncertainty I don't think they make any moves until Subban is resolved, then they sign Engo, then they go hit the market. Just feels like to me its trade Gusev for a guy on an entry level contract or some prospects, and then move Holden and retain some salary because its going to cost a lot to get someone to take a $2.2m contract now after everyone has basically filled their slots.
If Holden is claimed on waivers/traded they can put Clarkson on LTIR(or traded, Ottawa makes the most sense if they want to be a seller at the TDL). After that a Reaves(or Eakin) trade would mean we can sign Gusev for 4M as Roy would take Reavo's spot, and Glass would take Eakin's spot.

And we don't need 23 players. One extra forward, and one extra dman is enough.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
If you're a team like the Kings or Ducks you take Holden along with a 5th no questions asked. I'm sorry but it's ridiculous to suggest 1 year 2.2m for a 7D is untradeable.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
If Holden is claimed on waivers/traded they can put Clarkson on LTIR(or traded, Ottawa makes the most sense if they want to be a seller at the TDL). After that a Reaves(or Eakin) trade would mean we can sign Gusev for 4M as Roy would take Reavo's spot, and Glass would take Eakin's spot.

And we don't need 23 players. One extra forward, and one extra dman is enough.

I could be wrong but I thought the salary cap compliance was based on 23 contracts?

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
If you're a team like the Kings or Ducks you take Holden along with a 5th no questions asked. I'm sorry but it's ridiculous to suggest 1 year 2.2m for a 7D is untradeable.

Keep dreaming. He's about as good as Engo who won't break $1m. He's not as good as Merrill who at $1.4m is a so so D option. If you are the Kings you think I just let Fantenberg walk for an $850k one year deal, Holden is no better. And then everyone knows the cap issues.

If I'm another team I tell you to go F yourself if you think an unretained Holden is worth a 5th. Also remember the other team has to send something in return, cant do a naked swap of two assets for nothing so even giving back a 7th makes me demand more. Either you retain some salary so he's close to the going rate for a mediocre veteran or you give up more than a 5th. Maybe a late 3rd could get it done. The Knights would do it if they came to an agreement with Gusev and needed the specific amount of space, but you don't make this move until you know exactly what will be needed.

And you are dreaming if you think a team that's rebuilding would waste a slot on Holden. Also if you think division rivals are going to help you aren't paying much attention. We weren't in any mood to help the Kings out a few years ago when in cap hell and we had room with expansion draft, they won't be helping us now.

Reactions: Boris Zubov

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Keep dreaming. He's about as good as Engo who won't break $1m. He's not as good as Merrill who at $1.4m is a so so D option. If you are the Kings you think I just let Fantenberg walk for an $850k one year deal, Holden is no better. And then everyone knows the cap issues.

If I'm another team I tell you to go F yourself if you think an unretained Holden is worth a 5th. Also remember the other team has to send something in return, cant do a naked swap of two assets for nothing so even giving back a 7th makes me demand more. Either you retain some salary so he's close to the going rate for a mediocre veteran or you give up more than a 5th. Maybe a late 3rd could get it done. The Knights would do it if they came to an agreement with Gusev and needed the specific amount of space, but you don't make this move until you know exactly what will be needed.

And you are dreaming if you think a team that's rebuilding would waste a slot on Holden. Also if you think division rivals are going to help you aren't paying much attention. We weren't in any mood to help the Kings out a few years ago when in cap hell and we had room with expansion draft, they won't be helping us now.

You're ranting about a 7d that's overpaid by about 700k with 1 year left. A D that can skate, hit, kill penalties, and move the puck.

Hainsey just got 3.5m and he's almost 50.

Last edited:

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018

Holden has his problems but teams value veteran defensemen and a team would find a use for him and doesn't care if taking him helps you keep Gusev instead of him going to another team. Posters often misjudge how actual general managers value players.

Lovejoy for Despres comes to mind as a deal for a bottom pairing defenseman who had his struggles that Rutherford made, giving up a younger top 4 defenseman that turned out alright for him. If that deal can get made then a team can trade for Holden for a 6th or a low level prospect.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
You forgot "ice the puck like a champ"

Luckily, it's impossible for other GMs to know things like that. 2 seasons ago he was coveted at the trade deadline. Last season he played 61 games and was a +5. A GM would be wise to take him and flip him at the deadline.

Anything fishy in his advanced stats?

Pirate Deadpool

Mar 3, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
This is what I was worried about last year. McPhee is f***ing overrated and screwed this team for this year and possibly the next. I hope I'm wrong, but it would take a lot of moves and all of the draft ammo for the next draft which is a deep draft would likely be burned up to unload the mistakes he made to sign Gusev so I'm giving up on him.

McPhee is a great drafter, but over values vets. The Nevada tax rate aka zero should be factored in deals and be should be tougher in negotiations because of it. I knew that we would lose PEB last year as soon as I saw Reaves' deal. I'm glad that I have been following the Avs for decades because I can root for him and the team to do well.

As well as Eakin did last season, he should be traded and it has nothing to do with trying to free up money for Gusev. Glass should be the 3rd line center this year or next year at worst. I'd be surprised if Glass can't hold down the 3rd line pivot job. Eakin is going to get a raise and there's no way VGK should be paying a 3rd or 4th line center over 4 mil in 2020-2021 so we should just trade him now. If we keep yes he can help this team a lot, but we'd lose him for nothing when some other team pays him more money. I sure hope that we wouldn't be keeping him. That would mean that Glass would be traded or still be overcooked in the minors.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
This is what I was worried about last year. McPhee is ****ing overrated and screwed this team for this year and possibly the next. I hope I'm wrong, but it would take a lot of moves and all of the draft ammo for the next draft which is a deep draft would likely be burned up to unload the mistakes he made to sign Gusev so I'm giving up on him.

McPhee is a great drafter, but over values vets. The Nevada tax rate aka zero should be factored in deals and be should be tougher in negotiations because of it. I knew that we would lose PEB last year as soon as I saw Reaves' deal. I'm glad that I have been following the Avs for decades because I can root for him and the team to do well.

As well as Eakin did last season, he should be traded and it has nothing to do with trying to free up money for Gusev. Glass should be the 3rd line center this year or next year at worst. I'd be surprised if Glass can't hold down the 3rd line pivot job. Eakin is going to get a raise and there's no way VGK should be paying a 3rd or 4th line center over 4 mil in 2020-2021 so we should just trade him now. If we keep yes he can help this team a lot, but we'd lose him for nothing when some other team pays him more money. I sure hope that we wouldn't be keeping him. That would mean that Glass would be traded or still be overcooked in the minors.

McCrimmon is taking over at the start of the season

McPhee laughs at your concerns while sipping mohitos on a scouting trip to Oahu to 'evaluate the underrated Hawaiian hockey league'.

giphy.gif

Last edited:

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
Luckily, it's impossible for other GMs to know things like that. 2 seasons ago he was coveted at the trade deadline. Last season he played 61 games and was a +5. A GM would be wise to take him and flip him at the deadline.

Anything fishy in his advanced stats?
His advanced stats last season are very similar to Miller's with a 4.5% less o-zone start%, so that's a positive for us when we trade/waive him.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
What if Gusev ends up taking the 2m for 1 year?...Is that too much to hope for?

His advanced stats last season are very similar to Miller's with a 4.5% less o-zone start%, so that's a positive for us when we trade/waive him.

Yzerman would probably take him along with a 5th and end up flipping him for a 3rd at the deadline to Philadelphia so Vigneault can play him 20 minutes again.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
What if Gusev ends up taking the 2m for 1 year?...Is that too much to hope for?

Yzerman would probably take him along with a 5th and end up flipping him for a 3rd at the deadline to Philadelphia so Vigneault can play him 20 minutes again.

Even if they could sign a 3x1 deal, that should be enough to then pay him a long term deal.

I think it really is not easy to see what the hold up would be with the team.

Holden is tradeable I think it isn't a huge cap hit to have to pay for a defenseman who can play on the right side of a third pairing and be alright with the obvious deficiencies that 6D tend to have.

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017

willy702

Jul 3, 2016

2nd round pick and spare parts.
Disgusting.

Keep the Goose. Move Eakin.

Its a decent article but he's forgetting the $500k retention to Tatar so the lineup he suggests is not quite cap compliant. Then again, he's penciled in Engelland for $1m and it seems he may get a little less so it might work, but still feels like we won't know for sure until RFA process is complete.

The third line of Gusev-Eakin-Tuch feels a little off to me. I know Cody did fine and helped generate offense when he was forced to move up a bit, but I still feel like if he's around he's better anchoring the fourth line. Further I don't know if that fourth line he projects really makes sense. Sure we like our forecheckers/energy guys line, but Nosek isn't quite that player and if all you have is Carrier left, feels like it might be time to turn it into a different style. Maybe one that is defensively aware, but also plays a little more skilled game. If you don't have PEB and Reaves, not sure if you can play the same game, but if you have Carrier-Eakin-Pirri, might be a nice change of pace that puts a few more goals together.

Brazen331

Jul 18, 2018
Those offers of 2nds become instant Martin Erats. So McPhee should realize this and if, by chance, McCrimmon doesn’t want trade away a Manitoban or if Gallant is not sure he wants him in his lineup he has got to lay down the law. Can’t have another Erat on my resume boys.

Pirate Deadpool

Mar 3, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
Golden Knights would rue trading Nikita Gusev
Nikita Gusev is exactly the kind of talent you make the room for every time you get the chance.

IOW, don't trade the goose.

I hate Lambert with a passion, but he's not wrong in this article. Why are we overvaluing Eakin and Reaves? Both players are likely gone after this season regardless of Gusev being signed or not.

Reactions: Boris Zubov

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
I hate Lambert with a passion, but he's not wrong in this article. Why are we overvaluing Eakin and Reaves? Both players are likely gone after this season regardless of Gusev being signed or not.

We don't really know if there is any valuation implications. It's negotiating, if you don't have space you can't spend it. Anyways until they sign Schuldt and Engo, the cap space needed to do a Gusev deal is still up for debate. Once those guys are done he can do a heres what I got meeting with his agent and find out if a deal can really be done. Don't forget it goes both ways, no one knows if Gusev even wants to be a Knight. If the goal is to get traded somewhere else with more cap available and a surer path to a top six spot, this is how you would negotiate from his side.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad