Confirmed with Link: Gusev traded to Devils for picks 2020 3rd; 2021 2nd

Brazen331

Jul 18, 2018
I consider Vegas to be one of the more skilled teams in the league. With or without Gusev.
I don't know about that. I consider Vegas a work-hard, grinder team that wears you down as the game progresses with a little skill. Marchessault epitomizes Vegas to me, undersized, underdog, effort makes up for what he was not born with.

Actually, when you consider the defensive abilities of Vegas' forward group I think you're right. I think they are one of the more skilled groups in that aspect.

That's why it is so stupid to give up Gusev to hold on to your grinders. Vegas does not have anyone as skilled as Gusev currently on the team.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vegas Mac

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
I don't know about that. I consider Vegas a work-hard, grinder team that wears you down as the game progresses with a little skill. Marchessault epitomizes Vegas to me, undersized, underdog, effort makes up for what he was not born with.

Actually, when you consider the defensive abilities of Vegas' forward group I think you're right. I think they are one of the more skilled groups in that aspect.

That's why it is so stupid to give up Gusev to hold on to your grinders. Vegas does not have anyone as skilled as Gusev currently on the team.
I'm not sure where I'd put us. At our best, we are a tenacious, hard working, heavy forechecking team, with lots of two way forwards, and the skill to get things done. I really think we'll miss Bellemares forechecking, hopefully Nosek can step up to the plate and keep that going. I think we struggle a bit in the hockey smarts department or maybe don't trust our instincts enough, we seemed to shoot when we should have passed, and passed when we should have shot and were not nearly mobile enough as the powerplay often showed.

Reactions: ChanceVegas

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
For some reason I had thought Reavo had signed a 3 year contract, since it's the last year of his contract I'd be much more inclined to deal him and replace him with Roy(or play Roy at 4C and replace him with Nosek).

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
For some reason I had thought Reavo had signed a 3 year contract, since it's the last year of his contract I'd be much more inclined to deal him and replace him with Roy(or play Roy at 4C and replace him with Nosek).

The reason his salary is so high is that VGK matched a competing 3 year offer with a 2 year, same total compensation offer.

Vegas Mac

Golden Shellback
Jun 26, 2015
I'm not sure where I'd put us. At our best, we are a tenacious, hard working, heavy forechecking team, with lots of two way forwards, and the skill to get things done. I really think we'll miss Bellemares forechecking, hopefully Nosek can step up to the plate and keep that going. I think we struggle a bit in the hockey smarts department or maybe don't trust our instincts enough, we seemed to shoot when we should have passed, and passed when we should have shot and were not nearly mobile enough as the powerplay often showed.

I think we're right around that top third, somewhere around 10th. And keep in mind that when a team plays the style of hockey that Vegas plays where defensive responsibilities are expected to be upheld, it has a bit of an adverse effect on the offensive side. You could bring in a coach who loosens things up and gets us more scoring from this same exact roster, however we would lose more of course.

Knights have some excellent talent. And more is incoming this season with Hague on the blueline (he will win a job this camp and teams are going to feel him), and Glass (he might be a midseason call-up but this will be the year he arrives). Hague in particular, though, has an enormous ceiling IMO.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
The Leafs would have all kinds of cap space once NYI offersheets Marner. Maybe some conditional 1sts for Gusev?

Jayan

NYR fanatic
Jul 6, 2012
Would u guys want Shattenkirk at 50% retained + prospect for Gusev?

Jayan

NYR fanatic
Jul 6, 2012
Unless that prospect is Kakko, no thanks on Shattenkirk at 3.325m. If they had to cap space to take that, they could afford Gusev.

Well they need a Dman not a Winger at 4m. And unless they want a Dman on an ELC, around 3m for a Veteran isnt that bad.

None-roster prospect or pick could be added.

Btw, Leafs need D also, stop looking for more offense.

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
Would u guys want Shattenkirk at 50% retained + prospect for Gusev?

Well they need a Dman not a Winger at 4m. And unless they want a Dman on an ELC, around 3m for a Veteran isnt that bad.

None-roster prospect or pick could be added.

Btw, Leafs need D also, stop looking for more offense.

The entire league already turned down Gorton when he offered Shatty at 50% retained. His value is just about zero right about now. As was said above, Vegas would rather pay Gusev 3.5m than pay a broken down Shatty anything.

Last edited:

Boris Zubov

May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast

I think you're mistaking the '17-'18 Knights for the team we saw last year. The big reason for their inconsistent play is they were never able to establish that forecheck for long periods of time. Losing the misfits identity & a few guys from that team, plus the Finals hangover & saddled with unreal expectations set the '18-'19 team up for a giant let down. They were consistently inconsistent the entire season, plus they didn't work nearly as hard as they did in the first year.

Hopefully with the way the season ended, they'll have some extra motivation fueling their desire. We're definitely more talented up front than we've ever been, but the D will tell the story. Gallant needs to drill it into them to bring their lunchpail attitude every single night.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nevada Jones

Brazen331

Jul 18, 2018

I’m sure McCrimmon’s plan is to sign Reaves again to a cheaper deal after this term ends.

If the choice is to sign Gusev or keep Reaves and then give him another 2-year contract at a reduced rate, I think they would choose the latter.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
I’m sure McCrimmon’s plan is to sign Reaves again to a cheaper deal after this term ends.

If the choice is to sign Gusev or keep Reaves and then give him another 2-year contract at a reduced rate, I think they would choose the latter.

Trade a player who is probably at least as good as our current top forwards to keep Reaves?

I think if we are that in need of having Reaves on the team, give up a 2nd to a team so they can buy him out (925k cap hit 2 seasons) and re-sign him for 925k. He makes the same money and another team gets a 2nd in order to have a 925k cap hit for two seasons. We get Reaves at 925k.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Please don't remind me about the TWO POINT SEVEN FIVE

Where are you seeing this?

There was all kinds of chatter yesterday about NYI presenting him with a 12.5m x 7 offer sheet, but apparently he turned it down. He wants 3 years or 5 years.

Buffalo just signed Mojo for 4.5m x 2. That's in the Gusev ballpark, so I'm guessing they were in but now they out.

Boris Zubov

May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
Please don't remind me about the TWO POINT SEVEN FIVE

There was all kinds of chatter yesterday about NYI presenting him with a 12.5m x 7 offer sheet, but apparently he turned it down. He wants 3 years or 5 years.

Buffalo just signed Mojo for 4.5m x 2. That's in the Gusev ballpark, so I'm guessing they were in but now they out.

They f***ed up & gave Bellemare's money to Reaves. They could've signed them both for less than that total. If Reaves supposedly had an offer that high, we should've let him walk.

I googled the Marner/Islanders info after you posted but I didn't see much. 2-3 hours later I started seeing some stuff about it. You had it first. MGK is our HF insider!

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
They ****ed up & gave Bellemare's money to Reaves. They could've signed them both for less than that total. If Reaves supposedly had an offer that high, we should've let him walk.

I googled the Marner/Islanders info after you posted but I didn't see much. 2-3 hours later I started seeing some stuff about it. You had it first. MGK is our HF insider!

Nah I just saw it in the Marner thread. :oops:

Reactions: Boris Zubov

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
6,300,000. 6.3M.

Remove Holden, & either trade Clarkson or put him on LTIR and we have that cap hit available for 2 dmen, Engo, one forward, and one backup goalie.

If Hague nor Coghlan makes the team, and we sign Schuldt, Subban, & Engo for 900k each with Whitecloud as the last dman, we have 2,675,000 available for our last forward. I expect all three to get lower cap hits(especially Engo if he wants performance bonuses), but as you noticed I went with the highest possible total for worst case scenario.

For reference, 2,750,000 is what Haula costs. Which is why I think the Gusev trading talk is getting overblown, and he won't get traded unless somebody makes the McGM's an offer they can't refuse.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad