Confirmed with Link: Gusev traded to Devils for picks 2020 3rd; 2021 2nd

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
The hype for this guy who has not played a single NHL game is outstanding. lol

Brazen331

Jul 18, 2018
Trading Gusev would be a travesty, plain and simple. I would hope they make whatever team they trade him to take Holden and his entire contract as well.

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
I'm on the fence about this. Paying a guy $4-$5 million when he hasn't take a shift in North America is risky, given our Cap predicament. If you can get a solid D man in return, it might be worth pulling the trigger.

Obviously it would suck watching him turn into a star on another roster. (Unless it's the Rangers :laugh:)

Reactions: mrjiggyfly

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
Trading Gusev would be a travesty, plain and simple. I would hope they make whatever team they trade him to take Holden and his entire contract as well.

Taking Holden's contract doesn't really accomplish much now unless they also find a partner to take Clarkson's, or if they are taking back an NHL player with a cap hit similar or slightly greater than Holden's.

I don't think its a travesty, its just monetizing an asset. I'm fine with it if the negotiations are that off. They took on Gusev's rights as a total shot in the dark, to get any value now is more than they expected when his rights were just a throw in to a deal. Besides none of us knows all the details. I'm sure Gusev has been getting fed a lot of ideas by his agent about what he could get paid and where he might be able to play. He may never have wanted to play in Vegas and just went the route he did to get into the NHL. Or he might have been told you'll get paid a certain amount, which was enough to make him say ok I'll leave the KHL for that.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Taking Holden's contract doesn't really accomplish much now unless they also find a partner to take Clarkson's, or if they are taking back an NHL player with a cap hit similar or slightly greater than Holden's.

I don't think its a travesty, its just monetizing an asset. I'm fine with it if the negotiations are that off. They took on Gusev's rights as a total shot in the dark, to get any value now is more than they expected when his rights were just a throw in to a deal. Besides none of us knows all the details. I'm sure Gusev has been getting fed a lot of ideas by his agent about what he could get paid and where he might be able to play. He may never have wanted to play in Vegas and just went the route he did to get into the NHL. Or he might have been told you'll get paid a certain amount, which was enough to make him say ok I'll leave the KHL for that.

It is terrible asset management unless the return is good. He had to come to Vegas if he ever wanted to play in the NHL and had to sign an ELC. They could have taken that this season and fit him easily the next season. He could have stayed in the KHL this season and then we figure out the money. If the return is good then fine, if it is low value then the team wasted an asset.

Reactions: BattleBorn

Brazen331

Jul 18, 2018
My problem with trading Gusev is that we are an expansion team in it’s 3rd year and the highest draft pick we have had is a #6 and hopefully it will stay that way in the foreseeable future.

How many chances do we have to acquire a star player, especially with all this long-term cap money locked up? I think it would be a misuse of resources to not gamble on the ceiling here. I would rather find out what the unknown is with Gusev than play it safe and go with what we already know in say Eakin, for example. But I do think Eakin would have a bit of a home-town edge if a decision came down to this.

That said, if a trade is inevitable, I’d like a stud defensive prospect.

Brazen331

Jul 18, 2018
Love both those prospects. We would probably have to add a 1st to account for the age difference but taking in our positional strengths, the organization could use a puck-moving defender and a stud goalie prospect more than a LW.

Reactions: hangman005

Boris Zubov

May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
Love both those prospects. We would probably have to add a 1st to account for the age difference but taking in our positional strengths, the organization could use a puck-moving defender and a stud goalie prospect more than a LW.

This is a win now team. A goalie prospect does nothing for us in the short term. We need help on D, now & for the future. When Flower is ready to call it quits, a competent starter in goal is the easiest position to fill on the roster.

Brannstrom is a pipe dream. No way is Ottawa taking on Gusev & his 4.5 M salary demands. Melnyk isn't spending a dime more than he has to. They're not sniffing the playoffs with or without Gusev.

Reactions: derriko

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018

Unless they were also trading the Clarkson contract a 1st is too steep. Gusev is a prospect that projects as a possible superstar but can play now. Knight and Brannstrom are 1st round picks themselves, adding a 1st a team would have to take Gusev, Clarkson and a 1st for Brannstrom/Knight and a pick.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
This is a win now team. A goalie prospect does nothing for us in the short term. We need help on D, now & for the future. When Flower is ready to call it quits, a competent starter in goal is the easiest position to fill on the roster.

Brannstrom is a pipe dream. No way is Ottawa taking on Gusev & his 4.5 M salary demands. Melnyk isn't spending a dime more than he has to. They're not sniffing the playoffs with or without Gusev.

I think if we trade Gusev we are not a better team than last season, maybe slightly worse. (Better than the team that started the season but without as good prospects and up against the cap.)

So if he were to be traded I think it would have to be for a Brannstrom type of player. Maybe not him, it was more a joke, but a similar quality defensive prospect.

Brazen331

Jul 18, 2018
Exactly. If we trade Gusev we are a slightly worse team than we were at the end of last year.

Boris Zubov

May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
We're already worse than we were last year. Our D is now reliant on a combination of either Holden, Merill, or Engellend...or 1 of 3 rookies, to play 3 spots. That's frightening.

Plus we lost our checking C & one of our best PKers in Bellmare.

Flower needs to have a bounce back year & we're still going to have to win a lot of games 6-5.

Last edited:

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
Brännström isn't coming back, even with a Gusev going the other way. And if it isn't him we don't need a dman.

So with that known: Only way I would be ok with trading Gusev would be getting back a top-10 pick in 2020 or a young, cost-controlled winger like Bratt or Bemström. With a top-10 pick we can get Askarov if we want a goalie who's on par with Knight if we want to.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Exactly. If we trade Gusev we are a slightly worse team than we were at the end of last year.
I think you guys are overstating how good Miller, Carpenter, and Bellemare are.

You have to keep in mind that Tuch and Theodore still have room to grow, our shooting percentage last year was in the toilet. Hague may not be as good as Miller out of the gate but given that Miller was inconsistent as hell, he's not gonna be that much worse. Also Patches and Stastny spent a lot of last year injured. I think the worst thing you can say is we're only gonna be slightly worse, but I think when you account for the opportunity to be healthier and our young guys developing more, even without Gusev the reality is we didn't get any better or any worse. A lot of that hinges on Fleury's play but things could be a lot worse.

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
cWknHqg.png

Is what I hope happens if we do trade the Goose. if we want to buff up our defense or backup goalie during the TDL, we trade Eakin and bring up Glass, who should be ready for 3C by then.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
I think you guys are overstating how good Miller, Carpenter, and Bellemare are.

You have to keep in mind that Tuch and Theodore still have room to grow, our shooting percentage last year was in the toilet. Hague may not be as good as Miller out of the gate but given that Miller was inconsistent as hell, he's not gonna be that much worse. Also Patches and Stastny spent a lot of last year injured. I think the worst thing you can say is we're only gonna be slightly worse, but I think when you account for the opportunity to be healthier and our young guys developing more, even without Gusev the reality is we didn't get any better or any worse. A lot of that hinges on Fleury's play but things could be a lot worse.

We were also the 16th best team though. It isn't a case of us setting the league alight. We were pretty mediocre, all things considered, and if we still look mediocre that is not a good sign for a team that is supposedly all in on now.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
cWknHqg.png

Is what I hope happens if we do trade the Goose. if we want to buff up our defense or backup goalie during the TDL, we trade Eakin and bring up Glass, who should be ready for 3C by then.

Subban at 700k? That's less than his qualifying offer. No way he takes less than 1 million IMO.

And if they couldn't get Nosek under 1m, I doubt they can bring back Engelland for league minimum. If they could he'd be signed by now. Probably looking at 1.25m.

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
Subban at 700k? That's less than his qualifying offer. No way he takes less than 1 million IMO.
Sure, give him 1M. Hadn't seen what his QO was at yet. However, if he wants more than some 100k over 1M then bye Subban, and hello Dansk.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
We were also the 16th best team though. It isn't a case of us setting the league alight. We were pretty mediocre, all things considered, and if we still look mediocre that is not a good sign for a team that is supposedly all in on now.
We were 16th because of a long string of losses before we acquired Stone. If you're considering all things you have to consider our unsustainably low shooting percentage and how well our numbers skyrocketed in all regards once we got Stone and got healthier. We went into the playoffs considered by many to one of the West's top contenders. We can ponder all we want about how much of our losses were because of the call or because of the penalty kill, or the defense and the late surge of strong play by Jones, the point is it was a close series against a team that went very deep in the playoffs.

As far as I'm concerned, so long as Fleury can stop a puck, we're still a force in the West.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad