Confirmed with Link: Gusev traded to Devils for picks 2020 3rd; 2021 2nd

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
I'm not reading too much into this....Of course, if he can't see light at the end of the NHL tunnel, he needs to go back to KHL. A year off in pro sports can ruin a career.

I'm starting to think Gusev will actually cave and sign for 2m. He's potentially leaving a lot of money on the table by not coming over to prove himself.

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
I'm starting to think Gusev will actually cave and sign for 2m. He's potentially leaving a lot of money on the table by not coming over to prove himself.

At this point, even if he signs for $2M, it's looking like we need to shed one more salary.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
They could either waive Holden to bury 1.075m of his 2.2m and have a 22 man roster
or trade him

Or as Sinbin Ken pointed out, they could put him on LTIR if he's willing to play along and there's $2.2m to use.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Or as Sinbin Ken pointed out, they could put him on LTIR if he's willing to play along and there's $2.2m to use.

Ken comes up with some pretty ridiculous stuff from time to time. If they even thought about doing that, he should file a grievance with the NHLPA and have his agent put them on blast. You don't put a 32yo player without injury history on 'Robidas island'.

Brazen331

Jul 18, 2018
I'd give up a 3rd to offload him. That's probably why I'm not a GM :laugh:

Would not be a bad move at all. Draft picks are assets, that's why you try to acquire as many as possible. Moving salary for a contending team is every bit as valuable as prospect with 50/50 or less than that prospects of making the NHL.

I got a feeling they are going to work something out with Gusev. Vegas burned his ELC scratching his back so he needs to return the favor. Vegas should offer him a little bit more on a 2-year deal. He will be squarely in his prime when he turns UFA and can cash in big then if he proves himself.

McCombo

Nov 16, 2013
Of course you would like to keep Gusev, but if a trade happens how you would feel about Puljujärvi + 2nd rd pick as a return?

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia

What money? He'll get probably around 3M euro in the KHL with 13% taxation (so the same $4M, he asks for) and then come next year as UFA.

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
What money? He'll get probably around 3M euro in the KHL with 13% taxation (so the same $4M, he asks for) and then come next year as UFA.
Nevermind the money bit which I think he wouldn't get if looking at salaries this past season, I doubt Ska would agree on a 1 year contract.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018

He has to play for Vegas or be traded by Vegas to ever play in the NHL. No leverage for him.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Nevermind the money bit which I think he wouldn't get if looking at salaries this past season, I doubt Ska would agree on a 1 year contract.

He played for pretty small money, while SKA paid a lot to Datsyuk and Kovi, and Gusev was a superior player, than both of them. So SKA owns him kinda a moral debt, and they will pay, especially considering it's the last season with soft salary cap.

Brazen331

Jul 18, 2018
He played for pretty small money, while SKA paid a lot to Datsyuk and Kovi, and Gusev was a superior player, than both of them. So SKA owns him kinda a moral debt, and they will pay, especially considering it's the last season with soft salary cap.

You are just obsessed with the notion that Gusev cannot sign with Vegas. Sorry to disappoint you dude, but Vegas has all the leverage.

He also does want to play here. Chances are, he will suit up for Vegas this year.

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
He hasn't played an NHL game and there is no KHL agreement so he is still tied to the team even after that.
He has signed an ELC, so he'll be a UFA in 1 year if he goes back to the K.

The ELC has come back to bite both parties involved.

Not that I think he'll go back to Europe, would be most puzzling move in this whole ordeal.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
He has signed an ELC, so he'll be a UFA in 1 year if he goes back to the K.

The ELC has come back to bite both parties involved.

Not that I think he'll go back to Europe, would be most puzzling move in this whole ordeal.

He is an RFA and Vegas has qualified him (without him playing a game ever in the NHL), without an agreement with the KHL, Vegas owns his rights if he ever wants to come back, is what I have been told. It isn't the same as a college FA or a player from a league with an agreement with the NHL.

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
He is an RFA and Vegas has qualified him (without him playing a game ever in the NHL), without an agreement with the KHL, Vegas owns his rights if he ever wants to come back, is what I have been told. It isn't the same as a college FA or a player from a league with an agreement with the NHL.
That'd be the case if he had never signed an ELC.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
I'm starting to think he'll take that 2m offer. Just because his Russian agent is bluffing about going back to the KHL, doesn't mean he would or that his NA agent is saying the same thing.

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
I'm starting to think he'll take that 2m offer. Just because his Russian agent is bluffing about going back to the KHL, doesn't mean he would or that his NA agent is saying the same thing.
We can meet in the middle at 3m. If he really wants 4m then he'll most likely have to wait until start of the season to see if Glass is ready for 3C duty by then, alternatively if somebody like Roy is ready to replace Reaves.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
We can meet in the middle at 3m. If he really wants 4m then he'll most likely have to wait until start of the season to see if Glass is ready for 3C duty by then, alternatively if somebody like Roy is ready to replace Reaves.

KHL season starts earlier than NHL so I would imagine this will come to a head in the next 2-3 weeks.

Reactions: derriko

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad