Confirmed with Link: Gusev traded to Devils for picks 2020 3rd; 2021 2nd

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
You are just obsessed with the notion that Gusev cannot sign with Vegas. Sorry to disappoint you dude, but Vegas has all the leverage.

He also does want to play here. Chances are, he will suit up for Vegas this year.

Lol, I'm not obsessed with anything, I'm actually all for it. It's Vegas, who doesn't wanna sign him on his terms, and I'm just saying, Gusev has enough leverages to tell the team, it's either $4M or good bye.

Brazen331

Jul 18, 2018
Lol, I'm not obsessed with anything, I'm actually all for it. It's Vegas, who doesn't wanna sign him on his terms, and I'm just saying, Gusev has enough leverages to tell the team, it's either $4M or good bye.

So if you want to consider 'pay me what I want' or I go back to the KHL and never play in the NHL as having leverage, OK I guess. He has to go through Vegas if he want to play in the NHL, no exceptions.

Huck Cheever

Sep 27, 2018
So if you want to consider 'pay me what I want' or I go back to the KHL and never play in the NHL as having leverage, OK I guess. He has to go through Vegas if he want to play in the NHL, no exceptions.
Not if he signs 1 year in the KHL buddy,

Then Gusev is a UFA and can sign anywhere

Reactions: IceNeophyte

Huck Cheever

Sep 27, 2018
People are assuming this based on other players but a KHL player and an RFA who has never played an NHL game may not qualify as there is no agreement between the leagues.

Gusev is over 27 years old next year, you follow me?

If you read the CBA it will inform you of UFA rights for players, you understand me?

Brazen331

Jul 18, 2018
People are assuming this based on other players but a KHL player and an RFA who has never played an NHL game may not qualify as there is no agreement between the leagues.

Exactly. Vegas still owns Shipachev's rights, don't they? I'm pretty sure they do. He can't just sign with any NHL team, same with Gusev if he goes back.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Gusev and Shipachyov would be UFAs at the end of their respective KHL deals.

On a UFA deal the first place Gusev would look to is Vegas...the place he looked for houses, the practice facilities he's trained in, the fanbase he's gotten to know. The team he wants to re-sign with right now.

Huck Cheever

Sep 27, 2018
Exactly. Vegas still owns Shipachev's rights, don't they? I'm pretty sure they do. He can't just sign with any NHL team, same with Gusev if he goes back.
Article 10, group 3 free agents. Any player who is 27 by June 30th. Read that plz

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Gusev is over 27 years old next year, you follow me?

If you read the CBA it will inform you of UFA rights for players, you understand me?

Might not matter if the leagues have no agreement in this case as he has never actually played a game in the NHL, which you don't seem to want to understand.

Enough with the condescension also, it isn't funny, and doesn't make me think you know more than you really do.

Huck Cheever

Sep 27, 2018
Might not matter if the leagues have no agreement in this case as he has never actually played a game in the NHL, which you don't seem to want to understand.

Enough with the condescension also, it isn't funny, and doesn't make me think you know more than you really do.

Reading and comprehending the cba might be hard but here it is,

"Any Player who either has seven (7) Accrued Seasons or is 27 years of age
or older as of June 30 of the end of a League Year, shall, if his most recent
SPC has expired, with such expiry occurring either as of June 30 of such
League Year or June 30 of any prior League Year, become an Unrestricted
Free Agent. Such Player shall be completely free to negotiate and sign an
SPC with any Club, and any Club shall be completely free to negotiate and
sign an SPC with such Player, without penalty or restriction, or being
subject to any Right of First Refusal, Draft Choice Compensation or any
other compensation or equalization obligation of any kind."

Huck Cheever

Sep 27, 2018
Gusev does not necessarily apply. He can not be offer sheeted. So I would assume that the rest of you examples do not apply to him.

here's the CBA Article 10 on group 3 free agents,

Last edited by a moderator:

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018

He would NOT have been eligible to sign anywhere but with us without question had we not signed his ELC last season or this season, even though he would be 27, so there are exceptions and he may still fall under it as he still wouldn't have played a game in the NHL.

A player drafted to the NHL but who goes to the KHL (a league the NHL has no agreement with) are in a different category.

Last edited by a moderator:

Huck Cheever

Sep 27, 2018
He would NOT have been eligible to sign anywhere but with us without question had we not signed his ELC last season or this season, even though he would be 27, so there are exceptions and he may still fall under it as he still wouldn't have played a game in the NHL.

A player drafted to the NHL but who goes to the KHL (a league the NHL has no agreement with) are in a different category.
Where under the cba did you make this assumption from?

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
So capologists, if Gusev took every last drop of cap space at the start of the season, how much would his contract be for right now?

If Holden is moved and replaced by one of the rookie defenseman making 700-800k, thats roughly another 1.5 million that could be added to the contract right?

Would roughly 3.5 million AAV be feasible in the second scenario?

I think theres a good chance one of Schuldt, Hague, Whitecloud, or even Coughlan could become a serviceable defender I think.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
So capologists, if Gusev took every last drop of cap space at the start of the season, how much would his contract be for right now?

If Holden is moved and replaced by one of the rookie defenseman making 700-800k, thats roughly another 1.5 million that could be added to the contract right?

Would roughly 3.5 million AAV be feasible in the second scenario?

I think theres a good chance one of Schuldt, Hague, Whitecloud, or even Coughlan could become a serviceable defender I think.

Trick question because you also have to state how many players would be on the opening roster and who they all would be. Right now they have $1.025m. If they trade Holden for non-NHL assets then that's $3.225 less whatever two likely rookies cost. Every one has a slightly different AAV so your guess could end up being a few hundred thousand off. Wild guess it feels like trading Holden and keeping a roster of 23 opening night leads to about $1.8m left to sign Gusev. Go with a roster of 22 and its $2.5m, but I don't think they have any intention of going a spot short.

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
Trick question because you also have to state how many players would be on the opening roster and who they all would be. Right now they have $1.025m. If they trade Holden for non-NHL assets then that's $3.225 less whatever two likely rookies cost. Every one has a slightly different AAV so your guess could end up being a few hundred thousand off. Wild guess it feels like trading Holden and keeping a roster of 23 opening night leads to about $1.8m left to sign Gusev. Go with a roster of 22 and its $2.5m, but I don't think they have any intention of going a spot short.

Oh man thats way worse than I thought. I thought it would be easier for Vegas to get 3 mil in space and meet Gusev in the middle.

Looks like the only way to do that would be to move Eakin and Holden and replace Eakin with Glass and literally anyone for Holden.

Brazen331

Jul 18, 2018
I know C depth could be a problem this year if Eakin is moved. However, if the plan always was to move on from him after this season, you may as well do it now.

It seems to me that 2 years of Gusev should be better than 1 of Eakin. And if McPhee didn’t overpay guys like Reaves and Fleury, perhaps they could have fit them both in this year?

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
I know C depth could be a problem this year if Eakin is moved. However, if the plan always was to move on from him after this season, you may as well do it now.

It seems to me that 2 years of Gusev should be better than 1 of Eakin. And if McPhee didn’t overpay guys like Reaves and Fleury, perhaps they could have fit them both in this year?

I think Eakin had a great season but I wouldn't expect even the same production from him.

He got 22 goals and 19 assists while getting games of top 6 minutes and PP time. He wouldn't get as much of that so I think he would revert back to 15-18 goals, 15-18 assists. His real value would be on the PK and faceoffs.

I understand Glass and Roy as center replacements for Eakin and Bellemare might be a downgrade at first but if they get a full season of play then they might be able to play their best in the playoffs and be more useful than those guys were for us.

Glass would be helped having Gusev and Tuch/Smith on his third line. Roy may be able to replace Bellemare with Carrier, Reaves and Nosek to help him.

Glass probably forces his way on the roster before the end of the season anyway so I think keeping Eakin and trading Gusev for a few 2nds would really look bad. They would not have to pay someone to take Eakin, even if they wouldn't get more than a low pick or a player similar to Roy in a trade.

Brazen331

Jul 18, 2018
I think Eakin had a great season but I wouldn't expect even the same production from him.

He got 22 goals and 19 assists while getting games of top 6 minutes and PP time. He wouldn't get as much of that so I think he would revert back to 15-18 goals, 15-18 assists. His real value would be on the PK and faceoffs.

I understand Glass and Roy as center replacements for Eakin and Bellemare might be a downgrade at first but if they get a full season of play then they might be able to play their best in the playoffs and be more useful than those guys were for us.

Glass would be helped having Gusev and Tuch/Smith on his third line. Roy may be able to replace Bellemare with Carrier, Reaves and Nosek to help him.

Glass probably forces his way on the roster before the end of the season anyway so I think keeping Eakin and trading Gusev for a few 2nds would really look bad. They would not have to pay someone to take Eakin, even if they wouldn't get more than a low pick or a player similar to Roy in a trade.

In that scenario, I would not mind Glass and Roy being the bottom 6 Cs, although I do think Nosek will C the 4th line.

Is it just me or would a 3rd line of Gusev-Glass-Tuch really have the potential to pop? I want to see that. That would make for an extremely sick top 9.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
In that scenario, I would not mind Glass and Roy being the bottom 6 Cs, although I do think Nosek will C the 4th line.

Is it just me or would a 3rd line of Gusev-Glass-Tuch really have the potential to pop? I want to see that. That would make for an extremely sick top 9.

No I think that 3rd line is what everyone is getting excited for. Tuch never looked at his best offensively with Eakin. Cody can put up some points, but he definitely feels best with less offensive talented guys although he might be helpful in cleaning up their misses in their own end. And that's a real question/concern with Gusev, can he be a quality player in his own end in the NHL? We know the team is focused on two way play, so it might be the real hold up on making the deal needed to get Gusev signed. Upstairs and on the bench there might be a thought that if you get Gusev, you really need Eakin to make sure the third line doesn't give up as much as they score.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain

Gusev would be a Group 3 UFA because he has played under a SPC in the NHL that expired. Once he's done that it doesn't matter whether he plays in the KHL again, or anywhere else. He will become a UFA at age 27.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Gusev would be a Group 3 UFA because he has played under a SPC in the NHL that expired. Once he's done that it doesn't matter whether he plays in the KHL again, or anywhere else. He will become a UFA at age 27.

Yeah, I was not sure if the ELC changed his situation or not. Just pointing out it was a debate I saw cap and CBA people argue on other forums. It makes that decision to sign that last season even more puzzling.

I don't think going to the KHL would be good for him, however, as he would get no more money this season and then someone would still want him to sign a 2 year deal for a bit less as he would still be unproven in the NHL, and he may not be coming off a KHL record setting season, and he would be a year older when he would hit a real UFA for him after proving himself. I think he would be a few days shy of 30 after that 2 year deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad