Gulutz-end

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I think Gully had that planned to an extent. Maybe not throwing a stick, but losing it in general. I think he was feeling pressure himself and knew he needed to make a statement. I 100% agree with Meth that the timing could not have been better.
That's exactly what I am suggesting, I am not saying he was running off a script, but I think he had it in his head that if there was anything negative in that practice he was going to create a scene to get their attention.

Todd from Leduc

Connor “The Next Great One” McDavid
Nov 15, 2017
Leduc
Oilers fan here but I watch a lot of other games of the other Canadian teams. It's nice to see that T-Mac is not the only coach who throws away points in the garbage with poor matchups and horrible special teams.

I can think of at least 6-8 points Glen Gulutsan has directly cost your team by overplaying the fourth line players, playing them late in the game or when you're behind or even in OT! Why does the fan base tolerate these obvious mistakes? At least T-Mac is feeling the pressure. Gulutsan is a fan favourite with his stick throwing!

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
Flames fans have put up with mediocrity for so long that he seems good. It's easy to look good when the organization's benchmark for success is "better than the Oilers".

GG is taking an above average team to an average finish by doing a below average job coaching. He's neutered the offensive potential of the team and turned it into a sucky grindfest. Maybe the players actually don't have any skill but I remember them being better than this.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Gully has some really good qualities to him and some not so good ones, player usage is one of them. It’s really that simple.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Oilers fan here but I watch a lot of other games of the other Canadian teams. It's nice to see that T-Mac is not the only coach who throws away points in the garbage with poor matchups and horrible special teams.

I can think of at least 6-8 points Glen Gulutsan has directly cost your team by overplaying the fourth line players, playing them late in the game or when you're behind or even in OT! Why does the fan base tolerate these obvious mistakes? At least T-Mac is feeling the pressure. Gulutsan is a fan favourite with his stick throwing!

Disagree with fans tolerating him. I would say 95% of Flames fans wanted him gone before the winning streak. A nice winning streak can make things look better than they are, but he still did stupid things when we were winning, like continue to playing the 4th line with the 3rd pairing, the powerplay still sucked ass, Brouwer was still on the 2nd line when literally anyone else should have been put there (well, except Lazar and Stajan).

I still want him gone. He's had enough experience now that he shouldn't be making stupid simple mistakes that he still makes. And even though Cameron is in charge of the PP, Gulutzan is still the HEAD coach and should be overriding Cameron's sheer stupidity.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Buffalo absolutely demolishing the Oilers tonight should calm the nerves a little bit.

Regardless, the concept that Gulutzan should be blamed for last night's loss is laughable. What exactly did the players do last night to convince you they would've won if not for our coach? When the Flames play well but lose because of a coaching decision, that's another matter. But that was not the case last night.

Reactions: Cyrano

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Disagree with fans tolerating him. I would say 95% of Flames fans wanted him gone before the winning streak. A nice winning streak can make things look better than they are, but he still did stupid things when we were winning, like continue to playing the 4th line with the 3rd pairing, the powerplay still sucked ass, Brouwer was still on the 2nd line when literally anyone else should have been put there (well, except Lazar and Stajan).

I still want him gone. He's had enough experience now that he shouldn't be making stupid simple mistakes that he still makes. And even though Cameron is in charge of the PP, Gulutzan is still the HEAD coach and should be overriding Cameron's sheer stupidity.

giphy.gif

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
Lose 2 games and suddenly everyone wants to fire Gulutzan again regardless of the fact that we are 7-1-2 in our last 10. You guys crack me up.

crazyfisherman

Sharangovich fanboy
Sep 22, 2012
Lose 2 games and suddenly everyone wants to fire Gulutzan again regardless of the fact that we are 7-1-2 in our last 10. You guys crack me up.
Should be 9-1-0 :sarcasm:
But we cant be pissing points away to teams below us anymore. There are only so many losses to oilers and teams like buffalo a fan can take. I think most feel hes not getting the most out of his players, a win streak doesnt change that.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
I wouldn't say the "fire Gultuzan" bandwagon is back in full force but his tenure so far has consisted of long stretches of mediocrity, dropping points against inferior teams at home punctuated by short periods where the team sets the world on fire. It's totally fair to assume this team is on track to revert back to form which is frustrating.

This 7 game streak didn't put us firmly in a playoff spot. It just caught us up to the rat race. We could fall out at anytime again, pretty quickly.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I'm not for firing Glen, because I like his potential. His love of the fourth line and plug Vets is just what drives me up the wall.
Just very questionable use.

Reactions: snipetype

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I still think he’s a good coach. 5 on 5 the Flames are a good team. The PP is so stale and boring. It’s actually embarrassing how bad we are on the PP.

Our organization operates like a tyke hockey team. Wouldn’t want to hurt Brouwer’s feelings. The guy has 18 million reasons to shut his mouth and play at most 8 minutes on the 4th line.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
Can't fire him now based on the tight race we are in. But, I'm all for canning him in the off season. Honestly, our last game broke me. #OTGATE will forever be etched in my memory as one of the most horrendous coaching decisions ever, I want him gone...barring a lengthy playoff run and a much improved PP.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Remember when we had a feast of crow last season when Gully tweaked his system and we went on a run? Is there a feast for this season now that the team seems to be more comfortable with this seasons new system?

I think many fans forget this season is a totally new system than last season. A reset button was done to the system include Smith's puck moving abilities. No one including the vets knew the system and it was horribly apparent at the beginning of the season.

I'm not totally sold on Gully, but I also think some of the criticism against him is highly unfair.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Remember when we had a feast of crow last season when Gully tweaked his system and we went on a run? Is there a feast for this season now that the team seems to be more comfortable with this seasons new system?

I think many fans forget this season is a totally new system than last season. A reset button was done to the system include Smith's puck moving abilities. No one including the vets knew the system and it was horribly apparent at the beginning of the season.

I'm not totally sold on Gully, but I also think some of the criticism against him is highly unfair.
The thing about how long it takes for our players to "adapt to the system" is what irks me the most about the GG era. You look at a team like Vegas, with players that essentially had no history of playing together, and how fast they took off. Is it the coach? Are their core players more driven? Both?

Why does it take ~40 games for our team to wake up and "play to the system"? Why does adding a small wrinkle to the fold like Smith and Hamonic disrupt everything from the end of last season for so long? There's just not enough accountability on the part of GG and the players. And this team will never take a step forward until it deviates from this tedious pattern they always seem to follow by cutting out the same mistakes they're always making.

In my opinion, while our skaters have been putting up better stats on paper, their overall play has regressed. We've been completely propped up by Gaudreau and Smith (and Gio defensively). You put Elliott and Johnson in net with last season's Gaudreau and we'd be around where the Oilers are in the standings.

Last edited:
Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
The thing about how long it takes for our players to "adapt to the system" is what irks me the most about the GG era. You look at a team like Vegas, with players that essentially had no history of playing together, and how fast they took off. Is it the coach? Are their core players more driven? Both?

Why does it take ~40 games for our team to wake up and "play to the system"? Why does adding a small wrinkle to the fold like Smith and Hamonic disrupt everything from the end of last season for so long? There's just not enough accountability on the part of GG and the players. And this team will never take a step forward until it deviates from this tedious pattern they always seem to follow by cutting out the same mistakes they're always making.

In my opinion, while our skaters have been putting up better stats on paper, their overall play has regressed. We've been completely propped up by Gaudreau and Smith (and Gio defensively). You put Elliott and Johnson in net with last season's Gaudreau and we'd be around where the Oilers are in the standings.

It irked me as well, but based on my understanding:

Vegas GG's system is a somewhat simple and established system like Hartley's system. It's fluid, easy to learn and moreso requires effort to execute. You know what you're getting so it's a somewhat reliable outcome night to night. It may in the long run have issues due to a somewhat limited play book and high risk of injury, but it works well enough and is at least an entertaining style for a rebuild team.

IMO Calgary GG's system is a new concept hybrid system. It's not a basic "small wrinkle". The difference between Gully 1.0 and Gully 2.0 Smith edition is nearly 15-20ft difference in positioning. This is why we saw the lunacy where up to 3 players would end up bumping into one another early in the system.

Gully's system has facets of several different systems. We see elements of trap, cycle and rush, but this system isn't as fluid as any of the currently established systems. It is expected that this system is more versatile long term though. There are facets of the system which change based on the situation. Dmen for instance no longer default to collapsing in front of the net. They hold the blue line, keep players out at the perimeter, let opposing team shoot muffins at Smith... etc.

This system's also designed an element for player durability. This in theory be important in playoffs where many teams struggle with man games lost. However, the inconsistencies of this system bleed through. When the system works, it works quite well, but when it's not clicking, it really doesn't click.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
I dont know whatever "system" it is but it didnt work in Dallas also

Todd from Leduc

Connor “The Next Great One” McDavid
Nov 15, 2017
Leduc
I think Glen finishes out the season and is replaced. Let's be honest, even if the Flames squeak into the wildcard or heck even if they muscle in to win the division they do not have the identity, killer instinct (as Elliot Friedman has been quoted), character or intensity to win a playoff series and this all links back to Glen milquetoast Gulutsan, his lack of intensity and poor line selections.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I dont know whatever "system" it is but it didnt work in Dallas also

I'm not enough of a super nerd to go back and review Gully's coaching in Dallas. But I will say this. Due to the fact we have seen approximately 3 different coaching styles in approximately 18 months with Gully as a coach, I really doubt we are looking at the same style of coaching from Gully's Dallas days.

I think Glen finishes out the season and is replaced. Let's be honest, even if the Flames squeak into the wildcard or heck even if they muscle in to win the division they do not have the identity, killer instinct (as Elliot Friedman has been quoted), character or intensity to win a playoff series and this all links back to Glen milquetoast Gulutsan, his lack of intensity and poor line selections.

I don't have a crystal ball so I won't disagree with you. However, as I often mention, we are on Gully's 3rd system. The team technically started from scratch this season. I honestly think the lack of killer instinct is due to the team still learning the system and fine tuning things. Once they are more comfortable with the system, a killer instinct may develop.

Now, keep also in mind that I have a scary Calyotes theory. This is a theory where ownership will suddenly decide to go all budget team and emulate the lean days of the Phoenix Coyotes down to the management and try to squeeze something from barely anything. Gully may stay due to the theory he's paid peanuts. Or, Tippett may show up to be the man.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
To expand on my previous comment, I think Gulutzan knows the Xs and Os of the game quite well, he's a good tactician and I think he has a clear understanding and knowledge of that aspect of the game.

Where I think he needs help - and where I think an associate coach would be helpful - would be on the "intangibles" side of things. Stuff like player usage (wrong lines out at the wrong time) mental and time management of players - maybe calling a time out when the team is frazzled or "crumpling" and pulling obviously tired guys off the ice contrary to what they're saying. Equally frustrating is the attitude that going 0-0-4 is just as good as going 2-2 (recent radio interview). I don't see him as being a leader that the team actually wants to follow/listen to, but a "pal" that they want to hang out with. And generally just don't see the responses to the small nuances of the game that you would see a seasoned, "old school" coach do.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad