Gulutz-end

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
99% of fanbases hate their coaches' decision making and think they could do better. People like to overreact just like how 80% of this fanbase overreacted by saying Hartley was a great coach after we made the playoffs one season under him even though everyone in the "garbage stats" community knew the collapse the following season was inevitable.

Results tend to eventually balance themselves out and if the Flames keep playing the way they are (with good goaltending) then they're in great position as long as our PP figures its s*** out (even though it won't because Dave Cameron)

99% may think at some point hate their coaches decision making but I think overall if you as fans at least half are likely happy with their coach. As for Hartley I certainly was not part of the 80% he was a god awful coach each and every year he was here including the bogus Jack Adams year.

I don't see how they would be in great position as squeaking into the play-offs is not close to being in a great position, especially when it seems the biggest reason they will make it this year is the lack of good teams in their division.

This team isn't close to contending and while the roster is an issue the coaching decisions have been almost all wrong this year and the little control that GG has over that roster seems to have been horribly mismanaged at every step.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
I've said this one, and I'll say it again.

Gulutzan is not a terrible coach. He has his strengths. However, I don't think he's suited for this group. Calgary might make the playoffs a few times under him, but I don't see this group reaching their potential with him behind the bench.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
I've said this one, and I'll say it again.

Gulutzan is not a terrible coach. He has his strengths. However, I don't think he's suited for this group. Calgary might make the playoffs a few times under him, but I don't see this group reaching their potential with him behind the bench.

I will ask again based on what?

His NHL track record is very poor with two non-play-off seasons and one season in which his team squeeked into the play-offs and was throughly dominated in a 4 game sweep.

His time as an assistant was also very poor results in between HC gigs. His minor league coaching record is pretty meh as well.

Watching him in Calgary I really don't see anything that he does well as a HC and can point to numerous issues that he has- special teams. line combinations, ice time, guys he sits, line match-ups, special teams players etc. that are not just bad but flat out terrible.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
I will ask again based on what?

His NHL track record is very poor with two non-play-off seasons and one season in which his team squeeked into the play-offs and was throughly dominated in a 4 game sweep.

His time as an assistant was also very poor results in between HC gigs. His minor league coaching record is pretty meh as well.

Watching him in Calgary I really don't see anything that he does well as a HC and can point to numerous issues that he has- special teams. line combinations, ice time, guys he sits, line match-ups, special teams players etc. that are not just bad but flat out terrible.

Just my opinion here, but;

First year in Dallas: He took a mediocre roster and had them nearly make the playoffs.

Second year in Dallas: Again, very mediocre roster, played .500 though. Shortened season led to odd results.

First year in Calgary: Inconsistent team with mediocre goaltending, made the playoffs, and Calgary outplayed Anaheim for most of the series. Elliott collapsed.

I'm far from a fan of his, but the Flames could do worse. That being said, I still want him gone.

Reactions: Vali Maki Sushi

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Can't mediocre roster be used as an excuse for every coach that didn't have success in the NHL?

It seems the good coaches get stuff out of mediocre rosters.

I guess they could have my wife or someone else that knows nothing about hockey but based on no play-offs, no play-offs, 4 game sweep and now bubble play-off team I am not really sure that based on his record there is a whole lot worse than GG.

And then adding in his actual coaching decisions I think it really is tough to come up with a current worse coach in the NHL. There may be some who are just as bad but not sure that there are many, if any, worse.

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
TBH I still want Sutter back. I don't know if the styles would clash or not but he went to 3 finals in 10 years and was one game away from a 4th if I'm not mistaken. I think if anyone can take the current roster and make a contender it's him. I don't think Gulutzan is that bad though.

#Flames trying something new on PP...

Gaudreau-Tkachuk-Monahan
Hamilton-Giordano

Neat. I think if the power play were even alright we'd be 2nd in the division instead of losing ground in the wildcard race.

Reactions: InfinityIggy

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
TBH I still want Sutter back. I don't know if the styles would clash or not but he went to 3 finals in 10 years and was one game away from a 4th if I'm not mistaken. I think if anyone can take the current roster and make a contender it's him. I don't think Gulutzan is that bad though.

I think if not for his history with the team he would be a perfect fit and a real possibility to take over. I personally would take him back in a heartbeat but I doubt that the team will and wonder if he would want to come back himself.

Reactions: Dack

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
For this season at this stage, there wouldn’t be a better coach than Sutter. But I really want Q.

We should also be looking at Tippett.

Shawnofthedeadz

Jan 18, 2013
To be honest, I can't see how anyone can still support Gulutzan. We are worse than last season. Last season we were an average team with terrible goaltending. This season we are an average team with fantastic goaltending. If it wasn't for Smith, this team would likely be sitting worse than the Oilers right now. At this point, I have little confidence he will turn this team around to make the playoffs. Even if we do, unless the Flames make it out of the first round, I think Glen's coaching career for the Flames should be over.

I think if not for his history with the team he would be a perfect fit and a real possibility to take over. I personally would take him back in a heartbeat but I doubt that the team will and wonder if he would want to come back himself.
I don't think we should let history get in the way of making our team better at any opportunity. I don't think Sutter himself, would hold a grudge over an opportunity to coach again either. Darryl was always a good coach, but he took the opportunity to GM to mixed results. It's hard to say if the casual fan could differentiate but his success in LA likely would overshine all that. Whether or not he is the right fit for our team is a different story.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
To be honest, I can't see how anyone can still support Gulutzan. We are worse than last season. Last season we were an average team with terrible goaltending. This season we are an average team with fantastic goaltending. If it wasn't for Smith, this team would likely be sitting worse than the Oilers right now. At this point, I have little confidence he will turn this team around to make the playoffs. Even if we do, unless the Flames make it out of the first round, I think Glen's coaching career for the Flames should be over.

I don't think we should let history get in the way of making our team better at any opportunity. I don't think Sutter himself, would hold a grudge over an opportunity to coach again either. Darryl was always a good coach, but he took the opportunity to GM to mixed results. It's hard to say if the casual fan could differentiate but his success in LA likely would overshine all that. Whether or not he is the right fit for our team is a different story.

I don't think we're worse than last year. We're pretty much identical. Last year we were propped up by a 10 game + a 6 game winning streak. The rest of the year was .500 hockey. It's the same with this year, .500 hockey then a 7 game winning streak. Difference between this year and last though is our division got way better this year. This year the goaltending has been much more consistent overall though as last year they went stretches of really really good goaltending, then a stretch of awful goaltending.

Gulutzan just doesn't have the killer instinct as he coaches to play for OT rather than wins a lot of the time. We have some of the best advanced stats in the league, usually out chance the other team 5v5, we've had the lead in a lot of games where we end up losing. If the Flames played with any consistency, they'd be right with Vegas. I find the advanced stats to be so incredibly stupid as well. Some people live by them these days, which I don't agree with at all. Like, who cares if we outchance teams every game if we can only pot 1 or 2, it's meaningless. Results are all that matter and most nights we aren't getting it done offensively. I'll take 10 chances over 20, if the 10 lead to 4 goals over 2 in 20.

The power play alone should get at least 2/3 coaches fired (depends on if Jerrard has any input in it which I don't believe he does).

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Hopefully Gulutzan is watching the superbowl.

That's what winning coaches supposed to do :)

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I think Gully will be a very good coach long term. However, he's too much of a greenhorn to really understand how to take this current roster to new heights. I see a lot of Torts in his style. I think things would have been totally different if he was an assistant to a coach who used a rush styled system rather than cycle. We'd be watching something like an improvement to Hartley's system rather than a system that seems like it's an attempt to improve Tortorella's system. I agree that Gully doesn't seem like the right coach for this core and I also agree he't not a terrible coach. It's just square peg and round hole stuff going on right now.

TBH, my curiosity leans the most towards wondering what Sutter or Tippett could do with this crew. Q would be sweet, but I really don't see Chicago parting with him. I think Chicago will pluck that high pick and bounce right back with Q at the helm with excellent ELC talent to surround his core.

Sep 13, 2009
Who do you think it will be? Who would you like it to be? I say this because much like his predecessor, I think Glen Gulutzan has taken this team as far as he can. This team is in serious danger of missing the playoffs: sub .500 home record, atrocious PP/PK, the inability to score goals/generate more offence, et al. These are not the qualities of a contending team.

Nice hair though.

Last edited:

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Some of the days this thread is bumped are absolutely head scratching. It's like they don't watch the games and just think "oh look 2 losses in a row, fire the coach". I would not fault Gulutzan for anything against the Bruins, is he infallible? No. But the amount of hate he gets on here just shows off the stupidity of this fanbase more so than his abilities as a coach.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I hope there’s a change at seasons end. As I’ve said before, I don’t hate Gully, I think he’s incredibly smart, but I don’t think he’s best suited to be a head coach. This team is either playing at a very high level, or they seem to really struggle and cannot close teams out. They just lack a killer instinct. I also think he could be getting more from several guys.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I hope there’s a change at seasons end. As I’ve said before, I don’t hate Gully, I think he’s incredibly smart, but I don’t think he’s best suited to be a head coach. This team is either playing at a very high level, or they seem to really struggle and cannot close teams out. They just lack a killer instinct. I also think he could be getting more from several guys.
I'd be okay with him being replaced if there is a better option. But firing him for the sake of firing him when it's obvious (at least to me) his systems aren't anywhere near the problem that the players are.

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
I'd be okay with him being replaced if there is a better option. But firing him for the sake of firing him when it's obvious (at least to me) his systems aren't anywhere near the problem that the players are.
Which players do you think are a problem?

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Who do you think it will be? Who would you like it to be?

Bring Back Bob. This roster, with Rittich, Smith, Hamonic, Kulak, Stone, Jankowski, Lazar, Tkachuk, Mangiapane is far more suited to his style of play than the cobbled together depth pieces we supplied him with. This team would be the running for President Trophy under him. Hartley was also their emotional leader and a great in-game coach. Much like Carlyle -》 Boudreau -》 Carlyle, we've given this core an educational taste of a different, more structured style and nice guy coach, but it's time to implement those good habits with the right finishing touches. Our D need to block shots and rush the puck, our skilled forwards need a green light to fly the zone and receive a breakout pass in full stride with separation from the opponent. Gulutzan has been great in developing a guy like Monahan as a responsible center as was needed, but Hartley is the coach to put it all together.

Hartley's systems only worked for the top of our roster under him, because guys like Smid, Wideman, Jokipakka, Engelland, Granlund, Bouma, Jones, Bollig, etc just did not fit for a plethora of reasons. We have the depth to play his style now. We have a blue line that should be among the best in the NHL from 1 to 6. Let's use it instead of ignore it.

Last edited:

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
I’m on the fence with gulutzan. I think there also needs to be a thread on treliving. I’m not sure treliving knows how to construct a 2018 nhl roster. He seems a few years behind. We’re too slow in the bottom six and we have no sniper/shooter for two elite LW playmakers - gaudreau and Tkachuk. Frolik and ferland would be a dynamite 3rd line with jankowski. But they are our 1st and 2nd line wingers. Also did he misjudge the effect of hamonic turning this team into a contender? Should of insisted on lottery protection of that pick and walked away if snow didn’t bite.

Reactions: snipetype and Dack

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Agreed with body checker. That’s my biggest problem with Treliving.

He’s had 3 years to fill out this roster with good depth, and hasn’t really added any solid depth players.

Went after Hamonic and Stone, yet left a gaping hole in our bottom 6 F.

Even last year, for me it was Tolvanen or Valimaki. Didn’t make sense to pick Valimaki based on our asset base... but he did anyway.

Also agree with OKG, we have all these skilled offensive d-men yet play a system that cuts their legs off. That’s why I want Quenville because I think we have the pieces to bring back the Hawks style of play.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Which players do you think are a problem?
I'm not sure, but the struggles at home on the PP and PK, scream guys that can't do it under pressure. The difference between our home and road records is special teams. Basically whenever their is pressure to score a goal, or to prevent a goal, they choke. I don't think that's a coaching thing.

JGaudreau

Oct 9, 2015
Sutter (.565) , Tippett (.563) , Hartley (.554), Ruff(.561) > Gulutzan (.551)

Pick one.

The coaching systems aren't the problem? The same system that gave Troy Brouwer an A for more than a season, the same system that has a negative +/-, the same system that has way below average special teams, the same system that forces our 3rd best dman to play on the wrong side, the same system with a losing home record? That system is not a problem? Ok... those are some pretty rosy colored glasses.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
My biggest issue with Gully is, he was brought in being touted as a "player coach/motivator". And he's struggled handily at motivating this team when we needed it. The team had 10x more work ethic and fire under Hartley. It's a real shame/piss off that every time a new GM comes in he just NEEDS to change his coaching situation.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad