Gulutz-end

wasunder

Aug 21, 2014
What kind of system does Tippett implement? He looks like he had success with some mediocre teams. Would his system match our players?

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
What kind of system does Tippett implement? He looks like he had success with some mediocre teams. Would his system match our players?

He played a very defensive, smothering system in AZ, but look at the roster he had. He was coaching to win games. When he coached for Dallas and even for Team Canada, those teams never had issues scoring. I think management would tell him this is what we’re looking for, and there’s either a fit there or there isn’t. Players have had successful scoring years under him.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Kruger is Gulutzan but actually capable to motivating his players. But he made it clear he won't leave his current position easily; something about opportunity plus money.

Don't really want Tippett but he wouldn't be the worst choice. Bigger question with him is if ownership would be willing to pay the 3M or what have you required to bring him in.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
A win on NYE in his last game coached would sure be a nice way to soften the blow of firing GG.

Hopefully tomorrow he is gone.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Who's ultimately responsible for "specialty teams" (as our fearless leader puts it)

That's the person who needs to be given early release from their contract. And if it's Glen who is calling the shots regarding his staff, that's on him.

I did watch his most recent interview on Flames TV and he threw the special teams under the bus, so I do not think it's him lol.

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
Who's ultimately responsible for "specialty teams" (as our fearless leader puts it)

That's the person who needs to be given early release from their contract. And if it's Glen who is calling the shots regarding his staff, that's on him.
I think it’s pretty apparent that a head coach would have signed off on any decisions his assistant have made regarding special teams even if he’s delegated special teams to his assistants. I would think Glen has had his fair share of input into how he’s run our team.

I think the entirety of the coaching staff needs to go. I’m not optimistic about our next 4 games, but knowing Gulutzan he’ll probably find a way to do just enough to keep his job while the team is underachieving.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Kruger is Gulutzan but actually capable to motivating his players. But he made it clear he won't leave his current position easily; something about opportunity plus money.

Krueger has one season where his team finished 7th last, I don't get why people would want him.

The only fans I see bringing up his name are Flames fans so I have to think it is related somehow to Flames fans thinking he is better than he is because he was fired by the Oilers after only one year. Because there seems to be zero reason to want him to be the coach over the much better options out there.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017

Its the head coach. He may not run it day to day but he is responsible for either telling the guy who is to make changes, making those changes himself or changing who runs the PP.

If the Patriots offense sucks I doubt Belichek is saying "oh well that's McDaniels job so he better fix it." He is making the changes necessary despite having never directly coached the offensive side of the ball.

HC is in charge and responsible for everything.

CamPopplestone

Sep 27, 2017
All I want is if we do fire Glen is to put in a coach who will better use our D. We have a mobile, offensively inclined top 4 especially, and the current system doesn't really take advantage of the. Our actual defensive play on the back end is rather average and incredibly overrated, so we need to play to their strengths.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Hopefully that is because he realizes that he is getting canned and is desperate to do anything to try and show that he "cares" or is "doing things."

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Guy calls out some veterans yet still plays them way too much every game previous. I don't get it, like I like his message, but I don't like his actions. Like last night Stajan had 11 minutes and Bennett only had 1 more minute of ice-time, Janko 2 more minutes, and Lazar had 10 (should have 0). Stajan should see 2-3 shifts a period which would be about 6 minutes a night at most.

And I don't know who he means by Veterans because our group is fairly young these days and Gio has been real good and I don't see him slacking in practice.

Either way, hopefully this means he can get these guys going to start actual games rather than not showing up until the 2nd period of the last 10 minute of games. Because based on nothing, it seems like he may be feeling heat from Treliving and Co. and has a shorter leash these days to get things going.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
I can't make it out 100%, but I think he is calling out the captains and veterans. So that would definitely mean Brouwer and maybe Monahan if I heard the "captains" part correctly.

Guys must have been goofing off and/or not taking practice seriously cause he is 100% right, look at the standings, we're in 12th place and if the guys seem content and or aren't taking practice seriously then we're pretty boned.

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room
I can't make it out 100%, but I think he is calling out the captains and veterans. So that would definitely mean Brouwer and maybe Monahan if I heard the "captains" part correctly.

Guys must have been goofing off and/or not taking practice seriously cause he is 100% right, look at the standings, we're in 12th place and if the guys seem content and or aren't taking practice seriously then we're pretty boned.
The word captains was not said.

Shawnofthedeadz

Jan 18, 2013
To me this seems like Glen's just trying to repeat last season's rally. Glen is desperate as there is little doubt if the team does not make the playoffs his contract will be terminated. His tantrum could also be an indicator he has lost the ear of the team i.e. not taking his system seriously enough anymore. I trust the team more than him and we have always had a reputation for hard work. I seriously doubt Gio or Monahan were slouching. In fact, our reputation for hard work at practice often made me wonder if we were overdoing and not leaving enough in the tank to really excel during games. Therefore, my assessment is either Glen has lost the ear of the team, Glen is frustrated that the team isn't practicing the exact way he wants them to, or he is trying to rally his team like last seasons second half run.

Regardless if we make the playoffs last year, I think Glen has shown he is not talented enough to coach a team in the NHL. He biggest weakness being he fails to utilize his players at the right time. As others have mentioned, always rolling the lines is not an accepted strategy. More aggravatingly, he fails to play those who are hot more than those who are cold. I also question his ability to help players who struggle under his system. My hope is that he is gone next season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->