Gulutz-end

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
The word captains was not said.

f*** me.
We're so f***ing good, you check the f***ing standings? Let's f***ing GO <throws stick>. f***ing practice (shout out to AI). f***ing captains, I see one good game from some of you f***ing veteran guys. Let's f***ing practice, let's go!

Shakespearean if you ask me.

Reactions: Sk8M8

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room
it kept freezing on me, that must be when captains was said, I watched twice (froze in the same spot both times)

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Been to a couple Gulutzan practices. Wasn't impressed at all with how the team worked. Both times they looked like they were out for a Sunday skate. Hartley's were much more structured and intense in comparison.

I don't mind him tuning them in once and a while but how are you supposed to take a guy seriously when he's hurling sticks into the luxury boxes. Thumbs down

Reactions: Sk8M8

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
(Not mine)

26694717_10213508197832983_1774327776_n.jpg

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
At some point it's on the players.

Gulutzan is mild compared to D. Sutter, Keenan, B. Sutter and Hartley. Who do these guys want for a coach, a kindergarten teacher?...."Now let's talk about our feelings"

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
The season is so long and so many ups and downs. As fans we've looked at this team as one of the worst in the NHL to now one of the best. The one stat last night that really stood out for me was we are on a 16 game streak of giving up 3 or less goals per game. That's the longest streak of the season in the NHL. It's also still an active streak. Give the coaching staff credit. Now we are seeing the pucks go in versus a month ago when we couldn't buy a goal. The posts and crossbars seem to also now be going our way.

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room
The season is so long and so many ups and downs. As fans we've looked at this team as one of the worst in the NHL to now one of the best. The one stat last night that really stood out for me was we are on a 16 game streak of giving up 3 or less goals per game. That's the longest streak of the season in the NHL. It's also still an active streak. Give the coaching staff credit. Now we are seeing the pucks go in versus a month ago when we couldn't buy a goal. The posts and crossbars seem to also now be going our way.
Some well needed sanity. Thank you.

Reactions: Kahvi

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
I have nothing new to contribute, so I'll just quote my own message from 28th December.

Something like this is gonna happen sooner or later. Both Gaudreau and Monahan are around 0.5PPG in December (don't kill me if I remember it wrong), that pace is not gonna last. This team has showed before it can go on a streak where they win 7/10 or something. Let the guys have a beer on a train, have a proper bench clearing fight with Vancouver or whatever works to make them feel more relaxed and start scoring again.

I admit, I couldn't guess Gulutzan throwing his stick to the stands would be the trigger.

Reactions: Bounces R Way

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room
I have nothing new to contribute, so I'll just quote my own message from 28th December.

I admit, I couldn't guess Gulutzan throwing his stick to the stands would be the trigger.
Was it the trigger? The winning streak started before he threw the stick (it was between games 2 and 3) and they completely dominated LA the night before. I'm not naive enough to say it didn't help extend this streak and I think the timing of it was perfect since the team hadn't won three games in a row since game 4 of the season, but I also think giving it all the credit is a little short sighted too.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
Was it the trigger? The winning streak started before he threw the stick (it was between games 2 and 3) and they completely dominated LA the night before. I'm not naive enough to say it didn't help extend this streak and I think the timing of it was perfect since the team hadn't won three games in a row since game 4 of the season, but I also think giving it all the credit is a little short sighted too.

Honestly, I have no idea how much that had effect. But the results at least show it wasn't a bad move.

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room
Honestly, I have no idea how much that had effect. But the results at least show it wasn't a bad move.
Oh definitely, I think it was needed as well. As I said, I think the timing was quite interesting, to the point where I'm not sure that him making a scene was a coincidence. Even as fans we'd noticed after winning 2 in a row the team would go on to lose a couple/few in a row, what better way to break that trend than blow a gasket, when you are a pretty mild mannered guy.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
Oh definitely, I think it was needed as well. As I said, I think the timing was quite interesting, to the point where I'm not sure that him making a scene was a coincidence. Even as fans we'd noticed after winning 2 in a row the team would go on to lose a couple/few in a row, what better way to break that trend than blow a gasket, when you are a pretty mild mannered guy.

Absolutely. I think GG was saying dont get too comfortable after we win 1 or 2 games.

Shouting to players work to a certain point, and like you said, it has a bigger effect when it comes from a quiet guy. Coaches who shout all the time have a shelf life (Keenan, Tortorella etc)

Reactions: Method Man

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room
Absolutely. I think GG was saying dont get too comfortable after we win 1 or 2 games.

Shouting to players work to a certain point, and like you said, it has a bigger effect when it comes from a quiet guy. Coaches who shout all the time have a shelf life (Keenan, Tortorella etc)
I think we saw it from Gully last year too, he never let up on the guys during the 10 game run last year. I just hope a more mature team will respond better once the streak ends, however many games that might be.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I think Gully had that planned to an extent. Maybe not throwing a stick, but losing it in general. I think he was feeling pressure himself and knew he needed to make a statement. I 100% agree with Meth that the timing could not have been better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->