Guess the 2019-20 Lineup

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Exactly what is your problem with Iafallo dressed as a King? What is it that you've seen him fail to do that other wingers on the Kings have done better for him to battle for a roster spot?
As in on the first line, or on the roster period?
Battle for a roster spot? No, he won't be battling for a roster spot. He'll be a starting forward anywhere from the 1st to 3rd lines.
My opinion on Iafallo is that he's a classic tweener; can't score enough for a top 6 role and doesn't bring anything to the bottom 6 that a zillion other guys couldn't.

Last year he played on adrenaline and brought a buzz to the top line. I respect that. But it's not sustainable.

If we look at him objectively, he's the caliber of player that would have to battle for a roster spot on most teams in the NHL. On the Kings he's on the top line.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Kovalchuck-Kopitar-Brown
Iafallo-Duchene-Toffoli
Grundstorm-Kempe-Leispic
Clifford-Amadio-Wagner
Luff-Brodzinski

Forbort-Dougty
Fantenberg/FA-Walker
Phaneuf-Roy
McDermid/LaDue

Petersen
Campbell

Duchene is signing with LA? What did we get back for Quick?

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Kings should try to get Gusev out of Las Vegas. Him and Prokhorkin look really good together this season. Gusev - Prokhorkin - Kovalchuk can be a great line for you.

The only problem, as I understand, your head coach isn't the biggest Russian hockey fan.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
My opinion on Iafallo is that he's a classic tweener; can't score enough for a top 6 role and doesn't bring anything to the bottom 6 that a zillion other guys couldn't.

Last year he played on adrenaline and brought a buzz to the top line. I respect that. But it's not sustainable.

If we look at him objectively, he's the caliber of player that would have to battle for a roster spot on most teams in the NHL. On the Kings he's on the top line.

1st line, yes, shouldn't be there. Which teams wouldn't Iafallo be on in some capacity though? Most? As in at least 16 of 31 teams? I think that's going too far. Take one depth forward off a team around the league, and put Iafallo in there, and he doesn't make sense?

I guess it just depends on what you mean by battle for a spot. Like he'd be shuffling between the NHL and AHL, or he'd be the 11th forward?

Mats26

Vet Movement - What's the Maatta?
Sep 16, 2005
Kovalchuck-Kopitar-Brown
Iafallo-Duchene-Toffoli
Grundstorm-Kempe-Leispic
Clifford-Amadio-Wagner
Luff-Brodzinski

Forbort-Dougty
Fantenberg/FA-Walker
Phaneuf-Roy
McDermid/LaDue

Petersen
Campbell

Did we just get picks and prospects for Martinez, Quick and Carter?

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
1st line, yes, shouldn't be there. Which teams wouldn't Iafallo be on in some capacity though? Most? As in at least 16 of 31 teams? I think that's going too far. Take one depth forward off a team around the league, and put Iafallo in there, and he doesn't make sense?

I guess it just depends on what you mean by battle for a spot. Like he'd be shuffling between the NHL and AHL, or he'd be the 11th forward?
I think nowadays the difference between an organization's top AHL players and bottom tier NHL players is fairly slim. I don't think Iafallo is much better than Leipsic, Luff, Wagner, Clifford, Lewis, Amadio ect.

His production relative to his ice time is terrible.

He can't produce enough for a top 6 role. If you put him in the bottom 6 what's he going to do for you that the aforementioned players can't?

So as extreme as it might sound, yes I believe he should have to battle those other guys for a roster spot.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
I think they view Iafallo as a championship caliber bottom six guy. Now they just need to add the type of players that are going to push him down to that role. As long as he's regularly playing in the top 6 the team is probably in big trouble.

Reactions: Ollie Weeks

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there
Iaffalo Kopitar Brown
Kempe Kupari Grundstrom
Luff Carter Brodzinski
Clifford Amadio Wagner
Leipsic/Rempal

Forbort Doughty
Fantenberg Walker
Clague Roy
Phaneuf

Petersen
Campbell

Trade Kovy, Toffoli, Lewis, LaDue, and Martinez at deadline for whatever you can get.

Trade Quick at the draft.

Pray Vilardi makes a full recovery.

Hope that a guy like Mikey Anderson blows everyone away at camp cause the defense is not inspiring to say the least.

Last edited:
Reactions: Peter James Bond II

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
Trade Kovalchuk, Lewis, Forbort, and Campbell, Kings get Kakko, Vilardi recovers, embrace youth

Carter Kopitar Brown
Kempe Kupari Kakko
Iafallo Vilardi?? Toffoli
Grundstrom Amadio Wagner
Clifford Luff

Martinez Doughty
Fantenberg LaDue
Phaneuf Walker/Roy
MacDermid

Quick
Petersen

OR

Vilardi does not recover, Kings lose out on lottery, trade Campbell
Buy out Phaneuf to sign Panarin and go for it while in cap hell

Panarin Kopitar Kovalchuk
Iafallo Carter Toffoli
Grundstrom Kempe Brown
Clifford Amadio Wagner
Lewis Luff

Forbort Doughty
Phaneuf Martinez
Fantenberg LaDue/Walker/Roy
LaDue/Walker/Roy

Quick
Petersen

I'm hoping for option 1. It'd be fun to watch.

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
Vilardi, JAD, Kupari, Grunstrom, and Luff are all the young players that will be vying for spots next year.

Looks like Wagner has a spot locked up. Same with Walker. Amadio is in the mix as well.

Looks like the D can’t or won’t change much.

Doughty, Martinez, Forbort, Phaneuf and LaDue are the top 5 with contracts. Fattenberg is a UFA and Walker is in the mix. Roy is a RFA, but I see Walker making the team over him.

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
Over the Summer we expected our line-up to look something like this:

Kovalchuk-Kopitar-Brown
Pearson-Carter-Toffoli
Iafallo-Kempe-Brodzinski
Clifford-Lewis-Vilardi
*Amadio, Thompson

Forbort-Doughty
Muzzin-Martinez
Phaneuf-LaDue

How things have changed....

Reactions: LAKings88

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
Over the Summer we expected our line-up to look something like this:

Kovalchuk-Kopitar-Brown
Pearson-Carter-Toffoli
Iafallo-Kempe-Brodzinski
Clifford-Lewis-Vilardi
*Amadio, Thompson

Forbort-Doughty
Muzzin-Martinez
Phaneuf-LaDue

Quick
Campbell

How things have changed....

Pretty good chance as many as 9 could be (or already are) gone by opening night, added goaltenders just to complete the picture.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
I think, they won't trade Kovy because they wanna bring Prokhorkin for the next season. Two Russians is better, than one. And Prokhorkin is the better player right now between him and Kupari, I think, he's already able to be a solid top6 center in the NHL.

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there
I think, they won't trade Kovy because they wanna bring Prokhorkin for the next season. Two Russians is better, than one. And Prokhorkin is the better player right now between him and Kupari, I think, he's already able to be a solid top6 center in the NHL.
That would be a big add.

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
Well if we can trade Carter for Nicushkin and a pick that might help too.

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there
Returning as of now:

Iaffalo Kopi Brown
Kovy Carter Toffoli
Luff Kempe Grundstrom
Clifford Lewis Wagner

???-Chance at the team
Prohorkins, Kupari, Vilardi, Leipsic, Brodzinski, Amadio, Rempal, JAD, #1 Pick

Returning as of now:

Forbort Doughty
Amart Walker
Roy Phaneuf
LaDue

???-Chance at the team
Clague, M. Anderson

Doubt they sign any free agents.

Quick and Carter likely shopped at the draft. Not sure what return they’ll bring. Picks and b-c prospects?

Last edited:
Reactions: DoktorJeep

Peter James Bond II

Mar 5, 2015
Iaffalo Kopi Brown
Kovy Kempe Kupari
Leipsic JAD Luff / Grundstrom
Clifford Amadio Wagner

possible drafting of Hughes / Kakko changes this.

Forbort Doughty
Amart Walker
Clague Phanuef

Kupari will be a center. Might be best to break him in at RW. See if he earns a spot in camp. Sign Leipsic. Try to deal Phaneuf, but will fail. Get rid of Carter any way possible.
Trade Toffoli and Lewis.

Carter cannot be on this team. 59 games, 14 even strength points. Has to be worse alltime NHL stats for 2nd line center. He's done. More than Richards was done. No goals
last 13 games. Not a single plus in +/- in those 13 games. 7.4 S%. 5 even strength goals in 59 games. How can you ice a 2nd line ctr with 5 ESG in 59 games and compete? You can't.
Compare that to Leipsic - 38 games with Kings and 14 even strength points; from all kinds of lines and combos. The above lineup is not looking great, but Carter brings it to lower levels even moreso and will be 35. Must keep culling 30+ year olds - Carter, Lewis for starters and trade Toffoli. Goalies? Would trade Quick and sign Petersen bridge contract. Would love to trade Forbort if possible and get a decent, 27-30 yr old LHD vet to play with DD. Open to signing Porkins, which makes Iafallo 3rd line and may push Luff out. I believe in Luff and that he will be good. 24 pts in 19 games in Ontario. He's emerging and has a pretty well rounded game - more overall skills and ability than Wagner, but love Wagner. Let Grundstrom and Luff battle it out. If JAD not ready, no big deal, he starts in Ontario. I think he makes the team. Amadio is not ideally a 4th line ctr, but has played well last month and would rather have him than Lewis. Kupari will be a center. He plays 200 feet and need that speed in the middle. He makes plays and is a center. Don't bitch about Kempe. Kempe is good and produces in top 6 and when playing with more talented players. Kempe has 5 goals, 5 assists, 10 pts in last 14 games. he's a second line player on this team...3rd line, once have better players.

In a Quick or Toffoli trade, try to get a 26-30 yr old LHD that can play with DD. Package more if needed. Not sure what becomes of Brickley, or Roy, for that matter. Off season decisions.

Last edited:

KingPuckChoo

Go kinGs Go !
Jun 24, 2007
Vilardi going from:

b83db65b77709ebd4579e8f8096c282e--funny-advertising-funny-ads.jpg

to:

Bure.jpg.eb6d144f28d80791b1f8fce69b927c1e.jpg

in less than 12 months?

ha! keep dreaming

Ad

Upcoming events