Guerin Named New Wild GM

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Good riddance?

I am not going to pretend that I know what he was doing, but most people seem to hate him and I am not a big fan of fairly recently retired players in high management positions, so I guess I am happy he is gone.

Who's next in line here now?

I go back to what I have said before.

While you can not know 100 percent for sure if the thoughts regarding Billy G. are fair or unfair, you can read between the lines of what we do know and make some reasonable educated guesses.

What things do we know?

1. JR came over as one of the early adopters of going all in on analytics and brought his analytics team led by Karmanos with him.

2, The commitment to analytics have only grown with the hiring of Sam Ventura who co-founded the hockey analytics website war-on-ice.com.

3. The Penguins the last couple of years especially have been a team at war with itself in competing incompatable visions for the team. It is beyond obvious that there have been a segment who has gone all in for four lines of speed, youth and possession, and a faction that wants that old time hockey size and grit. So we had this weird hybrid that did not work for either vision or team direction. It also caused pretty much all of the bad trades the last couple of years, trades that everyone knew were boners from the moment that they were made.

So you add 1+2+3 and you have to ask who in the FO is most likely to be the size queen. Add that Billy G looks like he has been hit in the head once too often and it is a fairly good educated guess who has been to blame for being at war with the team identity that won back to back cups.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
It’s impossible to know exactly what he was doing behind the scenes, or what moves he was responsible for. He’s a good dude by all accounts and I wish him well.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Funny you mention Glass, he was just hired by NYR today as a player development assistant.

Imagine being Kappo Kakko and having to listen to advice from Tanner Effing Glass

This is the funniest thing I've heard at least all week. The horror. What is he going to teach him to do? Slam it off the boards but not out? How to never score ever even on wide open nets?

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
I go back to what I have said before.

While you can not know 100 percent for sure if the thoughts regarding Billy G. are fair or unfair, you can read between the lines of what we do know and make some reasonable educated guesses.

What things do we know?

1. JR came over as one of the early adopters of going all in on analytics and brought his analytics team led by Karmanos with him.

2, The commitment to analytics have only grown with the hiring of Sam Ventura who co-founded the hockey analytics website war-on-ice.com.

3. The Penguins the last couple of years especially have been a team at war with itself in competing incompatable visions for the team. It is beyond obvious that there have been a segment who has gone all in for four lines of speed, youth and possession, and a faction that wants that old time hockey size and grit. So we had this weird hybrid that did not work for either vision or team direction. It also caused pretty much all of the bad trades the last couple of years, trades that everyone knew were boners from the moment that they were made.

So you add 1+2+3 and you have to ask who in the FO is most likely to be the size queen. Add that Billy G looks like he has been hit in the head once too often and it is a fairly good educated guess who has been to blame for being at war with the team identity that won back to back cups.
i would like to agree......but..... wasn't it bg that thought it was a good idea to trade fatty for lovejoy? just asking.

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
This is the funniest thing I've heard at least all week. The horror. What is he going to teach him to do? Slam it off the boards but not out? How to never score ever even on wide open nets?

I know we all hate on Tanner Glass, but we can't assume that since he was a dbag as a player means he can't be valuable as a FO guy.
(there's a part of me that kinda hopes he doesn't succeed though)

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Billy G's reaction while he was being informed that he got the GM job.

some_of_the_funniest_fails_of_drunk_people_12.gif

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I know we all hate on Tanner Glass, but we can't assume that since he was a dbag as a player means he can't be valuable as a FO guy.
(there's a part of me that kinda hopes he doesn't succeed though)

Oh I know. Honestly those with sublime natural ability typically make not-so-great coaches and whatnot because, in my opinion, it's difficult to translate "just do the thing... like I did. Easy!" to instruction.

Glass stands as good a chance as anyone in being a decent developmental coach or FO guy. He seemed to have a fairly sharp mind. I'm just funnin'

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
Funny you mention Glass, he was just hired by NYR today as a player development assistant.

Imagine being Kappo Kakko and having to listen to advice from Tanner Effing Glass

“Really want you to work on putting pucks into wide open nets this summer Kakko”

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Oh I know. Honestly those with sublime natural ability typically make not-so-great coaches and whatnot because, in my opinion, it's difficult to translate "just do the thing... like I did. Easy!" to instruction.

Glass stands as good a chance as anyone in being a decent developmental coach or FO guy. He seemed to have a fairly sharp mind. I'm just funnin'

Oh, I do not make a correlation between on the ice/field ability or career and ability to coach. Some great coaches had extremely limited careers and what careers that they did have were often mostly because of their smarts and instincts, not ability. Numerous examples exist of great coaches who had small careers. The opposite is true as well, just because they had great careers does not mean that they would make great coaches/FO people.

I have no clue about Glass. I gave my rational for my opinion of Billy G which is a different situation.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I was neutral on most if not all matters regarding Billy G. That said I wish him well as GM of the Wild.

Reactions: Jaded-Fan

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Isn't there a legit pick or something that comes our way regarding stuff like that? I just feel like i've seen this before.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad