Guerin Named New Wild GM

Clare2904

LEGEND!
Oct 22, 2016
Montreal
"Guerin was in every trade conversation the past few years and somebody Rutherford relied upon for advice and analysis."

From the Athletic article.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
"Guerin was in every trade conversation the past few years and somebody Rutherford relied upon for advice and analysis."

From the Athletic article.

Well... their trades were, um... mostly good. It was their FA acquisitions that were crippling. So not sure how to read that.

In any case I don't much care for Guerin and still not altogether certain what exactly his role here even was but congrats to him for the step up. I wish him well.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
So... Rust and JJ to Minnesota? :naughty:

Will be fun to see what he does.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Good riddance?

I am not going to pretend that I know what he was going, but most people seem to hate him and I am not a big fan of fairly recently retired players in high management positions, so I guess I am happy he is gone.

Who's next in line here now?

Craig Adams and Tanner Glass return as the new AGM power-duo!

Reactions: farscape1

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
Good riddance?

I am not going to pretend that I know what he was going, but most people seem to hate him and I am not a big fan of fairly recently retired players in high management positions, so I guess I am happy he is gone.

I think someone mentioned that Karmanos was gonna absorb Guerin's responsibilities? Velucci is also an option.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Good riddance?

I am not going to pretend that I know what he was doing, but most people seem to hate him and I am not a big fan of fairly recently retired players in high management positions, so I guess I am happy he is gone.

I think someone mentioned that Karmanos was gonna absorb Guerin's responsibilities? Velucci is also an option.

There's a bunch of possibilities but judging from the recent article on the Athletic on this, there's no guarantee another AGM is named immediately but if there is its most likely to be Scott Young, with it also being possible/likely that Karmanos and Vellucci will take on extra responsibilities.

Edit: Found the article - Basically:

“It could be an internal move,” Rutherford said Friday. “It could be that (Guerin’s) responsibilities get added into somebody’s job. That’s why you build options within an organization, so you have people who can pick up if somebody leaves.”
AND
“I may or may not make a decision right away.”
Rutherford said he would also “be comfortable” moving forward with Karmanos as the Penguins’ only assistant GM.
AND
Though he did not dismiss considering external candidates to possibly replace Guerin, Rutherford said he would not hire a current assistant with another club.

Also, Young and Vellucci are the two internal options for taking over day to day running of WBS.

Well... their trades were, um... mostly good. It was their FA acquisitions that were crippling. So not sure how to read that.

In any case I don't much care for Guerin and still not altogether certain what exactly his role here even was but congrats to him for the step up. I wish him well.

That seems a little generous; personally I think the trading record from the B2B up until Sprong-Pettersson was abysmal, and some of the post-Sprong-Pettersson trades may yet turn sour as well. Not all of that's on them but can you imagine where we'd be if all of the assets that were used in trades that eventually led to the Bjugstad-McCann deal had been used on deals that worked?

Last edited:

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh

tenor.gif

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
That seems a little generous; personally I think the trading record from the B2B up until Sprong-Pettersson was abysmal, and some of the post-Sprong-Pettersson trades may yet turn sour as well. Not all of that's on them but can you imagine where we'd be if all of the assets that were used in trades that eventually led to the Bjugstad-McCann deal had been used on deals that worked?

Fair enough. I won't even fight that, honestly. I think he managed to pull a few off that improved their situation in the last couple of seasons (Florida boys last year) and obviously some early on (Scuderi swap... Hagelin). But they were usually only in that situation in the first place because he was... you guessed it... "correcting a mistake."

Maybe make less unforced mistakes?

Plus also... you know... just trying to be a little magnanimous on the way out. Like I said... I don't much care for the guy at all.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Fair enough. I won't even fight that, honestly. I think he managed to pull a few off that improved their situation in the last couple of seasons (Florida boys last year) and obviously some early on (Scuderi swap... Hagelin). But they were usually only in that situation in the first place because he was... you guessed it... "correcting a mistake."

Maybe make less unforced mistakes?

The Penguins' front office trading record from Kessel to Hainsey was virtually perfect it's true.

Ultimately we'll never know for sure how much credit (or 'credit') Guerin deserves for each of those periods.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad