Guerin Named New Wild GM

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
All signs pointed to BG being a guy who wanted us to move away to some bigger guys. But that's with very limited knowledge and implying quite a bit. I honestly dont care either way but am happy he got a chance to shine. Good on him. Thank you for 2009.

Bettman got rid of a couple of years ago. He wasnt a fan.

Thank you. :)

Reactions: Jaded-Fan

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I honestly have no idea what if any input Guerin had in some of JR's bad moves the past few years, so it would be foolish of me to say thank god Guerin is gone or whatever.

Hopefully this isn't a bad thing for us.

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
I know people are joking about shipping JJ to Minny now, but is there any rule that would prevent them from trading him there since Minnesota just hired one of their prior front office guys?

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I know people are joking about shipping JJ to Minny now, but is there any rule that would prevent them from trading him there since Minnesota just hired one of their prior front office guys?

None that I'm aware of.

I still think it's a pipe dream, regardless. I can't think of anything that has indicated Guerin is an enthusiastic JJ backer. At least that I can recall.

Reactions: Jaded-Fan

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
None that I'm aware of.

I still think it's a pipe dream, regardless. I can't think of anything that has indicated Guerin is an enthusiastic JJ backer. At least that I can recall.

I also don't think it's likely to happen, I was more curious about if the NHL had something in place because a handshake deal like that could easily be made

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Guerin is NOT stupid enough to trade for a plodding no talent hack like JJ just because he is enamored with old time hockey size.

He will trade for a different plodding no talent hack because he is enamored with old time hockey size.

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
Guerin is NOT stupid enough to trade for a plodding no talent hack like JJ just because he is enamored with old time hockey size.

He will trade for a different plodding no talent hack because he is enamored with old time hockey size.

Yeah I feel like if he would want any defenseman from us it would be Gud

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I wonder if the Minny board would accept Nubs' incoming masterpiece as a GM-warming gift?

On loan and with proper credit... of course.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I was neutral on most if not all matters regarding Billy G. That said I wish him well as GM of the Wild.
Billy G really only had like what, 1.5yrs as the GM of WBS? We really only know that he was good with the player development thing because when he was in that role, players spoke highly of his approach and mentorship. I think he was supposedly instrumental in a lot of the college kids we ended up with as UFA's (@ColePens boy ZAR, Sheary, etc).

I think he'll do a good job in Minnesota. For me, you never want to hire a guy you're grooming to be the next GM because for one, he's too close to what the GM is doing and what is already being done, he's developed biases before he takes over as the GM, I always prefer outside guys in that role, so I am not sure who the Pens are going to bring in to be JR's replacement or G's replacement, but I hope Billy does well.

His mark will be easier to see being made on a team like the Wild because they're so destroyed, it's not like he's inheriting a contender and riding off of that.

Reactions: Ryder71

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Yeah but Minn doesn’t need a RD...but if you look at their current defense on capfriendly they could use an experienced LD...
51X8XmOiVDL.jpg

I'd post the Jack Johnson I am talking about, but his face makes me angry, this guy makes terrible music and has a less punchable face, but same name.

Same same, but different, but still the same and all that...

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Johnson/Rust for Seeler/Hartman??

Lol...Seeler sucks just as bad as JJ, that’s why I was suggesting JJ for them...I think you’ve found even a worse outcome for the Pens than the current status quo...

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
All signs pointed to BG being a guy who wanted us to move away to some bigger guys. But that's with very limited knowledge and implying quite a bit. I honestly dont care either way but am happy he got a chance to shine. Good on him. Thank you for 2009.

I'm also happy that it means JR will have a new fresher voice in his inner circle. I don't think it'll be someone completely new, but at this point I think moving away from BG and getting someone else in there can only be a good thing.

I honestly have no idea what if any input Guerin had in some of JR's bad moves the past few years, so it would be foolish of me to say thank god Guerin is gone or whatever.

Hopefully this isn't a bad thing for us.

I hear you. But even if BG was completely opposed to those signings, the fact that he couldn't be persuasive enough to sway JR is enough for me to want someone else in his position. And I like Tanev and am not nearly as bothered by his contract as most are.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
You just know this FO is practically shittin' it's pants trying to figure a way they can immediately promote Cullen to the vacated position.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I'm also happy that it means JR will have a new fresher voice in his inner circle. I don't think it'll be someone completely new, but at this point I think moving away from BG and getting someone else in there can only be a good thing.

I hear you. But even if BG was completely opposed to those signings, the fact that he couldn't be persuasive enough to sway JR is enough for me to want someone else in his position. And I like Tanev and am not nearly as bothered by his contract as most are.

Isn't the successor to Bill Guerin, an old hat from Carolina?

Edit: Jason Karmanos was with the Carolina Hurricanes as AGM for 14yrs with JR, also son of the ex-owner of the Hurricanes.

"Fresh voice..." indeed.

Lol.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Re The whole "Was Billy G a bad influence thing"... I half-buy the idea, but also half-buy that it's simply that Rutherford is, ah, of an erratic and mercurial nature and drove the bus there and back again pretty much all by himself. I think seeing what his philosophy looks like at Minnesota will be interesting.

I'm also curious as to what players he might want from us. I feel like executives returning to their old team for all the depth pieces they liked better than the ones at their new org is pretty regular after all. I don't do hope enough to think Johnson, but I'm half thinking he might try to go for one of our forwards on the cheap if opportunity presents itself. I also think that, depending on what he thinks of Stalock, he might look at Jarry - it's not an org that has one waiting in the AHL insofar as I can see.

In any case - definitely congrats and thanks to him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad