Guerin Named New Wild GM

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
The post you quoted was about Karmanos, not Billy G.

I've never said Billy was a problem here, I don't know what his scope was as the Assistant GM, but as a Development Scout, he seemed to be highly praised by a lot of players and I wish the guy well.

Sorry for the confusion, it wasn't anything you said in particular I was just saying in general. I agree with you that people/fans whine too much. No patience and never let things play out it seems.

JBose7

Jun 7, 2013
I never saw the OT goal, a year short. I became a NHL/Pens fan in 95, the lockout shortened season. One thing I do miss is the Fox games on Sunday that year lol
I miss the highlighted puck with the raid trail and speeds of the shots lol.
....I actually do though..it was different

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
That has nothing to do with who was promoted. Pens were wanting to groom Fitzgerald, Botterill, and Guerin.

When Shero left, he took Fitzgerald with him to New Jersey.
Botterill basically saw his fast track and I think this was when JR was extended the first time.
Guerin left to be a GM with the Wild, JR is still our GM for the indefinite future and Guerin knows that.

But each one took over for the next for the Assistant GM's. If you think that Karmanos and his extensive experience isn't going to be the main AGM, I don't know what to tell you, they will add a 2nd AGM, but I would put money on Karmanos being the next right hand man for JR (which on the website, he already is).

I don't get why people are being so whiny about this, were people blind to this the whole ****ing time we had AGMs or what? Ignoring how everything went, they suddenly then decide to ignore how they've done things?

You're all smarter than that (i hope).

Ah. I think I've spotted what's going on.

I thought you were talking next in line to be Pens GM, not next in line to be a GM somewhere/next in line to be the most prominent AGM.

The former I'd argue with. Next in line to be the most prominent AGM, well... probably yeah. I'm not sure he'll be quite prominent though. I don't know if he's getting WBS, I don't know if he'll be getting press quotes. But I'm sure he'll be leaned on heavily and probably given extra responsibilities.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Karmanos left for the Pens not so long after JR became GM. He was VP of Hockey Ops when we had Fitzgerald and Botterill as AGM's and Guerin was Player Development.

When Fitz left, Guerin became AGM with Botts.
When Botts left, Karmanos became AGM with Guerin.

You see where this is going? Because it's literally where its going.

That's not quite how things happened.
Under Shero, Botterill was an Assistant GM, Fitzgerald was "Assistant to the GM", and Guerin was the Player Development Coach.

When Rutherford was hired, the first thing he announced (on 6/6/14) was that Botterill was promoted to "Associate GM", and both Fitzgerald and Guerin were promoted to "Assistant GMs". 6 days later (on 6/12/14), he announced that he had hired Karmanos as VP of Hockey Ops.
At this point, the Pens had a GM, an Associate GM, two Assistant GMs, and a VP of Hockey Ops.

Fitzgerald left to join Shero in NJ in 2015.
Botterill left to become GM of the Sabres in 2017, and shortly after that, Karmanos was promoted to Assistant GM, and Guerin was made GM of WB/S.

Karmanos is already an Assistant GM, and there's no VP of Hockey Ops in the wings, so the options would seem to be:
1. Promote someone from within. Possibly Scott Young, who is Director of Player Development, Patrik Allvin, who is Director of Amateur Scouting, or even Mike Velucci, though it seems more likely he'd just get GM of WB/S, but not AGM of Pittsburgh.
2. Hire a new AGM from outside the org.
3. Stick with just one AGM, which was standard for a long time, anyway.

There's a good chance they'll just make Velucci GM of WB/S, and do nothing else at this time, but if they do promote from within, my guess is that it'll be Allvin.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
Alvin was made the Director like a year ago wasnt he? Just for stability I dont know if theyd promote him again.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
KIRK WHERE ARE YOU
@KIRK in

iu

Reactions: Zirakzigil and KIRK

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
That's not quite how things happened.
Under Shero, Botterill was an Assistant GM, Fitzgerald was "Assistant to the GM", and Guerin was the Player Development Coach.

When Rutherford was hired, the first thing he announced (on 6/6/14) was that Botterill was promoted to "Associate GM", and both Fitzgerald and Guerin were promoted to "Assistant GMs". 6 days later (on 6/12/14), he announced that he had hired Karmanos as VP of Hockey Ops.
At this point, the Pens had a GM, an Associate GM, two Assistant GMs, and a VP of Hockey Ops.

Fitzgerald left to join Shero in NJ in 2015.
Botterill left to become GM of the Sabres in 2017, and shortly after that, Karmanos was promoted to Assistant GM, and Guerin was made GM of WB/S.

Karmanos is already an Assistant GM, and there's no VP of Hockey Ops in the wings, so the options would seem to be:
1. Promote someone from within. Possibly Scott Young, who is Director of Player Development, Patrik Allvin, who is Director of Amateur Scouting, or even Mike Velucci, though it seems more likely he'd just get GM of WB/S, but not AGM of Pittsburgh.
2. Hire a new AGM from outside the org.
3. Stick with just one AGM, which was standard for a long time, anyway.

There's a good chance they'll just make Velucci GM of WB/S, and do nothing else at this time, but if they do promote from within, my guess is that it'll be Allvin.

Makes sense. Let's see if they see that.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Alvin was made the Director like a year ago wasnt he? Just for stability I dont know if theyd promote him again.

Two years.

I think the question there is "What extra things are they expecting Allvin to do if he's called AGM?" Like, if he just got Karmanos' responsibilities and Karmanos got Botterill's, then Allvin would have oversight of analytics - no idea how much extra work that is - oversight of amateur scouting - basically what he already does - and I don't know how much more just general hockey stuff. It's possible that'd be pretty stable if the extra stuff isn't that huge.

My guess would be Scott Young. The beat reporters have mentioned him more often, he's been in situ longer, the team promotes from Player Development more often than from Amateur Scouting, and we just got another Player Development guy to help carry the load.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Maybe GMJR can pawn JJ off on him. Actually Guerin needs to make some decisions here as they need to begin the unloading of bad contracts so maybe a deal can be made here.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
Two years.

I think the question there is "What extra things are they expecting Allvin to do if he's called AGM?" Like, if he just got Karmanos' responsibilities and Karmanos got Botterill's, then Allvin would have oversight of analytics - no idea how much extra work that is - oversight of amateur scouting - basically what he already does - and I don't know how much more just general hockey stuff. It's possible that'd be pretty stable if the extra stuff isn't that huge.

My guess would be Scott Young. The beat reporters have mentioned him more often, he's been in situ longer, the team promotes from Player Development more often than from Amateur Scouting, and we just got another Player Development guy to help carry the load.
I was thinking of maybe hiring another teams Director of Amateur scouting. Maybe target teams like Tampa/San Jose that have great drafting. Those guys obviously have good talent recognition.

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Two years.

I guessed Allvin because, a) he's been with the Pens for longer, b) Director of Amateur Scouting is a fairly common stepping stone to GM positions, c) he's been a more public face of the team than Young has, and d) he clearly has the trust of JR.

That said, I wouldn't be at all surprised if they went with Young, instead (assuming they even promote from within in the first place).

Reactions: Peat

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad